London Banter

-   -   Anyone know about Sat Nav - Tom Tom, etc ? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2109-anyone-know-about-sat-nav.html)

John Rowland September 1st 04 08:50 AM

Anyone know about Sat Nav - Tom Tom, etc ?

"John F Kappler" wrote in message

There is also a shop south of Heathrow (3M?)
where you can see the various systems.....

More details would be appreciated!

(Are you saying it's run by 3M, or that it's 3 miles south of Heathrow?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Pete Boyd September 1st 04 01:23 PM

Anyone know about Sat Nav - Tom Tom, etc ?

Try
http://www.gpsw.co.uk (near Heathrow)
http://www.aspidshop.com/export/store/
http://www.leadmedia.co.uk/navweb/

and newsgroup

:-)
Pete

"John F Kappler" wrote in message
You could also look in:

alt.satellite.gps

Where there is considerable discussion.

The only thing that puts me off TomTom Go is the touch screen. There
are also places where you can get the Software with a PDA for less
than TTG's current prices.

There is also a shop south of Heathrow (3M?) where you can see the
various systems.....

JohnK

John F Kappler September 1st 04 01:30 PM

Anyone know about Sat Nav - Tom Tom, etc ?

I thikn Peter Boyd has answered re the shop, but the 3M should have
been 5m! From their website:

We are located 5 miles South of London Heathrow airport, 1 mile East
of junction 1 of the M3 motorway. We have ample parking facilities and
good bus routes from the nearest mainline railway station.

Sorry!

JohnK

Reg Mouatt September 1st 04 07:29 PM

Anyone know about Sat Nav - Tom Tom, etc ?

(John F Kappler) wrote in message ...
You could also look in:

alt.satellite.gps

Where there is considerable discussion.

The only thing that puts me off TomTom Go is the touch screen. There
are also places where you can get the Software with a PDA for less
than TTG's current prices.

There is also a shop south of Heathrow (3M?) where you can see the
various systems.....

JohnK

It's possible to make use of something suitable, such as a matchstick
and use it as a stylus. Not having seen the PDA versions, I do not
know how to set up a route but I would think a touch screen is about
as quick as any. If anything TTG could do with an anti-glare screen,
it's pretty OK most of the time but direct sunlight does give
problems, although for the most part the voice directions, I find, are
first class, very clear and in plenty of time and it is this facility
that is the main guide to driving the route. A time when it is
sometimes necessary to see the screen is checking the route through
and where to exit a large roundabout.
Reg