Old August 23rd 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Lack of road markings in Kensington & Chelsea

Robin May wrote:

"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote the following
in:

A number of people have referred to the "give way to the right"
method that is in force in parts of Europe, Isn't it about time we
had a similar "give way to the left" rule in the UK?

Wouldn't that just be the reverse of a mini-roundabout? If so, why not
just have a give way to the right rule so that unmarked junctions were
treated as mini-roundabouts.

I was quite amazed by the reference to the UK having no equivalent of
France's "give way to the right" rule, because here in Australia we have
a "give way to the right" rule, and I assumed the rights of way were the
same. It makes sense in left driving countries, because the traffic on
the right has priority in other situations (notably when merging).
Having France do likewise despite driving on the other side of the road
sounds very dangerous.

However, at least in Adelaide, very few crossroads require all traffic
to do so. Many are marked, and nearly all of the rest have the gutter
crossing the road where traffic has to give way.

Even so, I'm quite concerned. Back in 1993, when I originally applied
for a learner's permit I failed the written test. The first section,
which required every question to be answered correctly, required the car
with the right of way to be circled. At an unmarked crossroads, I
circled the going straigt ahead, but the car turning right into the same
road had priority. They'd even put the same question in a second time,
rotated 90°, to try and catch out more people. At least I was
consistent!

Considering you can trade in one country's licence for another's, I'm
wondering how many people out there misunderstand the rights of way.

BTW John, you're theory about the council thinking it's a private drive
seems rather unlikely to me. The council are unlikely not to know
whether a road is theirs or not, and if you look in your phonebooksize
street directory, you'll find it isn't a private road. Unless the AA
have got it wrong, of course.

Old August 23rd 04, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Brimstone" wrote in message

Do people habitually and deliberately run along this "blacktop/grass
interface" that most English speaking people call "the edge of the road"?

A study of many country lanes will indicate that most of the potholes at the
edge of the road are caused by heavy vehicles being in that position. Their
tyre marks are added proof.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old August 23rd 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Henry wrote:

"Paul Weaver"

Paul,

Don't know why, but every time I open one of your posts I get a message
about installing a Greek language pack.

Because he's posting in "text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-7", which is a
Greek character set.
Old August 23rd 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Henry" wrote in message
"Paul Weaver"

Paul,

Don't know why, but every time I open one of your posts
I get a message about installing a Greek language pack.

That's because his newsreader is buggered.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 26th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:47:30 +0100, Dave Newt wrote:

Henry wrote:

"Paul Weaver"

Paul,

Don't know why, but every time I open one of your posts I get a message
about installing a Greek language pack.

Because he's posting in "text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-7", which is a
Greek character set.

Whoops, sorry. Posted a few greek things in my past, shanged it to -1
which I think Windows has by default, albeit old and american (no euro)

Old August 26th 04, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In article ,
Paul Weaver wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:47:30 +0100, Dave Newt wrote:

Because he's posting in "text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-7", which is a
Greek character set.

Whoops, sorry. Posted a few greek things in my past, shanged it to -1
which I think Windows has by default, albeit old and american (no euro)

-15 is the euro version ... if only this newsreader did charsets though !
I saw your postings as clear if they were in ASCII :-)

Nick
--
"And we will be restoring neurotypicality just as soon as we are sure
what is normal anyway. Thank you". -- not quite DNA
Old August 26th 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:48:57 +0000, Nick Leverton wrote:

In article ,
Paul Weaver wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:47:30 +0100, Dave Newt wrote:

Because he's posting in "text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-7", which is a
Greek character set.

Whoops, sorry. Posted a few greek things in my past, shanged it to -1
which I think Windows has by default, albeit old and american (no euro)

-15 is the euro version ... if only this newsreader did charsets though !
I saw your postings as clear if they were in ASCII :-)

I considered -15, but then figured someone might moan about windows
popping up an "you are reading an unauthorised post, if you wish to read
European messagese, please subscribe to 'Windows Plus', for only $49.99 a
year" or something.

You really should upgrade your newsreader. I'm not sure its wise to run a
"test" version thats 3 years out of date (is trn updated anymoroe,
apt-cache seems to think the latest version is 4.0-test76-8 or 3.6-17)
Old August 26th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In article ,
Paul Weaver wrote:

I considered -15, but then figured someone might moan about windows
popping up an "you are reading an unauthorised post, if you wish to read
European messagese, please subscribe to 'Windows Plus', for only $49.99 a
year" or something.

Heh...

You really should upgrade your newsreader. I'm not sure its wise to run a
"test" version thats 3 years out of date (is trn updated anymoroe,
apt-cache seems to think the latest version is 4.0-test76-8 or 3.6-17)

trn4-test76 is the latest, I've been running it for years ;-) True
development has stalled, but it's very powerful, and does what I
want, if occasionally slowly and with a lot of arcane keypresses :-)
Still if anyone sees this I'd be interested in an updated version with
character sets.

Nick
Old August 27th 04, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote in message
But why does one road or the other have to have priority?

IIRC, the Warboys Report concluded that it was a good idea.

A number of people have referred to the "give way to the right" method

that
is in force in parts of Europe, Isn't it about time we had a similar "give
way to the left" rule in the UK?

Even in France, the bastion of priority from the right, it is now so little
used that you will usually find a warning sign at those junctions where it
still applies. In villages, the same effect is usually achieved by putting a
stop line across the main road where a side road joins from the right.

Colin Bignell

Old August 27th 04, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"PeterE" wrote in message
Personally I'd love roads without any signs or markings. I don't think you
would.

I'm old enough to remember driving roads that were substantially without
markings and I also remember how much easier it became to drive,
particularly in rural areas, when the present markings started to come into
use in the mid 1960s.

Colin Bignell