Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 9th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line Indicator Boards

Mark Brader wrote:
Several times in the last week (about 0810), the indicator boards at
Totteridge and Whetstone have shown :

1) Morden via Bank
2) Kennington via Charing Cross
3) Morden via Bank

The CX train then changes to "not in service", when this train
arrives it has "not in service" displayed on the front, but already
has passengers on boards, and lets on at T&W. It then changes to a
labelled CX train at West Finchley...

Why do you assume it's deliberate? Does it not occur to you it might
simply be a fault that the technicians haven't been able to fix yet?

Do the train describers on the platforms and the destination sign on
the train receive information from the same source, then? I would
have thought they'd be independent, but I guess if the train signs
are electronic, that no longer needs to be the case.

No. On board destination indicators, including the in-carriage displays, and
the voice announcements, are set by the driver. These are completely
separate from platform indications. I have normally found the driver's
knowledge to be more accurate than that displayed on platforms.
I cannot understand why a passenger train would display "Not in Service" and
then revert to a normal destination.

Lawrence Myers

--
Lawrence Myers