Old November 22nd 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A big Thank You to Ken Livingstone

I would like to congratulate Ken on bringing in Oystercard Prepay, not only
do I get my bus journeys to work for only 70p
a time, but I also get about one 1 in 3 as free journeys due to the reader
on the bus as you enter by the driver being out
of order.

What I would like to ask any of you erstwhile readers is, what would hapeen
if an inspector got on and my card showed that I hadn't made a transaction
to pay for that journey? Would I be expected to pay in cash (no doubt at
full rate of £1) and if I didn't have the money, then surely I should be
able to travel for free, besides, ghaving my card with me is intention to
pay and it's not my fault that the reader is broken.

Old November 22nd 04, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve" wrote in message

I get my bus journeys to work for only 70p
a time, but I also get about one 1 in 3 as free
journeys due to the reader on the bus
as you enter by the driver being out of order.

At last, a good reason to switch from Saver tickets!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 22nd 04, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve wrote:
I would like to congratulate Ken on bringing in Oystercard
Prepay, not only do I get my bus journeys to work for only
70p a time, but I also get about one 1 in 3 as free journeys
due to the reader on the bus as you enter by the driver
being out of order.

I guess you're not a Council Tax payer in Greater London. Who do you
think has to pay in the end for TfL's failure to collect fares?
--
Richard J.

Old November 22nd 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

What I would like to ask any of you erstwhile readers is, what would
hapeen
if an inspector got on and my card showed that I hadn't made a transaction
to pay for that journey? Would I be expected to pay in cash (no doubt at
full rate of £1) and if I didn't have the money, then surely I should be
able to travel for free, besides, ghaving my card with me is intention to
pay and it's not my fault that the reader is broken.

Wouldn't the inspector just be able to use his/her hand held Oyster 'reader'
to charge you for your journey? Presumably he/she will have checked with
the driver for reported problems with the on board unit.

Old November 22nd 04, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve" wrote the following in:

I would like to congratulate Ken on bringing in Oystercard Prepay,
not only do I get my bus journeys to work for only 70p
a time, but I also get about one 1 in 3 as free journeys due to
the reader on the bus as you enter by the driver being out
of order.

I got a free ride like that the other day. I felt entirely justified in
taking it because I was taking the bus to the station to buy a ticket
that would cover the journey I was making.

--
message by Robin May. That egotism was getting old.

Americans who voted for Bush: you ****ed up.

http://robinmay.fotopic.net

Old November 23rd 04, 12:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:
"Steve" wrote the following in:

I would like to congratulate Ken on bringing in Oystercard Prepay,
not only do I get my bus journeys to work for only 70p
a time, but I also get about one 1 in 3 as free journeys due to
the reader on the bus as you enter by the driver being out
of order.

I got a free ride like that the other day. I felt entirely justified in
taking it because I was taking the bus to the station to buy a ticket
that would cover the journey I was making.

Roll on 2005 and capping. (I realise that doesn't help with the broken
reader but it might help with the paying to get somewhere you can buy a
ticket for the journey you just made).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old November 23rd 04, 01:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote the following in:

Robin May wrote:
I got a free ride like that the other day. I felt entirely
justified in taking it because I was taking the bus to the
station to buy a ticket that would cover the journey I was
making.

Roll on 2005 and capping. (I realise that doesn't help with the
broken reader but it might help with the paying to get somewhere
you can buy a ticket for the journey you just made).

Will it even be able to work out "he used a bus and then bought a one
month travelcard afterwards" and subtract the bus journey?

Old November 23rd 04, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:

I got a free ride like that the other day. I felt entirely
justified in taking it because I was taking the bus to the
station to buy a ticket that would cover the journey I was
making.

Roll on 2005 and capping. (I realise that doesn't help with the
broken reader but it might help with the paying to get somewhere
you can buy a ticket for the journey you just made).

Will it even be able to work out "he used a bus and then bought a one
month travelcard afterwards" and subtract the bus journey?

Hmm. Probably not.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old November 23rd 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve wrote:
What I would like to ask any of you erstwhile readers is, what would hapeen
if an inspector got on and my card showed that I hadn't made a transaction
to pay for that journey? Would I be expected to pay in cash (no doubt at
full rate of £1) and if I didn't have the money, then surely I should be
able to travel for free, besides, ghaving my card with me is intention to
pay and it's not my fault that the reader is broken.

Surely the inspector would have seen the bit of paper saying 'Oyster
Broken' when he got on the bus and use his common sense?

Old November 23rd 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:
I got a free ride like that the other day. I felt entirely
justified in taking it because I was taking the bus to the
station to buy a ticket that would cover the journey I was
making.

Roll on 2005 and capping. (I realise that doesn't help with the
broken reader but it might help with the paying to get somewhere
you can buy a ticket for the journey you just made).

Will it even be able to work out "he used a bus and then bought a one
month travelcard afterwards" and subtract the bus journey?

They can probably do that at the ticket desk if you ask nicely and they
are not busy. Of course it should not need to even wait for capping to
deduct all bus journeys made if buying a travelcard the covers that day,
that can hardly be complicated or controversial?