Old May 26th 09, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wide/Bicycle Barriers On Met Line

Hi

I need to travel on 1st train on Sunday Morning from Wembley Park to
Chesham Station. Do these stations have the new Bicycle Friendly
barriers, or do they have the old style barriers that have to be
opened by a member of staff?

Thanks
Ryan

Old May 26th 09, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

I need to travel on 1st train on Sunday Morning from Wembley Park to
Chesham Station. Do these stations have the new Bicycle Friendly
barriers, or do they have the old style barriers that have to be opened
by a member of staff?

I've not been through Chesham lately, but I'd be amazed if they'd
replaced the barriers. Certainly, other stations on the line are still
the older style.

Have you considered cycling out...? g
Old May 26th 09, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 26, 10:51*pm, Adrian wrote:
" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

I need to travel on 1st train on Sunday Morning from Wembley Park to
Chesham Station. Do these stations have the new Bicycle Friendly
barriers, or do they have the old style barriers that have to be opened
by a member of staff?

I've not been through Chesham lately, but I'd be amazed if they'd
replaced the barriers. Certainly, other stations on the line are still
the older style.

Have you considered cycling out...? g

In the future yes, but at present the extra 40 mile round trip would
kill me :-)
Old May 26th 09, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 26, 10:52*pm, "
wrote:
On May 26, 10:51*pm, Adrian wrote:

" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

I need to travel on 1st train on Sunday Morning from Wembley Park to
Chesham Station. Do these stations have the new Bicycle Friendly
barriers, or do they have the old style barriers that have to be opened
by a member of staff?

I've not been through Chesham lately, but I'd be amazed if they'd
replaced the barriers. Certainly, other stations on the line are still
the older style.

Have you considered cycling out...? g

In the future yes, but at present the extra 40 mile round trip would
kill me *:-)

Amersham station is also ok. Does anyone know about this station also??

Old May 27th 09, 05:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
" writes

I need to travel on 1st train on Sunday Morning from Wembley Park to
Chesham Station. Do these stations have the new Bicycle Friendly
barriers, or do they have the old style barriers that have to be
opened by a member of staff?

If you are worried that there may not be staff to open barriers at that
time, my understanding is that barriers have to be left in a locked-open
state if there is no member of staff on duty to open them manually.
--
Paul Terry
Old May 27th 09, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 27, 12:37*pm, wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message
,
" writes

I need to travel on 1st train on Sunday Morning from Wembley Park to
Chesham Station. Do these stations have the new Bicycle Friendly
barriers, or do they have the old style barriers that have to be
opened by a member of staff?

If you are worried that there may not be staff to open barriers at
that time, my understanding is that barriers have to be left in a
locked-open state if there is no member of staff on duty to open
them manually.

The gates are unlocked rather than open at East Putney when there is no
member of staff supervising them in person. I was just told to push it.
There are staff within the station if anyone using a gate needs assistance
but they are not immediately to hand.

(Just to be clear, Colin is referring to the manual side gates here.)

This arrangement seems to be fairly common - I've seen it at a number
of other stations too. The staff are close nearby, but as you say "not
immediately to hand" i.e. out on the gateline or supervising the
gateline from the immediately adjacent open ticket office (where they
can 'buzz open' a manual gate from). Sometimes staff seem to be just
behind the blind in the closed ticket office though.

So if there's no-one immediately to hand try the manual side gate and
you'll almost certainly find it unlocked (it's on springs so always
swings back closed again after being opened).
Old May 27th 09, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On May 27, 12:37 pm, wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message
,
" writes

[...]

What time is the first train anyway? I dout you'll get a through train and
will probably spend sometime at Chalfont and Latimer.

Old May 27th 09, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message
,
" writes

I need to travel on 1st train on Sunday Morning from Wembley Park to
Chesham Station. Do these stations have the new Bicycle Friendly
barriers, or do they have the old style barriers that have to be
opened by a member of staff?

If you are worried that there may not be staff to open barriers at that
time, my understanding is that barriers have to be left in a locked-open
state if there is no member of staff on duty to open them manually.

Having used Chesham many times, I can confirm that is the case.

Whenever the member of staff takes a lunch break, or a comfort break,
the wide gate is first locked in the open position.