Old October 16th 04, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 2 quick Pre-pay queries

Ok - got 2 quick queries about Pre-pay (which I now use and I've been
wondering about these things for a while now).

Firstly - if, after I've swiped in through the gates with pre-pay I change
my mind about the journey (i.e. forgotten something at home - have I left
the oven on etc.etc.), when I walk out of the gates again, would I get
charged?

And secondly, during those times when there's a problem on the tube and they
announce that it's recommend that passengers find alternative routes and
tickets will be accepted on other services, does that include pre-pay on
mainline trains that don't normally accept them (cos you can almost always
guarantee that the problem occurs when you're already on the platform so
you've already swiped in).

If the answer to the first query is that you wouldn't get charged, then the
second issue isn't a problem. But if you do get charged for a same zone -
same zone journey (£1?) then how would I claim that back?

Old October 16th 04, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:12:12 +0100, Stevie wrote:
Firstly - if, after I've swiped in through the gates with pre-pay I change
my mind about the journey (i.e. forgotten something at home - have I left
the oven on etc.etc.), when I walk out of the gates again, would I get
charged?

In my experience you have a problem. The gates wont let you out and
the ticket office staff can't cancel the entry on yuor card. You
have to wait for the 2 hour journey limit to expire, get an unresolved
journey and then go to a ticket office to have things tidied up.

David
Old October 16th 04, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stevie" typed

Ok - got 2 quick queries about Pre-pay (which I now use and I've been
wondering about these things for a while now).

Firstly - if, after I've swiped in through the gates with pre-pay I change
my mind about the journey (i.e. forgotten something at home - have I left
the oven on etc.etc.), when I walk out of the gates again, would I get
charged?

No but gate will bleep 'Seek Assistance'.
You should then get someone from the ticket office to cancel your
journey. This can be a right pain.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 16th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Walters typed

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:12:12 +0100, Stevie wrote:
Firstly - if, after I've swiped in through the gates with pre-pay I change
my mind about the journey (i.e. forgotten something at home - have I left
the oven on etc.etc.), when I walk out of the gates again, would I get
charged?

In my experience you have a problem. The gates wont let you out and
the ticket office staff can't cancel the entry on yuor card. You
have to wait for the 2 hour journey limit to expire, get an unresolved
journey and then go to a ticket office to have things tidied up.

David

When I had this, the ticket man *could* cancel my journey. I think he
did this by crediting £1 to my card.

I had swiped in to find chap writing 'no service etc' on whiteboard
behind the gateline.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 16th 04, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

When I had this, the ticket man *could* cancel my journey. I think he
did this by crediting £1 to my card.

I had swiped in to find chap writing 'no service etc' on whiteboard
behind the gateline.

What do I do if the same happens to me on the DLR though (in both OP's
example cases)?

--
Ian Tindale

Old October 16th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"Ian Tindale" wrote in message ...
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

When I had this, the ticket man *could* cancel my journey. I think he
did this by crediting 1 to my card.

I had swiped in to find chap writing 'no service etc' on whiteboard
behind the gateline.

What do I do if the same happens to me on the DLR though (in both OP's
example cases)?

--
Ian Tindale

I had this happen at a joint tube/rail station that is managed by a train operating company (the
ticket office sells Oyster including Prepay). They either couldn't, didn't know how to or didn't
want to credit the £1 back and told me to go to the nearest station managed by London Underground to
get it sorted.

The Oyster Card helpline cannot help in any way with problems of this type and also directed me to a
tube station.

So the answer is, if you are at a station managed by London Underground you can get it resolved but
if you are at any other kind of station you will have to wait until you pass a "real" tube station
to get your pound back.