London Banter

-   -   Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2129-unenforceable-banned-right-turn-highgate.html)

John Rowland September 4th 04 10:27 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

Hi all,.

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are no-entry
signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From East". In effect they
are saying that you can do a left-turn into South Grove but you can't do a
right-turn into it. There are none of the normal right-turn-banned signs at
all. Since drivers are not legally required to carry a compass or know the
direction in which they are travelling at a particular moment, I don't see
how anyone could be successfully prosecuted for doing a right turn here. I
also don't see why they didn't just mount a right-turn-banned sign.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Brimstone September 5th 04 07:14 AM

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Hi all,.

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are no-entry
signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From East". In effect

they
are saying that you can do a left-turn into South Grove but you can't do a
right-turn into it. There are none of the normal right-turn-banned signs

at
all. Since drivers are not legally required to carry a compass or know the
direction in which they are travelling at a particular moment, I don't see
how anyone could be successfully prosecuted for doing a right turn here. I
also don't see why they didn't just mount a right-turn-banned sign.

Agreed that it would be easier for all concerned if TPTB erected appropriate
signs but why does everything have to gave a law requiring people to behave
in a certain fashion or possess a specific item of knowledge? Are you
seriously suggesting that most people don't know which compass direction a
road lies along?

John Rowland September 5th 04 07:53 AM

"Brimstone" wrote in message
"John Rowland" wrote in message

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate,
North London, are no-entry signs with text
beneath reading "No Entry Except From East".

I don't see how anyone could be successfully
prosecuted for doing a right turn here.

Agreed that it would be easier for all concerned if TPTB
erected appropriate signs but why does everything have
to gave a law requiring people to behave in a certain
fashion or possess a specific item of knowledge?

Huh?

Are you seriously suggesting that most people don't
know which compass direction a road lies along?

Yes! Even if you did know, you could easily deny it. Many cars do the right
turn here.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

JNugent September 5th 04 08:19 AM

John Rowland wrote:

"Brimstone" wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote:

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate,
North London, are no-entry signs with text
beneath reading "No Entry Except From East".
I don't see how anyone could be successfully
prosecuted for doing a right turn here.

Agreed that it would be easier for all concerned if TPTB
erected appropriate signs but why does everything have
to gave a law requiring people to behave in a certain
fashion or possess a specific item of knowledge?

Huh?

I think he is asking why - even without a formal and appropriately-signed
ban - drivers cannot enter into the spirit of the "request" and refrain from
making the maneouvre the authorities clearly frown on.

Are you seriously suggesting that most people don't
know which compass direction a road lies along?

Yes! Even if you did know, you could easily deny it. Many cars do the
right turn here.

Over thirty years ago, there used to be similar signs in Camden Town,
"banning" traffic heading north along the A400 towards Kentish Town from
turning right into several side-streets. They may still be there.

---

Brimstone September 5th 04 09:00 AM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

John Rowland wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate,
North London, are no-entry signs with text
beneath reading "No Entry Except From East".

I don't see how anyone could be successfully
prosecuted for doing a right turn here.

Agreed that it would be easier for all concerned if TPTB
erected appropriate signs but why does everything have
to gave a law requiring people to behave in a certain
fashion or possess a specific item of knowledge?

Huh?

Your comment, "Since drivers are not legally required to carry a compass or
know the
direction in which they are travelling at a particular moment", refers.

Joanne September 5th 04 10:01 AM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

In article , John Rowland says...

Hi all,.

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are no-entry
signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From East". In effect they
are saying that you can do a left-turn into South Grove but you can't do a
right-turn into it.

Is there such a sign in the highway code? IIRC the rules are slightly more
complex and the HC is not the definitive guide, and "temporary" signs are
allowed for a testing period.

Having said that it is taking the **** to expect people to follow a sign that's
not in the HC..

Bill September 5th 04 10:49 AM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

In message , Brimstone
writes
Are you
seriously suggesting that most people don't know which compass direction a
road lies along?

I would agree with that, I have a GPS in the car and having driven
around a strange town it is often quite surprising to find the direction
I'm heading is nothing like the one I thought I was. With roundabouts
and subtle bends in the road it is well high impossible to keep track of
compass directions.

--
Bill

Richard J. September 5th 04 10:51 AM

Joanne wrote:
In article , John Rowland
says...

Hi all,.

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are
no-entry signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From
East". In effect they are saying that you can do a left-turn
into South Grove but you can't do a right-turn into it.

Is there such a sign in the highway code? IIRC the rules are
slightly more complex and the HC is not the definitive guide,
and "temporary" signs are allowed for a testing period.

Having said that it is taking the **** to expect people to
follow a sign that's not in the HC..

The Highway Code does show the no-entry sign, and has a general comment
"plates below signs qualify their message". Anyway, the HC shows "many
of the signs commonly in use", but not all of them.

In my experience, no-entry signs like these are generally angled towards
the prohibited direction, and from a distance are rather more
immediately obvious in their intent than no-right-turn signs. This is
because people see the no-entry sign before they are close enough to
read the words.
--
Richard J.

Brimstone September 5th 04 11:41 AM

Joanne wrote:
In article , John Rowland
says...

Hi all,.

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are
no-entry
signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From East". In
effect they are saying that you can do a left-turn into South Grove
but you can't do a right-turn into it.

Is there such a sign in the highway code? IIRC the rules are slightly
more complex and the HC is not the definitive guide, and "temporary"
signs are allowed for a testing period.

Having said that it is taking the **** to expect people to follow a
sign that's not in the HC..

Why? As long as ots meaning and intention are plain why can't people be
expected to comply?

This is yet another example of the attitude that leads to the kind of petty
rules that so many people complain about.

Grebbsy McLaren September 5th 04 11:43 AM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

It was a dark and stormy night when JNugent
e.co.uk wrote in article ...
ver thirty years ago, there used to be similar signs in Camden Town,
"banning" traffic heading north along the A400 towards Kentish Town from
turning right into several side-streets. They may still be there.

They are certainly still there along Camden Road towards Nag's Head.

Grebbsy
--
"All vampires suck, but not all who suck are vampires."
(--B.J.Kuehl)

:::Grebbsy :::::::lemon curry?:::

JNugent September 5th 04 11:54 AM

Brimstone wrote:

Joanne wrote:
John Rowland says...

Hi all,.
At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are
no-entry signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From
East". In effect they are saying that you can do a left-turn into
South Grove but you can't do a right-turn into it.

Is there such a sign in the highway code? IIRC the rules are slightly
more complex and the HC is not the definitive guide, and "temporary"
signs are allowed for a testing period.
Having said that it is taking the **** to expect people to follow a
sign that's not in the HC..

Why? As long as ots meaning and intention are plain why can't people
be expected to comply?

If the sign said "Post a cheque for £10 to [insert name of your hate
figure]", would you still expect people to "comply"?

If not, why not?

This is yet another example of the attitude that leads to the kind of
petty rules that so many people complain about.

Let's get this straight...

You say that people should obey petty rules without compulsion, and that if
they don't, the authorities are justified in setting the petty rules in law?

---

Joanne September 5th 04 12:54 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

In article , Brimstone says...

Joanne wrote:
In article , John Rowland
says...

Hi all,.

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are
no-entry
signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From East". In
effect they are saying that you can do a left-turn into South Grove
but you can't do a right-turn into it.

Is there such a sign in the highway code? IIRC the rules are slightly
more complex and the HC is not the definitive guide, and "temporary"
signs are allowed for a testing period.

Having said that it is taking the **** to expect people to follow a
sign that's not in the HC..

Why? As long as ots meaning and intention are plain why can't people be
expected to comply?

2 points

(1) What's the point if having a HC if local authorities can go round sticking
up any old sign? In general signs such be graphic and follow international
rules. It can be difficult to read qualifying text under a sign (we do have to
look out for other road users too) and also what about foreign drivers?

(2) I would assume fact a sign has some sort of legal status gives it protection
against being copied. In the extreme you'd never know if a sign was put up by
appropriate authorties or if any tom, dick or harry had stuck it there.

Colin McKenzie September 5th 04 01:08 PM

Richard J. wrote:

Joanne wrote:
Having said that it is taking the **** to expect people to
follow a sign that's not in the HC..

The Highway Code does show the no-entry sign, and has a general comment
"plates below signs qualify their message". Anyway, the HC shows "many
of the signs commonly in use", but not all of them.

And if you look at the manual used by people who put up the signs, you
find the only exception allowed with 'no entry' is buses. A much wider
range is allowed with 'no right (or left) turn'.

I looked at a road yesterday with a view to exempting cyclists from a
banned turn. Only one car came along while I was there - and it
disobeyed the ban.

Colin McKenzie

--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

David Hansen September 5th 04 01:52 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 14:08:31 +0100 someone who may be Colin McKenzie
wrote this:-

The Highway Code does show the no-entry sign, and has a general comment
"plates below signs qualify their message". Anyway, the HC shows "many
of the signs commonly in use", but not all of them.

And if you look at the manual used by people who put up the signs, you
find the only exception allowed with 'no entry' is buses.

There are plenty of no-entry signs in Edinburgh, with plates below
them saying things like "Except for buses, cycles and taxis". A few
years ago there was mention in the paper of someone claiming these
signs were invalid. However, I have not heard more and imagine that
is because the someone has discovered their assertion is incorrect.
If their assertion had been shown to be correct you may be sure that
the paper would have made a fuss about it.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Joanne September 5th 04 01:52 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

..

I looked at a road yesterday with a view to exempting cyclists from a
banned turn.

Isn't that rather pointless as they'd do it whether or not is banned?

Nick Finnigan September 5th 04 01:58 PM

"Colin McKenzie" wrote in message
Richard J. wrote:

Joanne wrote:
Having said that it is taking the **** to expect people to
follow a sign that's not in the HC..

The Highway Code does show the no-entry sign, and has a general comment
"plates below signs qualify their message". Anyway, the HC shows "many
of the signs commonly in use", but not all of them.

And if you look at the manual used by people who put up the signs, you
find the only exception allowed with 'no entry' is buses. A much wider
range is allowed with 'no right (or left) turn'.

I looked at a road yesterday with a view to exempting cyclists from a
banned turn. Only one car came along while I was there - and it
disobeyed the ban.

The regulations say a 'except cycles' is a permitted variant
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113ab.gif

Nick Finnigan September 5th 04 02:01 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

"John Rowland" wrote in message

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are no-entry
signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From East". In effect they
are saying that you can do a left-turn into South Grove but you can't do a
right-turn into it. There are none of the normal right-turn-banned signs at
all. Since drivers are not legally required to carry a compass or know the
direction in which they are travelling at a particular moment, I don't see
how anyone could be successfully prosecuted for doing a right turn here. I
also don't see why they didn't just mount a right-turn-banned sign.

'No right turn' is not a strict offence, whereas 'no entry' is.
However, it would be interesting to see what the traffic
order says

Nick Finnigan September 5th 04 02:07 PM

wrote this:-

The Highway Code does show the no-entry sign, and has a general comment
"plates below signs qualify their message". Anyway, the HC shows "many
of the signs commonly in use", but not all of them.

And if you look at the manual used by people who put up the signs, you
find the only exception allowed with 'no entry' is buses.

There are plenty of no-entry signs in Edinburgh, with plates below
them saying things like "Except for buses, cycles and taxis". A few
years ago there was mention in the paper of someone claiming these
signs were invalid. However, I have not heard more and imagine that
is because the someone has discovered their assertion is incorrect.
If their assertion had been shown to be correct you may be sure that
the paper would have made a fuss about it.

How few years ago? They get a special mention in
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm#sch19pII2
21 (Plates to be placed only...)
(2) A plate shown...

Diagram 616 is 'No Entry'; 954.6 and 954.7 are
'Except buses and cycles' & 'Except buses cycles and taxis'.

Annabel Smyth September 5th 04 02:28 PM

Brimstone wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 5 Sep 2004:

Are you
seriously suggesting that most people don't know which compass direction a
road lies along?

Dammit, I don't usually know whether I'm turning left or right!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

David Hansen September 5th 04 02:50 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

On 5 Sep 2004 06:52:40 -0700 someone who may be Joanne
wrote this:-

I looked at a road yesterday with a view to exempting cyclists from a
banned turn.

Isn't that rather pointless as they'd do it whether or not is banned?

Nice try, but rather boring.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

David Hansen September 5th 04 02:55 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 15:07:29 +0100 someone who may be "Nick Finnigan"
wrote this:-

And if you look at the manual used by people who put up the signs, you
find the only exception allowed with 'no entry' is buses.

There are plenty of no-entry signs in Edinburgh, with plates below
them saying things like "Except for buses, cycles and taxis".

How few years ago?

Certainly no earlier than 2000. No idea which side of 2002 it was
though.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Brimstone September 5th 04 02:56 PM

"JNugent" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:

Joanne wrote:
[...]

It's refreshing to see that your ability to twist things is a strong as
ever. That is not what I'm saying as you well know.

Colin McKenzie September 5th 04 06:41 PM

Nick Finnigan wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message
There are plenty of no-entry signs in Edinburgh, with plates below
them saying things like "Except for buses, cycles and taxis". A few
years ago there was mention in the paper of someone claiming these
signs were invalid. However, I have not heard more and imagine that
is because the someone has discovered their assertion is incorrect.
If their assertion had been shown to be correct you may be sure that
the paper would have made a fuss about it.

How few years ago? They get a special mention in
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm#sch19pII2
21 (Plates to be placed only...)
(2) A plate shown...

Diagram 616 is 'No Entry'; 954.6 and 954.7 are
'Except buses and cycles' & 'Except buses cycles and taxis'.

And, from that document, signs allowed with it are 954, 954.2, 1046,
and 1048.3.
Respectively 'except buses', 'except local buses', 'no entry', and
'bus only'. (The last two are painted on the road).

Colin McKenzie

Richard J. September 5th 04 10:11 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

Nick Finnigan wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are
no-entry signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From
East". In effect they are saying that you can do a left-turn into
South Grove but you can't do a right-turn into it. There are none
of the normal right-turn-banned signs at all. Since drivers are
not legally required to carry a compass or know the direction in
which they are travelling at a particular moment, I don't see how
anyone could be successfully prosecuted for doing a right turn
here. I also don't see why they didn't just mount a
right-turn-banned sign.

'No right turn' is not a strict offence, whereas 'no entry' is.
However, it would be interesting to see what the traffic
order says

Eh? You're saying that disobeying a mandatory "no-right-turn" sign is
not an offence? Please explain; I'm not sure what you mean by a
"strict" offence.
--
Richard J.

John Rowland September 6th 04 12:00 AM

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message

'No right turn' is not a strict offence, whereas 'no entry' is.

That's ironic, because virtually everyone who performs a banned right turn
is committing a deliberate crime, whereas virtually everyone who goes
through a No Entry sign (except at this junction) does so by mistake.

But anyway, perhaps you have found the key to the issue. Highgate is packed
full of Guardian readers, and Guardian readers believe it's okay to do what
the hell they like so long as they feel guilty afterwards, so maybe an
earlier banned-right-turn sign was being ignored so much by the locals that
TPTB decided to up the ante to a more serious offence.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Nick Finnigan September 6th 04 07:58 AM

"Richard J." wrote in message
Nick Finnigan wrote:

'No right turn' is not a strict offence, whereas 'no entry' is.

Eh? You're saying that disobeying a mandatory "no-right-turn" sign is
not an offence? Please explain; I'm not sure what you mean by a
"strict" offence.

"No Entry" is simply defined, and crossing the line
allows a prosecution for failure to obey a road sign
(unless there is an invalid exception plate).

"Right turn" is vague, as is the area where it is prohibited,
so the prosecution would have to prove driving/cycling
without due care and attention. If a cyclist dismounted,
turned the bike through 90 degrees and cycled ahead,
is an offence committed?

Tom Anderson September 6th 04 11:50 AM

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message

'No right turn' is not a strict offence, whereas 'no entry' is.

That's ironic, because virtually everyone who performs a banned right turn
is committing a deliberate crime, whereas virtually everyone who goes
through a No Entry sign (except at this junction) does so by mistake.

But anyway, perhaps you have found the key to the issue. Highgate is
packed full of Guardian readers, and Guardian readers believe it's okay
to do what the hell they like so long as they feel guilty afterwards, so
maybe an earlier banned-right-turn sign was being ignored so much by the
locals that TPTB decided to up the ante to a more serious offence.

Is it your time of the month or something, John?

tom

--
GOLDIE LOOKIN' CHAIN [...] will ultimately make all other forms of music both redundant and unnecessary -- ntk

Annabel Smyth September 6th 04 12:29 PM

John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 6 Sep 2004:

That's ironic, because virtually everyone who performs a banned right turn
is committing a deliberate crime, whereas virtually everyone who goes
through a No Entry sign (except at this junction) does so by mistake.

Not here they don't - there is a very silly little bit of one-way street
outside my block of flats that serves no conceivable purpose except to
make life difficult. And it is widely ignored, or else people simply
reverse down it - it's only about 25 yards long.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

John Rowland September 6th 04 01:00 PM

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, John Rowland wrote:
"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message

'No right turn' is not a strict offence, whereas 'no entry' is.

That's ironic, because virtually everyone who performs
a banned right turn is committing a deliberate crime,
whereas virtually everyone who goes through a
No Entry sign (except at this junction) does so by mistake.

But anyway, perhaps you have found the key to the issue.
Highgate is packed full of Guardian readers, and Guardian
readers believe it's okay to do what the hell they like so long
as they feel guilty afterwards, so maybe an earlier
banned-right-turn sign was being ignored so much by the
locals that TPTB decided to up the ante to a more serious offence.

Is it your time of the month or something, John?

It's always my time of the month.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Roland Perry September 6th 04 01:53 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

In message , at 14:52:15 on
Sun, 5 Sep 2004, David Hansen
remarked:
There are plenty of no-entry signs in Edinburgh, with plates below
them saying things like "Except for buses, cycles and taxis".

A few years ago there was mention in the paper of someone claiming
these signs were invalid. However, I have not heard more and imagine
that is because the someone has discovered their assertion is
incorrect.

There have been long-running debates in Cambridge over signs that might
say "No Entry - except for cycles", which some people think would work
well in the local context of a few roads. The Cambridge City Council
continues to insist that such signs are illegal (presumably advised by
the Cambridgeshire County Council), even though they are to be found in
Peterborough (which is a Unitary Authority). The stand-off continues,
but few Peterborough traffic planners seem to end up in jail.

Roland Perry September 6th 04 02:01 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

In message , at 15:07:29 on Sun, 5 Sep
2004, Nick Finnigan remarked:
How few years ago? They get a special mention in
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm#sch19pII2
21 (Plates to be placed only...)
(2) A plate shown...

Diagram 616 is 'No Entry'; 954.6 and 954.7 are
'Except buses and cycles' & 'Except buses cycles and taxis'.

Interestingly the rule [#69 in the table] for 954.4 "Except Cycles"
doesn't include sign 616 "No Entry".

Roland Perry September 6th 04 02:04 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

In message , at 14:58:51 on Sun, 5 Sep
2004, Nick Finnigan remarked:
The regulations say a 'except cycles' is a permitted variant
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113ab.gif

But nothing on that page says "except cycles".

Mike Cawood, HND BIT September 6th 04 02:28 PM

[...]

I believe that all new road signs must be EU approved and one bearing
the legend "No Entry Except From East" would not be EU approved, so the
sign is in fact illegal and has no compulsion.
Regards Mike.

---

Nick Finnigan September 6th 04 02:31 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
In message , at 14:58:51 on Sun, 5 Sep
2004, Nick Finnigan remarked:
The regulations say a 'except cycles' is a permitted variant
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113ab.gif

But nothing on that page says "except cycles".

The table under 954.4 has item 4 with a permitted variant.

However, I now realize these round plates are mainly used on
traffic lights with banned turns, and 'No Entries', which usually
have rectangular plates underneath, might not be covered there.

Nick Finnigan September 6th 04 02:36 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...

well in the local context of a few roads. The Cambridge City Council
continues to insist that such signs are illegal (presumably advised by
the Cambridgeshire County Council), even though they are to be found in
Peterborough (which is a Unitary Authority). The stand-off continues,
but few Peterborough traffic planners seem to end up in jail.

'Contrary to the Regulations (or Directions)' does not mean that
an offence is commited AFAIK. More likely is that the restriction
is not be enforceable, but only off-duty PCs are likely to spot
the problem, know that the sign was erected after 2002, and
bother to defend themselves in a courtroom.

Roland Perry September 6th 04 03:20 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

In message , at 15:36:49 on Mon, 6 Sep
2004, Nick Finnigan remarked:
well in the local context of a few roads. The Cambridge City Council
continues to insist that such signs are illegal (presumably advised by
the Cambridgeshire County Council), even though they are to be found in
Peterborough (which is a Unitary Authority). The stand-off continues,
but few Peterborough traffic planners seem to end up in jail.

'Contrary to the Regulations (or Directions)' does not mean that
an offence is commited AFAIK. More likely is that the restriction
is not be enforceable, but only off-duty PCs are likely to spot
the problem, know that the sign was erected after 2002, and
bother to defend themselves in a courtroom.

A good question is: who would prosecute a cyclist for passing a sign
that said "No Entry - Except Cyclists" (in this instance it allows
access to a contra-flow solid-line cycle lane on an otherwise one-way
street). But the Cambridge city fathers seem convinced that someone
would get cross with them if they put up a sign which wasn't in the
book.

Roland Perry September 6th 04 03:28 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

In message , at 15:31:02 on Mon, 6 Sep
2004, Nick Finnigan remarked:
The regulations say a 'except cycles' is a permitted variant
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113ab.gif

But nothing on that page says "except cycles".

The table under 954.4 has item 4 with a permitted variant.

However, I now realize these round plates are mainly used on
traffic lights with banned turns, and 'No Entries', which usually
have rectangular plates underneath, might not be covered there.

Look at Item 3 of 954.4, and you'll see that it doesn't list 616 (which
is the "No Entry" sign).

Interstingly, 954.7 lists as variants:

Except local buses and cycles and
Except local buses and taxis

Now, as there is no such thing as a "local cycle", we must conclude that
the latter refers to all taxis, and not just local ones. Which answers a
different question that's been asked from time to time.

John Rowland September 6th 04 04:11 PM

"Mike Cawood, HND BIT" wrote in message

I believe that all new road signs must be EU approved
and one bearing the legend "No Entry Except From East"
would not be EU approved, so the
sign is in fact illegal and has no compulsion.

The text sign may be void, but does that mean that the No Entry roundel
above it on the same pole is also void?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Colin McKenzie September 6th 04 06:20 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:31:02 on Mon, 6 Sep
2004, Nick Finnigan remarked:

Look at Item 3 of 954.4, and you'll see that it doesn't list 616 (which
is the "No Entry" sign).
Interstingly, 954.7 lists as variants:
Except local buses and cycles and
Except local buses and taxis

Now, as there is no such thing as a "local cycle", we must conclude that
the latter refers to all taxis, and not just local ones. Which answers a
different question that's been asked from time to time.

Er, Hello? Did the following message propagate at all?

Nick Finnigan wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message
There are plenty of no-entry signs in Edinburgh, with plates below
them saying things like "Except for buses, cycles and taxis". A few
years ago there was mention in the paper of someone claiming these
signs were invalid. However, I have not heard more and imagine that
is because the someone has discovered their assertion is incorrect.
If their assertion had been shown to be correct you may be sure
that the paper would have made a fuss about it.

How few years ago? They get a special mention in
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm#sch19pII2
21 (Plates to be placed only...)
(2) A plate shown...

Diagram 616 is 'No Entry'; 954.6 and 954.7 are
'Except buses and cycles' & 'Except buses cycles and taxis'.

Especially my bit, which starts at the page for diag. 616:

Nick Finnigan September 6th 04 06:21 PM

Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...

A good question is: who would prosecute a cyclist for passing a sign
that said "No Entry - Except Cyclists" (in this instance it allows
access to a contra-flow solid-line cycle lane on an otherwise one-way
street).

Downing Street? I thought someone posted a while ago that
the "No Entry" signs were each side of the main 'one-way'
lane, and so the contraflow cycle lane is not "No Entry".
I think that is legitimate signing, and any vehicle which fits
in the contra-flow lane may travel the 'wrong' way.