London Banter

-   -   Preserved LU loco on "The Tube" (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2202-preserved-lu-loco-tube.html)

[email protected] September 24th 04 08:13 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

Watched The Tube on ITV last night. They showed some LU guys preserving
some old LU works loco in by way of doing this they had it carted up
to Epping to be put into "a private siding". What siding would this be?
Is it on LU tracks or on the old epping-ongar line?

B2003

Mait001 September 24th 04 10:48 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

Watched The Tube on ITV last night. They showed some LU guys preserving
some old LU works loco in by way of doing this they had it carted up
to Epping to be put into "a private siding". What siding would this be?
Is it on LU tracks or on the old epping-ongar line?

B2003

I think it's the abandoned Epping-Ongar section, near Epping: I think you can
see the loco under tarpaulin from a nearby overbridge.

Marc.

Steve September 25th 04 08:12 AM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

In article , Mait001
writes
Watched The Tube on ITV last night. They showed some LU guys preserving
some old LU works loco in by way of doing this they had it carted up
to Epping to be put into "a private siding". What siding would this be?
Is it on LU tracks or on the old epping-ongar line?

B2003

I think it's the abandoned Epping-Ongar section, near Epping: I think you can
see the loco under tarpaulin from a nearby overbridge.

In that case, it'll probably be covered in graffiti by now...
--
Steve

Marratxi September 25th 04 01:48 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

"Steve" wrote in message
In article , Mait001
writes
Watched The Tube on ITV last night. They showed some LU guys preserving
some old LU works loco in by way of doing this they had it carted up
to Epping to be put into "a private siding". What siding would this be?
Is it on LU tracks or on the old epping-ongar line?
B2003

I think it's the abandoned Epping-Ongar section, near Epping: I think you

can
see the loco under tarpaulin from a nearby overbridge.

Can you give any more details - I missed the prog ?
Cheerz,
Baz

Mait001 September 25th 04 07:21 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

I think it's the abandoned Epping-Ongar section, near Epping: I think you
can
see the loco under tarpaulin from a nearby overbridge.

Can you give any more details - I missed the prog ?
Cheerz,
Baz

The loco is (I think) L11: it's 2 ends of driving cars from Tube Stock (of the
sort which was, or possibly still, on display in the Science Museum, South
Kensington) welded together to form an electric loco for LT. It's
yellow-coloured - I am sure you can find a picture of it in old LT stocklist
books (Ian Allan) etc.

Marc.

redtube September 26th 04 08:50 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

It is L11. This has been raised a number of times by various ppl. It is
owned by Craven Heritage Trains Ltd.(CHTL) and is between the car park and
the old signal box at Epping approach.

Last time I was up there I noticed several large rectangular type
containers, the sort you often see used as portable offices, at the far end
of the car park which rather blocks the view now of L11 somewhat, certainly
from the station itself it does.

As for L11 it seemed the volunteers started some kind of remedial work on
the loco and it now sports several shades of battleship grey, dark red and
that awful yellow, in fact a real mixture. Seems to have stayed like this
most of the summer and now late Autumn without any significant change.

http://www.simon5596.supanet.com/L11.htm but the site seems very slow
regards, Redtube
See you at the London Tube Chat
http://way.to/tube or Undernet IRC
irc://undernet/tube

Annabel Smyth September 27th 04 09:29 AM

redtube wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 26 Sep 2004:

http://www.simon5596.supanet.com/L11.htm but the site seems very slow

"Document not served due to excessive bandwidth usage"
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Spyke September 27th 04 01:50 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

In message , Annabel Smyth
writes
redtube wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 26 Sep 2004:

http://www.simon5596.supanet.com/L11.htm but the site seems very slow

"Document not served due to excessive bandwidth usage"

District Dave has info and photos of it on his site:
http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave...11_saved_.html
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do

James Looker September 27th 04 07:08 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

Spyke wrote:
In message , Annabel Smyth
writes

redtube wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 26 Sep 2004:

http://www.simon5596.supanet.com/L11.htm but the site seems very slow

"Document not served due to excessive bandwidth usage"

District Dave has info and photos of it on his site:
http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave...11_saved_.html

As you leave Epping to head towards Ongar there is a LU siding on the
left. The line to Ongar is now owned by a Private Company called Epping
Ongar Railway.

redtube September 28th 04 06:25 PM

"James Looker" wrote in message
As you leave Epping to head towards Ongar there is a LU siding on the
left. The line to Ongar is now owned by a Private Company called Epping
Ongar Railway.

Whats this got to do with L11?

UM Pston September 28th 04 07:59 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

James Looker wrote in message ...

District Dave has info and photos of it on his site:
http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave...11_saved_.html

As you leave Epping to head towards Ongar there is a LU siding on the
left. The line to Ongar is now owned by a Private Company called Epping
Ongar Railway.

The preserved L11 locomotive is not on the siding at the Ongar end.
It is near the old signal box at the Theydon Bois end of Epping
station. All trains go right past it. Years ago there was a
non-electrified engineers siding outside the signal box, battery locos
or track machines were sometimes left there so this loco doesn't look
out of place now.

Annabel Smyth September 28th 04 08:27 PM

redtube wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 28 Sep 2004:

"James Looker" wrote in message
As you leave Epping to head towards Ongar there is a LU siding on the
left. The line to Ongar is now owned by a Private Company called Epping
Ongar Railway.

Whats this got to do with L11?

It appears to be where it is stabled.

Phil September 29th 04 10:18 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

The loco is (I think) L11: it's 2 ends of driving cars from Tube Stock (of the
sort which was, or possibly still, on display in the Science Museum, South
Kensington) welded together to form an electric loco for LT. It's
yellow-coloured - I am sure you can find a picture of it in old LT stocklist
books (Ian Allan) etc.

Marc.

The train in the science museum has long gone. When I was a nipper you
were allowed inside but in later years not. Then last year I went to
the Acton Depot where it now isand was allowed back in. Nice bit of
nostalgia
HTH Phil

Mait001 September 30th 04 05:05 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

The loco is (I think) L11: it's 2 ends of driving cars from Tube Stock (of
the
sort which was, or possibly still, on display in the Science Museum, South
Kensington) welded together to form an electric loco for LT. It's
yellow-coloured - I am sure you can find a picture of it in old LT

stocklist
books (Ian Allan) etc.

Marc.

The train in the science museum has long gone. When I was a nipper you
were allowed inside but in later years not. Then last year I went to
the Acton Depot where it now isand was allowed back in. Nice bit of
nostalgia
HTH Phil

That's a great shame: the Science Museum has also lost Deltic, Caerphily
Castle, the Signal Box - does Terence Cuneo's superb painting of Waterloo
Station survive?

Marc.

Dave Newt September 30th 04 06:29 PM

Mait001 wrote:

That's a great shame: the Science Museum has also lost Deltic, Caerphily
Castle, the Signal Box

....and, it would seem, its Library too now:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/lets_talk/smlibrary.asp

I believe there was to be an announcement about what they had decided
(from the above) today, but I didn't hear what it was.

Richard J. September 30th 04 08:37 PM

Mait001 wrote:
The loco is (I think) L11: it's 2 ends of driving cars from Tube
Stock (of the sort which was, or possibly still, on display in
the Science Museum, South Kensington) welded together to form an
electric loco for LT. It's yellow-coloured - I am sure you can
find a picture of it in old LT stocklist books (Ian Allan) etc.

Marc.

The train in the science museum has long gone. When I was a nipper
you were allowed inside but in later years not. Then last year I
went to the Acton Depot where it now isand was allowed back in.
Nice bit of nostalgia
HTH Phil

That's a great shame: the Science Museum has also lost Deltic,
Caerphily Castle, the Signal Box - does Terence Cuneo's superb
painting of Waterloo Station survive?

The prototype Deltic and Caerphilly Castle are both at the National
Railway Museum at York. The Cuneo painting is listed on their site at
http://www.nrm.org.uk/html/exhib_pb/...e/waterloo.asp
Since the NRM and the Science Museum are both part of the NMSI family of
museums, "lost" is perhaps too strong a word.

Next Acton Depot Open Day weekend is October 9/10, by the way.

--
Richard J.

Spyke September 30th 04 09:26 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

The prototype Deltic and Caerphilly Castle are both at the National
Railway Museum at York.

I thought Caerphilly was now at STEAM in Swindon? Has it moved?

Richard J. September 30th 04 10:07 PM

Spyke wrote:
The prototype Deltic and Caerphilly Castle are both at the National
Railway Museum at York.

I thought Caerphilly was now at STEAM in Swindon? Has it moved?

Sorry, I missed that on the NRM's list. Yes, Caerphilly Castle is on
long-term loan to STEAM at Swindon. The prototype Deltic is at the NRM
though. Full list of what's where is at
http://www.nrm.org.uk/html/coll_pb/LOC1.asp
--
Richard J.

Mait001 October 1st 04 02:40 PM

Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

Since the NRM and the Science Museum are both part of the NMSI family of
museums, "lost" is perhaps too strong a word.

By "lost", I meant "to a location that will take a day to reach from London".

Frankly, I am appalled that there is not a single decent steam or diesel loco
on display anywhere in London any longer. What does that say about the
priroity to which the Science Museum attaches to these exhibits? After all,
York has countless other steam and diesel locos - keeping aforesaid in London
would hardly have been depriving York!

Marc.