London Banter

-   -   St's James Park's (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2170-sts-james-parks.html)

John Rowland September 13th 04 10:59 AM

St's James Park's

Anyone bemused by LUL's inability to spell St James's Park might enjoy this
sign which has adorned the wall of the New York Subway since 1933...

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/...d/brodaway.jpg

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Red_74 September 15th 04 04:43 PM

St's James Park's

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/...d/brodaway.jpg

:)) ehhh... that reminds me of my school years:

http://listsrv.columbusnetworks.com/shcool.jpg

--
cheers! Red
http://linx.by/red_74

Roland Perry September 17th 04 06:32 PM

St's James Park's

In message , at 11:59:39 on Mon,
13 Sep 2004, John Rowland
remarked:

Anyone bemused by LUL's inability to spell St James's Park

So what did they get wrong? The spelling of the area for centuries
before LUL was St James's Park.

Richard J. September 17th 04 08:34 PM

St's James Park's

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:59:39 on
Mon, 13 Sep 2004, John Rowland
remarked:

Anyone bemused by LUL's inability to spell St James's Park

So what did they get wrong? The spelling of the area for centuries
before LUL was St James's Park.

Indeed, and LUL have generally followed that spelling (with a dot after
"St"). But there is one roundel sign on the eastbound platform that
says St. James' Park.

--
Richard J.

Bob Adams September 17th 04 08:53 PM

St's James Park's

In message , Roland
Perry writes
In message , at 11:59:39 on
Mon, 13 Sep 2004, John Rowland
remarked:

Anyone bemused by LUL's inability to spell St James's Park

So what did they get wrong? The spelling of the area for centuries
before LUL was St James's Park.

But LUL like to back all the horses by having numerous signs with
different spellings. A case of at least one of them must be right? ;-)

--
Bob Adams - email address:

James September 28th 04 12:18 AM

St's James Park's

Bob Adams wrote in message ...
In message , Roland
Perry writes
In message , at 11:59:39 on
Mon, 13 Sep 2004, John Rowland
remarked:

Anyone bemused by LUL's inability to spell St James's Park

So what did they get wrong? The spelling of the area for centuries
before LUL was St James's Park.

But LUL like to back all the horses by having numerous signs with
different spellings. A case of at least one of them must be right? ;-)

Woofferton - or is it Wooferton - or Wofferton - station syndrome...

TheOneKEA September 28th 04 12:10 PM

St's James Park's

"Red_74" wrote in message ...

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/...d/brodaway.jpg

:)) ehhh... that reminds me of my school years:

http://listsrv.columbusnetworks.com/shcool.jpg

I can just imagine what they must have thought after noticing.