London Banter

-   -   bendy-buses Front-door entry for Oystercard (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2150-bendy-buses-front-door-entry.html)

K September 9th 04 12:12 PM

bendy-buses Front-door entry for Oystercard

I used my first bendy-bus in London a couple of weeks ago, from Bank
to Oxford Circus.

They had notices on the doors saying that Oystercard users (i can't
remember whether it just said prepay) had to board via the front door
only? Why is this? There were vaildators just inside all of the
doors.

Kevin

Nestor Badudoy September 9th 04 04:19 PM

bendy-buses Front-door entry for Oystercard

I've seen those, mainly on the 25, but they aren't functioning as of
yesterday. They all tell you to use another validator.

Nes.
--
Please remove the spam-deflecting X's to reply directly to me - or simply
reply to the group!

K September 9th 04 04:54 PM

bendy-buses Front-door entry for Oystercard

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:19:14 +0000 (UTC), "Nestor Badudoy"
wrote:

I've seen those, mainly on the 25, but they aren't functioning as of
yesterday. They all tell you to use another validator.

Oh, I see. So why did they introduce bendy buses without validators
on all doors?

Adrian September 9th 04 06:25 PM

bendy-buses Front-door entry for Oystercard

k ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I've seen those, mainly on the 25, but they aren't functioning as of
yesterday. They all tell you to use another validator.

Oh, I see. So why did they introduce bendy buses without validators
on all doors?

Why did they introduce Bendy buses at all?

Neil Williams September 9th 04 08:18 PM

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:54:06 +0100, k wrote:

Oh, I see. So why did they introduce bendy buses without validators
on all doors?

They introduced bendy buses quite a time before Oyster Pre-pay, and
possibly before Oyster of any kind, so the equipment probably wasn't
ready.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain

K September 10th 04 03:49 PM

bendy-buses Front-door entry for Oystercard

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:18:41 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

They introduced bendy buses quite a time before Oyster Pre-pay, and
possibly before Oyster of any kind, so the equipment probably wasn't
ready.

The equipment wasn't ready? You're joking, I presume?

Oyster has been planned for many, many years. IIRC it was due to be
introduced last century. So any planned changes should have taken
that into account for a long time.

JamJar September 19th 04 04:09 PM

Adrian wrote:
Why did they introduce Bendy buses at all?

You know, I've no idea. As a cycle messenger, with the majority of cycle
fatalities in London being caused by articulated vehicles, I've
absolutely no idea. Do they even provide more capacity than a double
decker? What are the purported advantages. Every time I see the 25 do
the S bend from Stratford Broadway onto the Romford Road I imagine a
cyclist just being sucked under the back wheels.

Terry Harper September 19th 04 06:51 PM

"JamJar" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:
Why did they introduce Bendy buses at all?

You know, I've no idea. As a cycle messenger, with the majority of cycle
fatalities in London being caused by articulated vehicles, I've
absolutely no idea. Do they even provide more capacity than a double
decker? What are the purported advantages. Every time I see the 25 do
the S bend from Stratford Broadway onto the Romford Road I imagine a
cyclist just being sucked under the back wheels.

You should have seen the havoc wreaked in Nanjing, when an articulated bus
turning a corner caught the bollards separating the cyclists from the other
motorised traffic. The bollards and attached rail fell over into the cycle
lane, which was nose-to-tail cyclists about 4-abreast. I've never seen such
a tangled mess of bodies and bikes. It's not unique to London.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm