Old October 28th 04, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Official defacement?

Getting on the tube at Tottenham Court Road just now, I noticed that one
of the little advertisement posters had a small sticker on it, as is
sometimes done by protesters of various kinds.

Except that this one said something like:

Using prepay on your Oyster? Always remember to touch in and out
by putting the card flat against the reader.

Huh? Who would do this unofficially? Yet why do it officially?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old October 28th 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:11:14 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:
Getting on the tube at Tottenham Court Road just now, I noticed that one
of the little advertisement posters had a small sticker on it, as is
sometimes done by protesters of various kinds.

Except that this one said something like:

Using prepay on your Oyster? Always remember to touch in and out
by putting the card flat against the reader.

Huh? Who would do this unofficially? Yet why do it officially?

Is this an intriguing marketing strategy? Your eye is often drawn to
the defacement stickers... perhaps TfL are using this to their
advantage?

It does seem rather odd. Was it a TfL poster on which the sticker
appeared?

Sam
Old October 28th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Getting on the tube at Tottenham Court Road just now, I noticed that one
of the little advertisement posters had a small sticker on it, as is
sometimes done by protesters of various kinds.

Except that this one said something like:

Using prepay on your Oyster? Always remember to touch in and out
by putting the card flat against the reader.

Huh? Who would do this unofficially?

Some sort of underground organisation?

Sorry.

More seriously, i think it probably is a TfL metasubvertisment. A cousin
of viral marketing, i suppose.

tom

--
see im down wid yo sci fi crew

Old October 28th 04, 10:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Sam Holloway
writes
It does seem rather odd. Was it a TfL poster on which the sticker
appeared?

No, McDonalds.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old October 28th 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
Getting on the tube at Tottenham Court Road just now, I noticed that one
of the little advertisement posters had a small sticker on it, as is
sometimes done by protesters of various kinds.

Except that this one said something like:

Using prepay on your Oyster? Always remember to touch in and out
by putting the card flat against the reader.

Huh? Who would do this unofficially? Yet why do it officially?

Sounds more likely that some wag has taken the sticker off a ticket wallet
and stuck it on the nearest suitable spot

Old October 29th 04, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin Mayes wrote:

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message

Getting on the tube at Tottenham Court Road just now, I noticed that one
of the little advertisement posters had a small sticker on it, as is
sometimes done by protesters of various kinds.

Except that this one said something like:

Using prepay on your Oyster? Always remember to touch in and out
by putting the card flat against the reader.

Huh? Who would do this unofficially? Yet why do it officially?

Sounds more likely that some wag has taken the sticker off a ticket wallet
and stuck it on the nearest suitable spot

If it was yellow and about 1cm x 4cm, then I think that's what it would
have been, since they comne stuck on the wallets (as a bit of an
afterthought I think).
Old October 29th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article t, Dave
Newt writes
If it was yellow and about 1cm x 4cm, then I think that's what it would
have been, since they comne stuck on the wallets (as a bit of an
afterthought I think).

Aha! It was. Mystery solved. Thanks.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old October 31st 04, 03:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message ...
Getting on the tube at Tottenham Court Road just now, I noticed that one
of the little advertisement posters had a small sticker on it, as is
sometimes done by protesters of various kinds.

Except that this one said something like:

Using prepay on your Oyster? Always remember to touch in and out
by putting the card flat against the reader.

Huh? Who would do this unofficially? Yet why do it officially?

Makes me want to go armed with big stickers reading "St Giles' Circus"
and correct the name of the station once and for all!
Old October 31st 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James wrote:
"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in
message ...
Getting on the tube at Tottenham Court Road just now, I noticed
that one of the little advertisement posters had a small
sticker on it, as is sometimes done by protesters of various
kinds.

Except that this one said something like:

Using prepay on your Oyster? Always remember to touch in
and out by putting the card flat against the reader.

Huh? Who would do this unofficially? Yet why do it officially?

Makes me want to go armed with big stickers reading "St Giles'
Circus" and correct the name of the station once and for all!

I didn't know there was more than one saint called Gile.
--
Richard J.
Old November 1st 04, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 31 Oct 2004:

Makes me want to go armed with big stickers reading "St Giles'
Circus" and correct the name of the station once and for all!

I didn't know there was more than one saint called Gile.

Er - hello? The OP was entirely correct in his usage of the apostrophe
there - if you have a name ending with "S", and wish to denote something
belonging to the bearer of that name, the apostrophe goes after it.
James' shoes, Thomas' gloves..... Mind you, it is arguable that, as the
Circus doesn't actually belong to St Giles, he doesn't need an
apostrophe.....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/