London Banter

-   -   Off peak travelcards (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2230-off-peak-travelcards.html)

Wanderingjew698 October 2nd 04 06:22 PM

Off peak travelcards

Can i buy them the night before?

Robin Mayes October 2nd 04 06:30 PM

Off peak travelcards

"Wanderingjew698" wrote in message
Can i buy them the night before?

You can buy them upto 7 days before.

Lawrence Myers October 2nd 04 07:27 PM

Off peak travelcards

I was told, at LU ticket office, 4 days before.

--
Lawrence Myers

Paul October 2nd 04 07:38 PM

Off peak travelcards

Wanderingjew698 wrote:
Can i buy them the night before?

In theory, yes, but it depends on the mood of the geezer at the ticket
desk. I've once been told, "No", and quite often you have to swear
blindly that you will not travel before 9.30 the following day, even if
it happens to be Saturday.

I always thought that you could only buy them the day before, but from
other replies it appears that is wrong. What happens if I buy it four
days before, but then decide that I don't want to travel. Can I get a
refund?

Paul

Helen Deborah Vecht October 2nd 04 07:58 PM

Off peak travelcards

"Lawrence Myers" typed

I was told, at LU ticket office, 4 days before.

So was I ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Jiminy October 9th 04 02:56 PM

Off peak travelcards

On 02 Oct 2004 18:22:09 GMT, (Wanderingjew698)
wrote:

Can i buy them the night before?

Last week I was sleeping in an area where I have to catch the bus
first to get to the tube. The man at the counter at Lewisham told me
that "you can buy only AFTER the 9:30 of the day you're travelling"
and, appearing to me a stupid rule, I insisted and lost a bet with my
son (now living in London) that gave reason to that guy...

Paul Terry October 9th 04 03:25 PM

Off peak travelcards

In message ,
Wanderingjew698 writes

Can i buy them the night before?

As was pointed out in the thread you started here a few months ago, yes
- you can buy them up to 7 days in advance from ticket agents.

--
Paul Terry

Tom Anderson October 9th 04 06:59 PM

Off peak travelcards

wrote:

Can i buy them the night before?

Last week I was sleeping in an area where I have to catch the bus first
to get to the tube. The man at the counter at Lewisham told me that
"you can buy only AFTER the 9:30 of the day you're travelling" and,
appearing to me a stupid rule, I insisted and lost a bet with my son
(now living in London) that gave reason to that guy...

Sorry, but the guy at Lewisham was talking through his rear end. Section
K of the National Fares Manuals has the following to say about Off-Peak
Day Travelcards:

quote

Tickets are valid for travel from 0930 Monday to Friday on the date
shown on the ticket, and can only be issued at stations:-

* on the day of travel - from 0930 Monday to Friday (excluding Public
Holidays), except where trains are timed to depart at or soon after 0930
when they may be issued before 0930. This will normally be after the
departure of the last restricted train, but where the train service
operator allows they may be sold before then.

* In advance - from 0930 Monday to Friday, any time at weekends, and
Public Holidays, up to 7 days in advance of the day for which the ticket
is dated.

/quote

So you can't buy one during the morning peak, even if it's for another
day?

tom

--
I came here to chew gum and kick ass

James October 10th 04 12:59 AM

Off peak travelcards

wrote:

Can i buy them the night before?

Last week I was sleeping in an area where I have to catch the bus
first to get to the tube. The man at the counter at Lewisham told me
that "you can buy only AFTER the 9:30 of the day you're travelling"
and, appearing to me a stupid rule, I insisted and lost a bet with my
son (now living in London) that gave reason to that guy...

Well that's clearly ballox! I bought one at 0915 one Monday morning at
Euston station. I was specifically asked if I minded waiting 15
minutes before using it, which, seeing as I wanted the Met anyway, was
of course no big deal.

Rich Mallard October 11th 04 10:27 AM

Off peak travelcards

wrote:

Can i buy them the night before?

Last week I was sleeping in an area where I have to catch the bus
first to get to the tube. The man at the counter at Lewisham told me
that "you can buy only AFTER the 9:30 of the day you're travelling"
and, appearing to me a stupid rule, I insisted and lost a bet with my
son (now living in London) that gave reason to that guy...

Typical of SET counter staff who seem to know virtually nothing about ticket
validity. I have had so many problems with this at Bexley; the staff are so
amazingly wrong (and so patronisingly arrogant when you try and disagree
with them - oh no, they must be right, they're the ones selling the
tickets...)

I can only assume they have had no proper training whatsoever, and can't be
bothered to read the fares manuals.