Old August 27th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default UB8 to CR9

I have to travel to Croydon next week. tfl's Journey Planner's
best suggestion has me bussing to Uxbridge, Tube to Hillingdon, then
some mysterious express bus to Victoria, thence rail to East Croydon.
A bit over two hours.

Poking around various maps I wondered about Piccadilly from Ux to
Earl's Court, District to Wimbledon, and Tram to Croydon. No idea yet how
long that would take.

Anyone (Paul?) have a better idea?

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Old August 27th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote in message

Tube to Hillingdon, then
some mysterious express bus to Victoria, thence rail to East Croydon.

Oxford Tube?

Jeff.

Old August 27th 04, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" typed

I have to travel to Croydon next week. tfl's Journey Planner's
best suggestion has me bussing to Uxbridge, Tube to Hillingdon, then
some mysterious express bus to Victoria, thence rail to East Croydon.
A bit over two hours.

Poking around various maps I wondered about Piccadilly from Ux to
Earl's Court, District to Wimbledon, and Tram to Croydon. No idea yet how
long that would take.

Anyone (Paul?) have a better idea?

Met Line to Kings Cross, Thameslink to Croydon? Don't know if CTRL
building has stopped that.

Met Line to Kings Cross, Northern Line to London Bridge, Southern
Railway to Croydon?

I don't think you'd get any advantage taking a train from West Drayton
or Hayes & Harlington to Paddington...

Those mysterious buses from Hillingdon (Oxford Tube + another) station
seem to come every 10 minutes though. You could take the (horribly
infrequent) U2 to get there from near to where you live, without putting
a 1 stop Met line leg into your journey.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 27th 04, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:
I have to travel to Croydon next week. tfl's Journey Planner's
best suggestion has me bussing to Uxbridge, Tube to Hillingdon, then
some mysterious express bus to Victoria, thence rail to East
Croydon.
A bit over two hours.

Poking around various maps I wondered about Piccadilly from Ux to
Earl's Court, District to Wimbledon, and Tram to Croydon. No idea
yet how long that would take.

Anyone (Paul?) have a better idea?

The mysterious express bus from Hillingdon: if it says "OT", it's the
Oxford Tube (Stagecoach); if it says "X90" it's the Oxford Buses
service, now called Oxford Espress (sic). Between the two of them, it's
quite a frequent service, but you've got a longish walk from Victoria
Coach Station to the railway station.

You haven't given the full postcodes, but I assume it's basically
Uxbridge to East Croydon. Putting that into the Journey Planner and
changing the walking speed to Fast (the default "Average" speed is quite
slow) gives a selection of routes of about 1:20 to 1:30 journey time:

Met to Baker Street, Bakerloo to Oxford Circus, Victoria line to
Victoria, Southern to East Croydon

Met to Baker Street, Jubilee to London Bridge, Southern to East Croydon

Met to Hillingdon, express bus to Victoria, Southern to East Croydon

There's also (though the JP needed to be prompted to think about it):
Met to Farringdon, Thameslink to East Croydon

--
Richard J.

Old August 28th 04, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote in message

Anyone (Paul?) have a better idea?

I don't know if it's better, but there are direct trains from Harrow &
Wealdstone, Wembley Central and West Brompton to East Croydon.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 28th 04, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:06:07 GMT, Richard J.
wrote in :
Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:
I have to travel to Croydon next week. tfl's Journey Planner's
best suggestion has me bussing to Uxbridge, Tube to Hillingdon, then
some mysterious express bus to Victoria, thence rail to East
Croydon.
A bit over two hours.

Poking around various maps I wondered about Piccadilly from Ux to
Earl's Court, District to Wimbledon, and Tram to Croydon. No idea
yet how long that would take.

Anyone (Paul?) have a better idea?

The mysterious express bus from Hillingdon: if it says "OT", it's the
Oxford Tube (Stagecoach); if it says "X90" it's the Oxford Buses
service, now called Oxford Espress (sic). Between the two of them, it's
quite a frequent service, but you've got a longish walk from Victoria
Coach Station to the railway station.

Ah, OK, thanks, it was OT.

You haven't given the full postcodes, but I assume it's basically
Uxbridge to East Croydon. Putting that into the Journey Planner and
changing the walking speed to Fast (the default "Average" speed is quite
slow) gives a selection of routes of about 1:20 to 1:30 journey time:

Cowley, actually. I live near the Church so I have Us 1, 3, &5
to Uxbridge and 3 & 5 to W. Drayton, tho' it's not much longer to walk
to WD.

Met to Baker Street, Bakerloo to Oxford Circus, Victoria line to
Victoria, Southern to East Croydon

Met to Baker Street, Jubilee to London Bridge, Southern to East Croydon

Met to Hillingdon, express bus to Victoria, Southern to East Croydon

There's also (though the JP needed to be prompted to think about it):
Met to Farringdon, Thameslink to East Croydon

Ah, I was wondering if Thameslink went through there, all I'd
seen suggested trains from Victoria.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. If I get there on time I'll
no longer need a Work Permit next Weds night.

Old August 28th 04, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:32:09 +0000 (UTC), "Dr Ivan D. Reid"
wrote:

I have to travel to Croydon next week. tfl's Journey Planner's
best suggestion has me bussing to Uxbridge, Tube to Hillingdon, then
some mysterious express bus to Victoria, thence rail to East Croydon.
A bit over two hours.

Poking around various maps I wondered about Piccadilly from Ux to
Earl's Court, District to Wimbledon, and Tram to Croydon. No idea yet how
long that would take.

About 100 minutes including interchanges but excluding time to get to
Uxbridge from your place. If you have an Oyster card and decide to use
the Pre-Pay extension part of the card then be very careful to validate
properly at Wimbledon station!

Anyone (Paul?) have a better idea?

There are several options but they'll take a long time!

1. Met to Farringdon then Thameslink.
2. Picc to South Ken, District to Vic, Train to East Croydon
3. Met to Harrow, buses 140,182, 186, 258 or 340 to Harrow and
Wealdstone then direct train to East Croydon (depends on time of day for
latter train link)
4. Bus A10 or U3 to Heathrow Central then Bus 726 to East Croydon.
Be warned the 726 is only hourly and can get bogged down in traffic.
5. Picc to Earls Ct, District to West Brompton, direct train to
East Croydon (again watch the time of day / frequency for the train)

www.nationalrail.co.uk will help with the National Rail journey
planning.

HTH
--
Paul C

Old August 28th 04, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Poking around various maps I wondered about Piccadilly from Ux to
Earl's Court, District to Wimbledon, and Tram to Croydon. No idea yet how
long that would take.

About 100 minutes including interchanges but excluding time to get to
Uxbridge from your place. If you have an Oyster card and decide to use
the Pre-Pay extension part of the card then be very careful to validate
properly at Wimbledon station!

I've not got Oyster yet, must consider it soon.

Anyone (Paul?) have a better idea?

[snip advice]

HTH

It does, thanks Paul.

Old August 28th 04, 11:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:

I have to travel to Croydon next week. tfl's Journey Planner's
best suggestion has me bussing to Uxbridge, Tube to Hillingdon, then
some mysterious express bus to Victoria, thence rail to East Croydon.
A bit over two hours.

Poking around various maps I wondered about Piccadilly from Ux to
Earl's Court, District to Wimbledon, and Tram to Croydon. No idea yet how
long that would take.

Anyone (Paul?) have a better idea?

"CR9" isn't a physical location - it's the postcode for businesses in
Croydon with large volumes of mail. Many of them are within walking
distance of East Croydon station so, if your destination is in that
area, I would go Uxbridge (Metropolitan) to Baker Street, then Jubilee
to London Bridge, then South Central or Thameslink to East Croydon.
About 90 mins.

--
John Ray, London UK.
Old August 28th 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

2. Picc to South Ken, District to Vic, Train to East Croydon

Baron's Court or Hammersmith are FAR easier interchanges than South Ken.