London Banter

-   -   Route 73 - New service levels (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2155-route-73-new-service-levels.html)

Colin Rosenstiel September 15th 04 08:41 PM

Route 73 - New service levels

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

We were 16 minutes late by this point and the
bus was curtailed at Marble Arch in consequence.

Yes, I've noticed Marble Arch as a destination on 73s only since the
retirement of the Routemasters.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel September 15th 04 08:41 PM

Route 73 - New service levels

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

I had a similar experience with a bendy - firstly we really struggled to
get across the lanes of traffic having stopped at the stop just before
the bus gate. Then there was a van parked in the right hand bus lane but
the bendybus driver opted to stay in the middle lane to give himself
enough space to swing right into New Oxford St. They're not going to be
able to do that on a permanent basis given how bad the traffic can get
at that junction - buses will end up being delayed all the time or else
there'll be an accident as a result of someone getting impatient.

I wonder what effect on that junction the present resurfacing works in
Shaftesbury Avenue are having? I don't remember it being that bad.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel September 15th 04 08:41 PM

Route 73 - New service levels

In article ,
(Dr. Sunil) wrote:

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote in message

Precisely. They're building a bus gate in Gower Street.

Is that something on the lines of the rising bollard type in Cambridge?

No. There are some in Cambridge on Newmarket Road between Coldham's lane
and the railway bridge though. The Cambridge ones show permanent greens to
cycles. I rather doubt the Gower St one will have that facility.

I only knew about the Gower St one when riding a 73 Routemaster with my
daughter before it was too late for her to experience proper buses. I
cycle round Russell Square past the front of the BM up to that junction.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

John Rowland September 15th 04 09:03 PM

Route 73 - New service levels

"Dr. Sunil" wrote in message
om...
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote in message

Precisely. They're building a bus gate in Gower Street.

Is that something on the lines of the rising bollard type in Cambridge?

I doubt it. I think he means a traffic island between the bus lane and the
traffic lanes, with separate traffic lights for the buses and the traffic.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Adrian September 15th 04 09:54 PM

Route 73 - New service levels

Neil Williams ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

That turn seems tight in a Routemaster, never mind a bendy or
full-size decker

The one at the top of Kingsway, turning from High Holborn is quite
entertaining for a bendy, too - and that one's on the first route to go
bendy, whichever number it was (500?)

They seem to manage to overhang the kerbs and scrape the barriers on both
sides simultaneously.

Colin Rosenstiel September 15th 04 11:56 PM

Route 73 - New service levels

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

"Dr. Sunil" wrote in message
om...
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote in message

Precisely. They're building a bus gate in Gower Street.

Is that something on the lines of the rising bollard type in
Cambridge?

I doubt it. I think he means a traffic island between the bus lane and
the traffic lanes, with separate traffic lights for the buses and the
traffic.

Indeed. Come to think of it there's also one in Whitehall/Parliament
Street to give buses a better chance at the Parliament Square lights.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David Boothroyd September 16th 04 12:14 AM

Route 73 - New service levels

In article
,
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

I think he means a traffic island between the bus lane and
the traffic lanes, with separate traffic lights for the buses and the
traffic.

Indeed. Come to think of it there's also one in Whitehall/Parliament
Street to give buses a better chance at the Parliament Square lights.

Actually it's at the entrance to Derby Gate (outside the Red Lion),
just before Parliament Square. It's really annoying too as I often
get trapped there when the lights change.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"The guilty party was the Liberal Democrats and they were hardened offenders,

Colin Rosenstiel September 16th 04 01:19 AM

Route 73 - New service levels

In article ,
(David Boothroyd) wrote:

Indeed. Come to think of it there's also one in Whitehall/Parliament
Street to give buses a better chance at the Parliament Square lights.

Actually it's at the entrance to Derby Gate (outside the Red Lion),
just before Parliament Square. It's really annoying too as I often
get trapped there when the lights change.

That's the one. Trapped how? I cycle through it quite regularly now.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Dr. Sunil September 16th 04 11:54 AM

Route 73 - New service levels

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
"Dr. Sunil" wrote in message
om...
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote in message

Precisely. They're building a bus gate in Gower Street.

Is that something on the lines of the rising bollard type in Cambridge?

I doubt it. I think he means a traffic island between the bus lane and the
traffic lanes, with separate traffic lights for the buses and the traffic.

Ah, I see now, like the one at the A13 westbound at the Blackwall tunnel?

Colin Rosenstiel September 16th 04 04:11 PM

Route 73 - New service levels

In article ,
(Dr. Sunil) wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...
"Dr. Sunil" wrote in message
om...
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote in message

Precisely. They're building a bus gate in Gower Street.

Is that something on the lines of the rising bollard type in
Cambridge?

I doubt it. I think he means a traffic island between the bus lane
and the traffic lanes, with separate traffic lights for the buses and
the traffic.

Ah, I see now, like the one at the A13 westbound at the Blackwall
tunnel?

Pass.

--
Colin Rosenstiel