Old August 31st 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default UB8 to CR9

Richard J. wrote:

Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:

I have to travel to Croydon next week. tfl's Journey Planner's
best suggestion has me bussing to Uxbridge, Tube to Hillingdon, then
some mysterious express bus to Victoria, thence rail to East
Croydon.
A bit over two hours.

Poking around various maps I wondered about Piccadilly from Ux to
Earl's Court, District to Wimbledon, and Tram to Croydon. No idea
yet how long that would take.

Anyone (Paul?) have a better idea?

The mysterious express bus from Hillingdon: if it says "OT", it's the
Oxford Tube (Stagecoach); if it says "X90" it's the Oxford Buses
service, now called Oxford Espress (sic). Between the two of them, it's
quite a frequent service, but you've got a longish walk from Victoria
Coach Station to the railway station.

I'm not sure it's actually possible to buy tickets on either of those
coaches between Hillingdon and London. Mind you, I've never tried.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old September 1st 04, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Hi,

Dave Arquati wrote:

The mysterious express bus from Hillingdon: if it says "OT", it's the
Oxford Tube (Stagecoach); if it says "X90" it's the Oxford Buses
service, now called Oxford Espress (sic). Between the two of them, it's
quite a frequent service, but you've got a longish walk from Victoria
Coach Station to the railway station.

I'm not sure it's actually possible to buy tickets on either of those
coaches between Hillingdon and London. Mind you, I've never tried.

Both sell tickets between Hillingdon and London (I believe they get
subsidised to do so), and both will drop you off outside the main
Victoria rail station before continuing to the coach station.

Luke
Old September 1st 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:46:35 +0100, Annabel Smyth
wrote in :
Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 27 Aug 2004:

I have to travel to Croydon next week. tfl's Journey Planner's
best suggestion has me bussing to Uxbridge, Tube to Hillingdon, then
some mysterious express bus to Victoria, thence rail to East Croydon.
A bit over two hours.

Poking around various maps I wondered about Piccadilly from Ux to
Earl's Court, District to Wimbledon, and Tram to Croydon. No idea yet how
long that would take.

Anyone (Paul?) have a better idea?

Tube to Victoria, then train?

As it happened, LBC 1152AM and the TfL site alerted me to Jubilee
line problems at Westminster, and a one-under at Victoria closing that
station. No Farringdon or Victoria trains, then. So I tried the above.

Walked out my door at straight-up 12, got a Travelcard at the Post
Office and was on a 222 bus in the High Street by 12:11. To cut a long
story short, I was at Lunar Ho at 14:35. Coming back was exactly 2 hrs
to Uxb, but I wasted 5 minutes and maybe a connection by taking the
wrong entry at Victoria due to unfamiliarity. A bit of Tesco and a U5
and I was home again 2:35 from starting.

I got the visa, BTW.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old September 1st 04, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:06:07 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

The mysterious express bus from Hillingdon: if it says "OT", it's the
Oxford Tube (Stagecoach); if it says "X90" it's the Oxford Buses
service, now called Oxford Espress (sic). Between the two of them, it's
quite a frequent service, but you've got a longish walk from Victoria
Coach Station to the railway station.

the Oxford Tube stops at Vickyu Rail/Tube, not the coach station

--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r