Old September 11th 04, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bicycle on the tube

Simon wrote:

I have looked at http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/bicycle.asp and
it is as clear as mud.

I want to take a bicycle from west London to Kings Cross on the
Piccadilly line. It clearly and reasonably states that I can only
take a bicycle off peak. It also states that I cannot take a cycle
east of Barons Court free of charge. There is no mention of being
able to do it with a charge.

OK, back to real life. If I take the bike to my local station off
peak and claim an allowed destination they will allow me on. Well
they may not, the Heathrow branch gets no mention. What happens in
reality if I tell the truth or am found with my bike on a banned
section.

https://tube.tfl.gov.uk/secure/custo...edbackform.asp
seems to want me to complain about something. I do not want to make
a complaint.

I know I could ask the local station staff but I want a real world
answer.

Simon

Basically, there is never a charge for bikes on the Underground -
they're only ever permitted or not. So when they say, "You can take an
unfolded bicycle with you free of charge on certain sections of the
London Underground," they *actually* mean, "you can take an unfolded
bicycle with you, free of charge, on certain sections...".

The list is of the permitted sections; anywhere else is not permitted,
because it is either too busy or is a deep-level tube.

To get from west London to King's Cross taking your bike, you'll have to
change at Hammersmith and take the Hammersmith & City line (or catch a
District from Barons Court and change cross-platform to a clockwise
Circle at Gloucester Road).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old September 11th 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Dave Arquati)
wrote:

Simon wrote:

I have looked at
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/bicycle.asp and
it is as clear as mud.

I want to take a bicycle from west London to Kings Cross on the
Piccadilly line.

No bicycles allowed on tube sections of the Underground. Full stop.

Basically, there is never a charge for bikes on the Underground -
they're only ever permitted or not. So when they say, "You can take an
unfolded bicycle with you free of charge on certain sections of the
London Underground," they *actually* mean, "you can take an unfolded
bicycle with you, free of charge, on certain sections...".

The list is of the permitted sections; anywhere else is not permitted,
because it is either too busy or is a deep-level tube.

To get from west London to King's Cross taking your bike, you'll have
to change at Hammersmith and take the Hammersmith & City line (or
catch a District from Barons Court and change cross-platform to a
clockwise Circle at Gloucester Road).

or cross-platform at Earl's Court and Edgware Road.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 11th 04, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Simon typed

Now I have to find out if MML take bikes.

They do, with caveats.

"You can take bicycles onto all High Speed Trains, however space must be
reserved in advance of travel. You can only travel on Turbostar Trains
on which Saver Ticketsare valid, however this is subject to space being
available and cannot be booked in advance. There is no charge for taking
a bicycle onto Midland Mainline services."

Copied from ML blue page in current National Rail Timetable.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old September 12th 04, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:26:33 +0100, Simon
wrote:

I can see why the deep tube don't want bikes and my question seems a
little silly. It is just that I see bikes on the deep level tube
all the time.

You also see beggars and unlicensed buskers on the tube all the time,
but that doesn't mean they should be there.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk