Old October 5th 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Holborn Viaduct

"Peter Beale" wrote in message
o.uk...
In article ,

(Richard J.) wrote:
I would have expected the LCDR to call it Blackfriars originally, in the
way that railway companies named stations after whatever place they
were expecting the traffic to serve, however far away it actually was.
Perhaps they changed it to Blackfriars Bridge after Ludgate Hill
opened.

Sounds quite likely. If so, Clark (who is a mine of information) has not
picked it up - in his section on station name changes the only one he
has is that of the current Blackfriars from St Paul's.
Peter Beale

Thanks to all you guys who responded. I went there today and:-
1. Holborn Viaduct itself was something of a disappointment - it was
probably a much more interesting feature before all the huge office blocks
were built.
2. The length of the platforms at City Thameslink is astonishing as is the
tiny distance between that station and Blackfriars. The train I caught there
today stretched almost all the way between the two stations !!
3. Apart from the sidings to the west of the line between City Thameslink
and Farringdon I couldn't see any trace of other lines.
4. I've bought a map of the area as at 1914 and will be scanning the area in
question - if anybody would like a copy please let me know.
5. Off topic, I know, but what is that awful building with what looks like a
great big square, grey chimney between Holborn Viaduct and Farringdon.
Cheerz,
Baz

Old October 14th 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 14 Oct 2004:

http://www.londonrailways.net/snowhill.htm

Why does that link ask me for a user name and password now?

I don't know. It doesn't me.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/