Old October 19th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Default Institutionalised law-breaking using bikes - anarchy is near at hand

Tony Raven wrote:

It doesn't need all the paraphernalia you suggest of license plates on
bikes. First I am not sure where I could find to put one on mine and
second its been an abject failure with cars. What it needs is police or
wardens on the ground with a zero tolerance approach. However we all
know how likely that is to happen.

But when the police do stop a cyclist for either of these matters
(riding on the pavement or failing to stop at a red traffic light)
-- which in the case of those cyclists who really don't want to
stop is easier said than done -- they quite often get a torrent
of abuse along the lines of "why don't you go and catch some
real criminals?". This sometimes comes from passing motorists
or pedestrians as well as the cyclist.

(Of course, if you've just gone through a red traffic light, you
*are* a "real criminal" because you have just committed a real
crime.)

Matt Ashby

www.mattashby.com