Old August 24th 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail and the GWML

Richard J. wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

Jeffrey Asante wrote:

Hi all,

Just had a look at the Crossrail website, it has information
sheets for each station along the route.

(snipped useful info)

I had no idea all this information was available, but I don't have a
chance of downloading it all on a dial-up connection. Can anyone
tell me what useful information there is in the Information Pack
(the 6MB one)? And is there useful info in the 80-something
information sheets for the various stations?!

The Information Pack is so large because it's a glossy with lots of
photos. If you click on "information pack" in the centre column, you'll
get a list of headings, and clicking on each one will bring up the text
in HTML.

Excellent. I wish they'd put the other information in HTML too!

The station information sheets typically include sample journey times,
plans and mock-ups of station improvements such as platform extensions
and new entrances.

It's worth asking CLRL if they could let you have all the material in
hard copy, as it's clearly in their interest to ensure that your website
carries accurate info. All their stuff was available in hard copy
during last autumn's consultation. You could ask at one of the current
Information Exchange Centres (Spitalfields or Farringdon) or contact
them directly.

Good idea, I'll try to do that.

In the meantime, I'm trying desperately to work out the service pattern.
So far I have the following based on part facts and part guesswork.
Please can anyone help me sort this mess out!

2tph Heathrow - Shenfield (not calling Hanwell, W Ealing & Acton ML)
2tph Heathrow - Ebbsfleet (1tph at Hanwell, 2tph at W Ealing & Acton ML)

(We know 4tph to Heathrow but I guess they will want everyone on
Crossrail possible to have direct access to Heathrow - that is, unless
Canary Wharf get upset about only having a half-hourly service there.
The cynic in me also suggests that having only 2tph to Heathrow from
each branch means that people are more likely to catch the first train
to Paddington and change to the premium fare 4tph Heathrow Express.)

2tph Maidenhead - Abbey Wood semifast (not calling Taplow, Iver,
Hanwell, W Ealing & Acton ML)
2tph Maidenhead - Abbey Wood slow (1tph at Hanwell, not calling W Ealing
& Acton ML)

(I'm trying to balance how many passengers will want Canary Wharf
versus how many will want the CTRL at Stratford - and I'm plumping for a
large majority for CW as this is a peak service pattern. I don't think
any Maidenhead trains will go as far as Ebbsfleet as that's a long
journey and performance could be an issue. The Hanwell thing is because
it gets 2tph total but still apparently has direct trains to both
Heathrow and to "the West".)

2tph West Drayton - Ebbsfleet semifast (not calling Hanwell, W Ealing,
Acton ML)
(I think they still want direct journeys between W London and Slough
etc. so it's useless to have Maidenhead trains fast and West Drayton's slow)

10tph Paddington - Shenfield (all stations except Maryland)
4tph Paddington - Abbey Wood (all stations)

and 6tph Liverpool St - Shenfield (GE, all stations).
--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old August 24th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Website info - was Crossrail and the GWML

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Richard J. wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

Jeffrey Asante wrote:

Hi all,

Just had a look at the Crossrail website, it has information
sheets for each station along the route.

(snipped useful info)

(me too)

I had no idea all this information was available, but I don't have a
chance of downloading it all on a dial-up connection. Can anyone
tell me what useful information there is in the Information Pack
(the 6MB one)? And is there useful info in the 80-something
information sheets for the various stations?!

Excellent. I wish they'd put the other information in HTML too!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Following up on this thread I accessed the site only to discover that a
download I wanted (route) was given as a PDF file which took ages to
download and display, merely to show a line diagram which could have been
sent as a gif image file which would have displayed much more quickly. Why
are so many websites now distributing their information with cumbersome PDF
files ?
Cheerz,
Baz

Old August 24th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Marratxi wrote:

Following up on this thread I accessed the site only to discover
that a download I wanted (route) was given as a PDF file which took
ages to download and display, merely to show a line diagram which
could have been sent as a gif image file which would have displayed
much more quickly. Why are so many websites now distributing their
information with cumbersome PDF files ?

Because it produces an image that can easily be zoomed in or out to suit
individual display requirements. As a matter of interest, how old is
your computer and what is its processor speed? PDF files are fine if
you have a reasonably fast computer. However, the Crossrail site has
always been very slow, and it's a pain to download stuff from there even
with a fast PC.
--
Richard J.

Old August 24th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Marratxi" wrote the
following in:

Following up on this thread I accessed the site only to discover
that a download I wanted (route) was given as a PDF file which
took ages to download and display, merely to show a line diagram
which could have been sent as a gif image file which would have
displayed much more quickly. Why are so many websites now
distributing their information with cumbersome PDF files ?
Cheerz,
Baz

I seem to remember that the tube map as a PDF is a smaller file than
the tube map as a gif.

--
message by the incredible Robin May.
"The British don't like successful people" - said by British failures

Who is Abi Titmuss? What is she? Why is she famous?
http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Old August 24th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:

Jeffrey Asante wrote:

[...]

Probably laziness (a little) - if the program used to create the diagram
was an Adobe one (quite likely, as TfL use one (Adobe Illustrator?) for
their diagrams) then it is a matter of a couple of clicks to produce a
PDF, whereas with a GIF they need to worry about an appropriate size,
and whether their antialiasing will work at 256 colours.

I've certainly noticed a huge increase in the number of PDF documents
around, making Google's cached HTML versions invaluable for quick
searches - because even if your connection is fast, Acrobat Reader
certainly isn't!

I think it's also rare that anyone producing a PDF document is subjected
to a narrowband connection - so file size doesn't register too much.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old August 24th 04, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
"Marratxi" wrote the
following in:

Why are so many websites now distributing
their information with cumbersome PDF files ?

I seem to remember that the tube map as a PDF
is a smaller file than the tube map as a gif.

But that's a proper PDF file containing vectors. I think he's talking about
the crap PDF files that just contain a single bitmap image.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 24th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

You could ask at one of the current
Information Exchange Centres (Spitalfields
or Farringdon) or contact them directly.

I walked in the rain today to the Farringdon office, only to find it shut...
the website says it's only open on Monday and Thursday. Harrumph, they must
have added that to the website today, because I'm sure it wasn't there
yesterday.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 24th 04, 10:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jeffrey Asante wrote:
Just had a look at the Crossrail website, it has information sheets for
each station along the route. Below is a summary of most of the
information for the GWML stations:

All Peak Frequencies:

· 4tph from Acton Main Line to Central London (direct services to
Heathrow and the West).

· 10tph from Ealing Broadway to Central London.

· 4tph from West Ealing to Central London (direct services to Heathrow
and the West).

· 2tph from Hanwell to Central London (direct services to Heathrow and
the West).

Good for Acton Main Line, OK for Greenford branch, but what have they
got against Hanwell (and Elthorne)? 1 tph west of Hayes is pathetic,
and makes the service from other stations less regular.

And the frequencies quoted, IMO, are about right for between the peaks
- not just for the peaks themselves.

Colin McKenzie

--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

Old August 24th 04, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote the
following in:

"Robin May" wrote in message
"Marratxi" wrote
the following in:

Why are so many websites now distributing
their information with cumbersome PDF files ?

I seem to remember that the tube map as a PDF
is a smaller file than the tube map as a gif.

But that's a proper PDF file containing vectors. I think he's
talking about the crap PDF files that just contain a single bitmap
image.

Oh right. Those are awful, there's absolutely no point in using them.

Old August 24th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin McKenzie" wrote in message

OK for Greenford branch

When I read what they are planning, I think this Cinderella line is being
silently prepared for closure. There is no way anyone will use it, when
buses to Ealing Broadway will give much better journey times to all Central
Line and District Line destinations, and maybe even Crossrail destinations
too, bearing in mind that Ealing Bdy will have so many more Crossrail trains
than West Ealing.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped