Old October 15th 04, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pre'38's

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:31:50 +0100, "redtube"
wrote:

Did any of our older members on this ng ever, and I mean ever, travel "in
service" on a "standard stock" Pre'38?

Yes, but in most cases without knowing about it. It was always
exciting as a kid to get a new silver train on the Piccadilly
(1956TS?), so usually I must have travelled on standard stock.

I rode in standard stock trailers much later, as many Bakerloo Line
trains had one in the otherwise 1938 formation.

Old October 16th 04, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
redtube writes

"Bill Hayles" wrote in message
.. .
I recall as a 11 year old in 1959 a weekend holiday from Liverpool up

north
(where I was brought up) to London and my first ride on the London
Underground at Queensway Station using Tube Rover Tickets.

the terminus, such as Epping as I did on my Tube Rover ticket (not
allowed past Debden)

I don't know where you get that from.

Well I still stand by my thoughts on that Bill. I feel sure they were not
allowed to be used east of Debden and THAT would have included the infamous
Epping-Ongar shuttle at the time.

My favourite form of Saturday entertainment in the late 60's was to get
a Twin Rover and ride all over the system - and I definitely went to
Ongar, as I was also obsessed by the Paul Brickhill school of war memoir
writing at the time and wanted to see North Weald station, as featured
in Al Deere's story about getting shot down over Kent and getting back
to his base (at North Weald) by tube...

--
Steve
Old October 16th 04, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Did any of our older members on this ng ever, and I mean ever, travel "in
service" on a "standard stock" Pre'38?

Many, many times. Why, particularly, do you ask?

The reason is because there will undoubtably be fewer ppl and more of them
dwindling as the years go by now that ever did travel on them on the London
Underground, I have now added, and I wanted to hear of their memories of the
time. Perhaps not so interesting to younger members here.

Unfortunately, except for their reincarnation on the Isle of Wight,
my memories are influenced by my being an (Underground mad)
youngster at the time.

I don't know where you get that from.

Well I still stand by my thoughts on that Bill. I feel sure they were not
allowed to be used east of Debden and THAT would have included the infamous
Epping-Ongar shuttle at the time.

With respect, you are wrong, and if I needed to, I could provide
documentary proof. They were also valid on various BR services -
Kilburn High Road to Watford Junction, Liverpool Street (BR) to
Stratford, and BR trains on LT lines (Stratford to Epping,
Gunnersbury to Richmond, Harrow-on-the-Hill to Rickmansworth,
Moorgate to King's Cross). As has been discussed before, by far the
weirdest of these was Queen's Park to Kilburn High Road.

Did you ever get to ride on the TBWTKB (Acton Town to South Acton,
aka the Acton Ginny), or had that already closed?

No Bill I hadnt even noticed the South Acton Shuttle as a kid visiting
London in those days, as my time spent was extremely short lived, only two
days over the weekend as I had to get back up to Liverpool.

That's a shame, although I only got to know it in its last few
months, when the poor driver - operator had this kid asking loads of
questions for several trips There and Back While the Kettle Boiled.

My main regret is not visiting Epping - Ongar in steam days.
--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com
Old October 17th 04, 06:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jim Brittin:
Incidentally, I recall this station had diamond shaped platform name
signs which read 'ESSEX ROAD & [something]' but can't remember what.
Would it have been Canonbury?

Paul Terry:
I think it was the other way round - "Canonbury & Essex Road"

Leboff's "London Underground Stations abc" says it was originally
Essex Road, then Cannonsbury & Essex Road from 1922 to 1948, then
Essex Road again.

I think he might have the spelling wrong.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Yet Another Wonderful Novelty -- YAWN!"
-- Liam Quin

Old October 18th 04, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bill Hayles wrote in message . ..

Did you ever get to ride on the TBWTKB (Acton Town to South Acton,
aka the Acton Ginny), or had that already closed?

What does 'TBWTKB' stand for? I'm guessing that it's "....while the
kettle boils", as I've read that the service was also known as the
'Tea Run' or 'Kettle Run', the theory being that the out & home trip
could be made whilst boiling the water for a pot of tea!

David E. Belcher

Old October 18th 04, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message ...
--- Bill Haylessaid:

Many, many times.

You are Dame Celia Molestrangler, and I claim my five cordwangles.

Ooh! Isn't he bold?

David E. Belcher
Old October 18th 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bill Hayles:
Did you ever get to ride on the TBWTKB (Acton Town to South Acton,
aka the Acton Ginny), or had that already closed?

David Belcher:

"There and back...". See CULG: http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/district.html
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | I still remember the first time his reality check
Old October 18th 04, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David E.
Belcher writes
Bill Hayles wrote in message

Did you ever get to ride on the TBWTKB (Acton Town to South Acton,
aka the Acton Ginny), or had that already closed?

What does 'TBWTKB' stand for? I'm guessing that it's "....while the
kettle boils", as I've read that the service was also known as the
'Tea Run' or 'Kettle Run', the theory being that the out & home trip
could be made whilst boiling the water for a pot of tea!

"There and Back While the Kettle Boils" to give it its full name.
Hopefully soon to be revived in 7.25" gauge.
(See http://www.littleredtrain.co.uk/ginny.html)
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do