Old November 23rd 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Eurostar to quit Waterloo

wrote in message
In uk.railway Graeme Wall wrote:
Given my national rail (aka SWT) train to Waterloo doesn't stop at

Vauxhall
that is not a great deal of help. I'm in the quadrant that is probably

most
affected by the change. I'm too far west to make using Ashford at all
attractive and too far south for an easy journey to St Pancras. Also

will
there be CIV tickets available?

I must be missing something as I do Waterloo-St Pancras everytime I
go and see my girlfriend in Bournemouth (thus avoiding Virgin voyagers
and CT fun since the Cov-Loughborough service was shelved). This is
sometimes with a _large_ rucksack or trolley for a week's stay. I
usually go St.Pancras to Leicester Square on the Piccy and then on to
Waterloo on the Northern. There's a few steps in there and sometimes
the Tube can be a bit packed (especially at peak times) but its not a
big deal IMHO.

The bid advantage of the old SR was that it offered interchange between it's
surface lines. As the CTRL goes through, err, Kent, why can't we have a
connecting service between Waterloo and whichever convenient station on the
CTRL they choose?

Old November 23rd 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:53:50 on Tue, 23 Nov
2004, MartinM remarked:
The bid advantage of the old SR was that it offered interchange between it's
surface lines. As the CTRL goes through, err, Kent, why can't we have a
connecting service between Waterloo and whichever convenient station on the
CTRL they choose?

You can currently do Waterloo East to Ashford in 1hr 4 mins, direct.

That's almost as fast as E* manages.
Old November 24th 04, 03:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news

You can currently do Waterloo East to Ashford in 1hr 4 mins, direct.

That's almost as fast as E* manages.

Thanks, that ends the argument!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 24th 04, 02:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:13:21 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

You can currently do Waterloo East to Ashford in 1hr 4 mins, direct.

That's almost as fast as E* manages.

But considerably slower than the 56 minutes achieved in the 1960s!

--
Bill Hayles
http://www.rossrail.com

Old November 24th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

You can currently do Waterloo East to Ashford in 1hr 4 mins, direct.

That's almost as fast as E* manages.

But considerably slower than the 56 minutes achieved in the 1960s!

And quicker than will be possible with the SRA's Train Service Specification
for the IKF (from the consultation document), as the best off-peak train
will have 7 or 8 intermediate stops, and the best peak train will have 4 or
5. Just as there are E* passengers who would prefer to go direct to
Waterloo, there are SET passengers who will prefer to use Charing Cross,
Waterloo East, London Bridge or Cannon Street, and don't want to go to
Stratford or St Pancras.

Peter