Old November 21st 04, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 5 days in London

sandy wrote:
"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote:
Off-Peak from 0930 on a weekday (midnight at weekend) until 0430 the
following day.
Peak from midnight until 0430 the following day (up to 28.5 hours)

I know nothing about Visitor Travelcards as they're not easily available
in London. I thought they had to be purchased overseas.

I think the Transport for London website is down right now. Hope it's up
again soon.

Yes, it seems to be down!
I understood the difference peak and off-peak. Things being as they are is
quite worthless buyin a one-day travelcard in the afternoon, right? I mean,
if I buy it at 3.00 pm I cannot use it until the next day at the same hour
(right?) but only untill 4.30 am.
What a mess!

It might seem odd if you're used to something different but a One-Day
Travelcard is the right choice if you make more than two single
Underground journeys (as Zone 1 single journeys are £2 each but the ODTC
is £4.30) within the same day.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old November 21st 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , sandy
writes

OK, but now you are talking about 7-day TC?

My previous question was about the one-day TC.....

Just in case it is not clear:

You can buy any sort of travelcard several days in advance for the
precise date you want.

For example, earlier today I went to our local shop and purchased a
one-day off-peak travel card for Wednesday 24th November. I will be able
to use this on Wednesday, from 0930 onwards because that date is printed
on the ticket.

This is different to the system that I often encounter in Italy, where
the ticket you buy doesn't get a date stamp (or become valid) until the
first time you validate it on a station or in a bus.

I hope this helps.

--
Paul Terry
Old November 21st 04, 11:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote:

For example, earlier today I went to our local shop and purchased a
one-day off-peak travel card for Wednesday 24th November. I will be able
to use this on Wednesday, from 0930 onwards because that date is printed
on the ticket.

This is different to the system that I often encounter in Italy, where
the ticket you buy doesn't get a date stamp (or become valid) until the
first time you validate it on a station or in a bus.

I hope this helps.

OK, thank you at everyone. My idea, in fact, was a little bit different. As
you said, here we use to validate the ticket just when we start the travel.
In my mind it was stupid to buy a one-day travelcard and use it only for
some hours. But I understand that single tickets are really too expensive
and so........it's better a travelcard!!!!
Thank you for your help :-)

Old November 22nd 04, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Martin Rich
writes

For the London Pass to be worthwhile you need to get through a fair
number of expensive visitor attractions in the time that you're here.

At least two a day.

For most visitors it's better simply to pay for attractions as they go

I wouldn't like to generalise, but personally I reckon on doing around
four attractions a day when we go abroad on a city break. I dare say
everyone differs in their enthusiasm!

But its worth noting that many of the big London attractions are very
expensive - St Paul's Cathedral + Tower of London would cost you nearly
20 quid per person, so free entry to multiple attractions for around 12
pounds a day doesn't strike me as a bad deal.

--
Paul Terry
Old November 22nd 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Sandy,

sandy wrote:

I read about these Visitors Travelcards but someone tells they are
sold in London as well. I really dont'know.
Are they convenient? What kind of attractions have a reduction?

I always found Visitor Travelcards most convenient, as one does not
have to worry about peaks or not peaks. I did not use the reduction
vouchers too much because they mostly cover all those main tourist
attractions I tend to avoid.

Visitor Travelcards are not (legally) sold in London. You buy a voucher
abroad, and they change it for the real thing at some of the major
stations.

For our last 5-day stay we bought a 4-Day VTC and single tickets for
the journey from the airport to the hotel.

CU,
Peter

Old November 22nd 04, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Zinckgraf" wrote:

I always found Visitor Travelcards most convenient, as one does not
have to worry about peaks or not peaks.

You are right but it means you assume one day starting your travel before
9.30 and another day after, right?
I am sure I will not use it before 9.30; in this case, a visitor would be
wasted above all if all the reductions are just a lark-mirror......

Old November 22nd 04, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I wouldn't like to generalise, but personally I reckon on doing around
four attractions a day when we go abroad on a city break. I dare say
everyone differs in their enthusiasm!

But its worth noting that many of the big London attractions are very
expensive - St Paul's Cathedral + Tower of London would cost you nearly
20 quid per person, so free entry to multiple attractions for around 12
pounds a day doesn't strike me as a bad deal.

Indeed not, though http://www.london2for1.com/2for1/ makes the issue less
clearcut if you are only going around one or two in a day. Two for the
price of one as long as you have a valid train ticket for that day (a
travelcard will do fine).