Old October 14th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pre'38's

Did any of our older members on this ng ever, and I mean ever, travel "in
service" on a "standard stock" Pre'38?

I recall as a 11 year old in 1959 a weekend holiday from Liverpool up north
(where I was brought up) to London and my first ride on the London
Underground at Queensway Station using Tube Rover Tickets.

At the lift a grim male voice used to announce "Stand Clear Of The Gates!"
Yes Queensway had some very modern lifts in those days Then the wind and
the incredible noise as the 8 car pre38 sets with two motor switchgear
compartments in the middle hurtled in to the platform. Then if you ever made
the terminus, such as Epping as I did on my Tube Rover ticket (not allowed
past Debden) there were the top notch Motormen! who wore dark blue overalls
and string vests who said you can fry eggs on the resistance housing plating
behind the drivers seat perch. Of course no chance of a ride in the cab -

Makes you wonder how ppl used to pack in the door entrances on Pre'38's as
the motor cars only had one set of double doors and a single leaf (which, if
at the end, was used by the Guard) Due to the configuration an 8car set had
a considerable distance of door access between the two middle motors.
Incredible days!

--
regards, Redtube

Old October 15th 04, 07:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Used to travel on them on the Northern City Line, which ran Finsbury Park to
Moorgate (tunnels now used by the WAGN trains from Drayton Park, as they
were built for full-size trains); the double doors also had a central
pillar, obstructing the doorways. Mainly from Highbury & Islington station,
the old entrance on the north east side of Holloway Road, which can still be
seen. There was a lift there too, and a spiral staircase which I usually
used as it was quicker than the short lift ride.

My paternal grandfather was a driver on this line, unfortunately he died on
the Somme in WW1, and his name is on the war memorial on Baker St station.

These trains were last in service on the IoW, before they bought post 38
stock.

Old October 15th 04, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"redtube" wrote in message ...
Did any of our older members on this ng ever, and I mean ever, travel "in
service" on a "standard stock" Pre'38?

Probably anyone who'd been on the Isle of Wight railway up to the early 90s.

B2003
Old October 15th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:31:50 +0100, "redtube"
wrote:

Did any of our older members on this ng ever, and I mean ever, travel "in
service" on a "standard stock" Pre'38?

Many, many times. Why, particularly, do you ask?

I recall as a 11 year old in 1959 a weekend holiday from Liverpool up north
(where I was brought up) to London and my first ride on the London
Underground at Queensway Station using Tube Rover Tickets.

ITYM "Twin Rover Tickets" - of which I bought a great many between
1958, when they were first introduced and 31st December 1969 when
they were withdrawn.

At the lift a grim male voice used to announce "Stand Clear Of The Gates!"
Yes Queensway had some very modern lifts in those days Then the wind and
the incredible noise as the 8 car pre38 sets with two motor switchgear
compartments in the middle hurtled in to the platform. Then if you ever made
the terminus, such as Epping as I did on my Tube Rover ticket (not allowed
past Debden)

I don't know where you get that from. If you search the archives of
both this group and uk.railway, you will find posts from me
detailing the many oddities of these tickets. The only part of the
Underground they weren't allowed on was from Rickmansworth to
Aylesbury / Chesham. I travelled to Ongar (the stronghold of the
1935 experimental stock) many, many times.

there were the top notch Motormen! who wore dark blue overalls
and string vests who said you can fry eggs on the resistance housing plating
behind the drivers seat perch. Of course no chance of a ride in the cab -

Poor you (although I never got a cab ride in standard stock). The
East London Line was particularly friendly to a young lad like me,
and I had many happy rides in the Tanks (F stock).

Makes you wonder how ppl used to pack in the door entrances on Pre'38's as
the motor cars only had one set of double doors and a single leaf (which, if
at the end, was used by the Guard) Due to the configuration an 8car set had
a considerable distance of door access between the two middle motors.
Incredible days!

It could certainly be slow, which is why the motor compartment was
eliminated in the 1935 stock and later.

Did you ever get to ride on the TBWTKB (Acton Town to South Acton,
aka the Acton Ginny), or had that already closed?

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com

Old October 15th 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jim Brittin
writes

Incidentally, I recall this station had diamond shaped platform name
signs which read 'ESSEX ROAD & [something]' but can't remember what.
Would it have been Canonbury?

I think it was the other way round - "Canonbury & Essex Road"

--
Paul Terry
Old October 15th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

--- Bill Haylessaid:

Many, many times.

You are Dame Celia Molestrangler, and I claim my five cordwangles.

Old October 15th 04, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
"redtube" wrote in message

Did any of our older members on this ng ever, and I mean ever, travel

"in
service" on a "standard stock" Pre'38?

Probably anyone who'd been on the Isle of Wight railway up to the early

90s.

B2003

Its amazing, yes of course I know they spent the end of their useful life on
IOW. However I know I should have said it and I admit I failed to do so
which was to remark, ever, travel "inservice" on a "standard stock" Pre'38
on the London Underground. I'm glad someone picked up on that. The reason is
because there will undoubtably be fewer ppl and more of them dwindling as
the years go by now that ever did. And I wanted to hear of their memories of
the time. Perhaps not so interesting to younger members here.
--
regards, Redtube

Old October 15th 04, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Did any of our older members on this ng ever, and I mean ever, travel "in
service" on a "standard stock" Pre'38?

Many, many times. Why, particularly, do you ask?

The reason is because there will undoubtably be fewer ppl and more of them
dwindling as the years go by now that ever did travel on them on the London
Underground, I have now added, and I wanted to hear of their memories of the
time. Perhaps not so interesting to younger members here.

I recall as a 11 year old in 1959 a weekend holiday from Liverpool up

north
(where I was brought up) to London and my first ride on the London
Underground at Queensway Station using Tube Rover Tickets.

the terminus, such as Epping as I did on my Tube Rover ticket (not
allowed past Debden)

I don't know where you get that from.

Well I still stand by my thoughts on that Bill. I feel sure they were not
allowed to be used east of Debden and THAT would have included the infamous
Epping-Ongar shuttle at the time.

Did you ever get to ride on the TBWTKB (Acton Town to South Acton,
aka the Acton Ginny), or had that already closed?
--
Bill Hayles

No Bill I hadnt even noticed the South Acton Shuttle as a kid visiting
London in those days, as my time spent was extremely short lived, only two
days over the weekend as I had to get back up to Liverpool. I concentrated
mainly on tube stock. Funnily I have in front of me right now an old LURS
mag that shows the 'acton ginny' on its front cover (in black & white of
course). It says the shuttle made its final journey on 28 Feb 1959. It used
two G class motors converted in 1940 from other driving ends. Another
interesting thing was the service operated as OPO! as part of the normal
District Line operating roster, the guard sat at Acton Town spare.
Maybe it had closed the year I came to London (1959) as it seems about right

--
regards, Redtube

Old October 15th 04, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"redtube" wrote in message

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
"redtube" wrote in message

[...]

I never travelled on a pre'38 train as such but a number of pre'38 trailers
were recycled into the 1960-stock trains which ran the Woodford-Hainault
shuttle for quite a few years. I remember the ride was pretty bad by the
the time I encountered them and, not long after, these trailers were
'upgraded' to 1938 stock, as seen on the preserved 1960-stock train.