Old November 15th 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Default Eurostar to quit Waterloo

In message k
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 12:09:34 on Mon, 15
Nov 2004, Peter Masson remarked:
There's also the question of what to do with all the passenger
accommodation at Waterloo International, waiting rooms, immigration
offices, etc. Would it convert into a shopping mall? ;-)

Half of it is already shops.

Also, the routes through the terminal will have to be considered - while
getting on is relatively straight forward assuming they drop the
last-minute-only boarding scheme, getting off currently involves a
considerable walk through the bowels of the building.

Not necessary once you do away with customs, immigration and insecurity.
build a mezanine over the current sunken area before the barrier line and
have level access to the platforms as per the rest of the station.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Old November 15th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

A great shame trains are not going to run into Waterloo. For an extra
journey time of 20 mins the benefits are more then made up when you
consider the extra amount of time it will take to get to St Pancras.
When completed St Pancras will be a superb building, but to withdraw
service from Waterloo could potentially lead to lost revenue as people
from South West London decide on Heathrow as an easier option.

In terms of Waterloo International, I am sure all the vacated space
from Eurostar will be filled up by retail developments.

In terms of trains, it would be ideal terminus if a link was ever
built into Heathrow Airport, much more convenient then Padddington and
in the middle of London to boot. With the numbers using a Heathrow it
is an option that should not be dismissed,indeed it could run via the
West London line and on to Paddington that way

In terms of North Pole how about use as the Crossrail depot, may save
the cost of building a depot at Romford and reduce costs on the
scheme.

Martin

Mrs Redboots wrote in message ...
Alex Terrell wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 15 Nov 2004:

The Daily Telegraph reports that Eurostar will quit Waterloo in 2007.

I think this is a good idea. Even from Waterloo, it would be quicket
to take the tube to St Pancras and then take a fast Eurostar.

I wish I could agree with you. From where I live, in South London, it
was easy to get a bus to Waterloo - much easier, with luggage, than
faffing about on the Tube. Okay, Northern Line to Waterloo and Vicky
line to KingsX/St P are probably about the same in terms of time, but,
dammit, trains from Waterloo go on lines I use and know.... the trains
even go through Brixton Station! It won't be at all the same when they
have their dedicated track.

Old November 15th 04, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"M.Whitson" wrote in message

I think you have missed the point. The important people are the denizens

of
Whitehall and the Palace of Westminster both within a short taxi ride of
Waterloo. Also you cannot escape the fact that it is more than likely that

very large proportion of E* passengers originate from locations with

direct
access to Waterloo. Paris/Brussels bound passengers from more than 40

miles
north of London will find it far more convenient and less time consuming

use their regional airport - Stanstead, Manchester, Liverpool Newcastle

etc.

Those from South-East of London find it more convenient to go to Ashford,
rather than go into London, transfer to Waterloo, walk down a very long
platform, and return whence they came. Gatwick was much more convenient, but
nature abhors a vacuum.
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk/

Old November 15th 04, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Paul Terry wrote:
In message ,
TheOneKEA writes

).

I suspect Eurostar will lose a fair amount of traffic to Heathrow, and
I'm not convinced they will easily replace it. Strange for a company
to want to restrict its outlets ... and if the government was serious
in wanting to restrict air-traffic pollution, it might have stepped in
(perhaps Eurostar are hoping they still might!).

Or a new boy on the block that will also offer trains through the
Channel Tunnel, competition anyone?

Old November 16th 04, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

TheOneKEA wrote:
Paul Terry wrote in message ...

In message , Alex
Terrell writes

The Daily Telegraph reports that Eurostar will quit Waterloo in 2007.

I think this is a good idea. Even from Waterloo, it would be quicket
to take the tube to St Pancras and then take a fast Eurostar.

There's no direct tube! It ought to be quicker to take the Jubilee
direct from Waterloo to Stratford and pick-up Eurostar there. However,
the interchange at Stratford looks as though it is going to be poor.

Actually, it won't. If the Stratford International DLR link is mooted,
passengers will have level access from the Jubbly terminus to the
former westbound NLL platform, where they can catch the DLR to the
International station.

You are right about the lack of direct tube services; unfortunately,
the obvious choice of changing at Warren Street requires hiking
through the station. Too bad that Crossrail 3 will be opened after the
sun has burnt out...

Waterloo to King's Cross isn't terrible - if it's done via the
cross-platform interchange at Oxford Circus. However, it's not the most
obvious route (which I reckon, from the tube map, looks like via
Leicester Square). Perhaps they should put up really big signs at
Waterloo...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old November 16th 04, 06:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In message , Dave Arquati
writes

Waterloo to King's Cross isn't terrible - if it's done via the
cross-platform interchange at Oxford Circus.

No, but the point is that there will now be three interchanges each way
where there is now only one.

Six interchanges on a return trip to the continent where there are now
only two.

I fear this will be a big disincentive to use Eurostar.

However, it's not the most obvious route (which I reckon, from the tube
map, looks like via Leicester Square). Perhaps they should put up
really big signs at Waterloo...

For SWT services that stop at Vauxhall, the Victoria line to King's
Cross will be a better bet - but the interchange at Vauxhall, with
luggage, in the rush hour, is an abomination.

--
Paul Terry
Old November 16th 04, 07:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In message , at 23:03:05 on Mon,
15 Nov 2004, Terry Harper remarked:
Those from South-East of London find it more convenient to go to Ashford,
rather than go into London, transfer to Waterloo, walk down a very long
platform, and return whence they came. Gatwick was much more convenient, but
nature abhors a vacuum.

A year ago I had to plan a trip that involved an international flight
into Gatwick early morning, then getting to Brussels by lunchtime. There
was only one flight, which was too early. A train to Ashford was too
slow to make a useful connection with any of the few trains that stop at
Ashford. So I could only make it via Gatwick Express, Victoria and
Waterloo.

But my inbound flight was very late, and the next best plan was to drive
to Ashford and get to Brussels by teatime ahead of the second day of the
meeting (at least then I could drive straight home from Ashford on the
way back, rather than getting a train to Gatwick then driving home).

Integrated transport! Don't make me laugh.

Old November 16th 04, 07:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In message , at 07:08:03 on Tue, 16 Nov
2004, Paul Terry remarked:
For SWT services that stop at Vauxhall, the Victoria line to King's
Cross will be a better bet - but the interchange at Vauxhall, with
luggage, in the rush hour, is an abomination.

The interchange at KX isn't a picnic either. Although I hope they'll do
something about all the stairs as part of the St Pancras upgrade.
Old November 16th 04, 07:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Paris/Brussels bound passengers from more than 40 miles
north of London will find it far more convenient and less time consuming

use their regional airport - Stanstead, Manchester, Liverpool Newcastle

etc.
MJW

Please watch your comma use - "..Liverpool, Newcastle...." - us up here in
the centre of the universe don't need to be associated with an obscure
Midlands city like Liverpool!

Envo