Old August 22nd 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Public Transport in Warsaw

Colin Rosenstiel wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 22 Aug 2004:

In article ,
(Annabel Smyth) wrote:

I've just returned from a very unexpected week's holiday in Warsaw -
husband had to go on business, and took me with him - and thought you
might like to know about the public transport system there.

You did better than my wife and I and elder daughter managed! We never did
work out what ticket to buy nor find a kiosk apparently selling them so
walked everywhere, not a big problem, we found.

Not really - but really, it was impossible to miss the kiosks, they were
totally ubiquitous in their yellow-and-green livery, and anyway, they
all said "Bilety" on them.... not a hugely intuitive leap to realise
that meant "tickets", I found. Actually, the one that wasn't intuitive
was "Papierosy", which I thought at first must be newspapers, and it
wasn't until nearly the end of the week I realised *must* be
cigarettes/tobacco!

In Krakow we did walk everywhere, apart from a coach trip which was
pre-arranged (I think).

I wish we had been able to get to Krakow; we were hoping to, but
pressures of work.....
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 22nd 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Terry Harper wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 22 Aug 2004:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message

You did better than my wife and I and elder daughter managed! We never did
work out what ticket to buy nor find a kiosk apparently selling them so
walked everywhere, not a big problem, we found.

They used to be everywhere, with the letters RUCH on the top. Did nobody
tell you?

They still are, and it explained in the guidebooks what to look for
(but, alas, not what to ask for, and I should have got the hotel to
write it down for me, but we managed!)

Old August 22nd 04, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
Terry Harper wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 22 Aug 2004:

They used to be everywhere, with the letters RUCH on the top. Did nobody
tell you?

They still are, and it explained in the guidebooks what to look for
(but, alas, not what to ask for, and I should have got the hotel to
write it down for me, but we managed!)

Presumably the fact that your postillion has been struck by lightning does
not automatically indicate your wish to buy a tram ticket, or a strip of
them. In Russia they call a strip of 10 tickets a book or "kniga", but there
you buy them from the driver.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old August 22nd 04, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:

Actually, the one that wasn't intuitive
was "Papierosy", which I thought at first must be newspapers, and it
wasn't until nearly the end of the week I realised *must* be
cigarettes/tobacco!

Cigarettes, actually. They are called that because the tobacco is wrapped
in paper, AFAIK.

I think no one yet mentioned http://www.ztm.waw.pl - the official site of
Warsaw public transport, including fare tables and regulations (also those
for luggage ;-)) in English. It also shows timetables for every stop, but
only in Polish.

.... Martin