London Banter

-   -   A big Thank You to Ken Livingstone (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2434-big-thank-you-ken-livingstone.html)

[email protected] November 23rd 04 11:56 PM

A big Thank You to Ken Livingstone

In article ,
(Steve) wrote:

I would like to congratulate Ken on bringing in Oystercard Prepay, not
only do I get my bus journeys to work for only 70p
a time, but I also get about one 1 in 3 as free journeys due to the
reader on the bus as you enter by the driver being out
of order.

What I would like to ask any of you erstwhile readers is, what would
hapeen if an inspector got on and my card showed that I hadn't made a
transaction to pay for that journey? Would I be expected to pay in cash
(no doubt at full rate of £1) and if I didn't have the money, then
surely I should be able to travel for free, besides, ghaving my card
with me is intention to pay and it's not my fault that the reader is
broken.

There's been quite a few buses I've been on in the last fortnight where
the reader's been knackered.

Roger

Helen Deborah Vecht November 24th 04 01:14 PM

A big Thank You to Ken Livingstone

ped

There's been quite a few buses I've been on in the last fortnight where
the reader's been knackered.

Genuinely knavkered or driven by someone who CBA to switch on the Oyster
reader? ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

Alek November 28th 04 03:01 AM

A big Thank You to Ken Livingstone

AFAIK The Reader is wired directly to the TIM so the driver has no hand,act
or part in switching on or off anything....?

Robin May December 2nd 04 10:57 PM

A big Thank You to Ken Livingstone

steve wrote the following in:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:05:04 +0000, Robin May wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote the following in:

Robin May wrote:
I got a free ride like that the other day. I felt entirely
justified in taking it because I was taking the bus to the
station to buy a ticket that would cover the journey I was
making.

Roll on 2005 and capping. (I realise that doesn't help with the
broken reader but it might help with the paying to get somewhere
you can buy a ticket for the journey you just made).

Will it even be able to work out "he used a bus and then bought a
one month travelcard afterwards" and subtract the bus journey?

They can probably do that at the ticket desk if you ask nicely and
they are not busy. Of course it should not need to even wait for
capping to deduct all bus journeys made if buying a travelcard the
covers that day, that can hardly be complicated or controversial?

I tried that today, and as expected the answer was "no, can't do that".
It annoys me that I should have to pay £1 for the privilege of being
able to buy a ticket that would cover the journey I just made.

--
message by Robin May. That egotism was getting old.

Americans who voted for Bush: you ****ed up.

http://robinmay.fotopic.net