London Banter

-   -   Late-night Tube plan announced (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2436-late-night-tube-plan-announced.html)

Richard J. November 22nd 04 09:51 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

BBC news report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4031397.stm

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said. The
last Tube would run at 1.30am, but [the Tube] would not start running
until an hour later the next day to allow time for maintenance work.

TfL will consult Tube users, businesses and workers about the plans over
the coming months. If approved, services would be extended by the end of
2006."

--
Richard J.

redtube November 23rd 04 10:03 AM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
BBC news report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4031397.stm

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said.

Oh yeah are they going to put the idea to the Train Ops as well?

Phil Richards November 23rd 04 10:44 AM

redtube wrote:

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said.

Oh yeah are they going to put the idea to the Train Ops as well?

So a change to rosters, perhaps. What's wrong with that? Most staff who
finish work late in the day will still have to rely upon getting home by
car or night bus with the existing arrangements, I can't see what extra
difficulties will be met with finishing say an hour or two later two
nights a week.

It seems the case is clear. You can have a later closed close down time
at Weekends at the expense of a later start up time the following
mornings? Perhaps we ought to be questioning whether or not the
maintenance work can be fitted around slightly longer operational hours
by retaining existing start up times and for two nights a week just
loosing an hour or two at the end of the day.

--
Phil Richards
Strod Green, London

LarryLard November 23rd 04 11:22 AM

"Richard J." wrote in message o.uk...
BBC news report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4031397.stm

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said. The
last Tube would run at 1.30am, but [the Tube] would not start running
until an hour later the next day to allow time for maintenance work.

TfL will consult Tube users, businesses and workers about the plans over
the coming months. If approved, services would be extended by the end of
2006."

Something makes me suspect that wannabe-late-night-tube-users will be
more vocal during the consultation period than
already-early-morning-tube-users, and we will end up with an hour more
of ****ed people and an hour less of useful workers, but that's just
me being cynical I guess.

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Fustanella November 23rd 04 12:11 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

the coming months. If approved, services would be extended by the end of

How can it be called being "extended" when the closed hours are just
shifting?

Kevin November 23rd 04 02:32 PM

Phil Richards wrote in message ET...
redtube wrote:

[...]

I really don't see this coming off. A few late over running
engineering works and you wont see the first underground trains until
after 8am. I can see London businesses tolerating that just so a few
party goers on a Friday night don't need to get a taxi home.
But typical of this country to treat the symptom and not the cause.

Tom Anderson November 23rd 04 05:37 PM

On 23 Nov 2004, Kevin wrote:

typical of this country to treat the symptom and not the cause.

Which is what? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

tom

--
REMOVE AND DESTROY

Phil Richards November 23rd 04 06:20 PM

Kevin wrote:

I really don't see this coming off. A few late over running
engineering works and you wont see the first underground trains until
after 8am. I can see London businesses tolerating that just so a few
party goers on a Friday night don't need to get a taxi home.

A "few" party goers? According to the figures on the BBC site 140,000
would use a later running tube service. 55,000 use the tube on during the
first hour of the weekend.

But typical of this country to treat the symptom and not the cause.

So your solution would be?

Chris November 23rd 04 07:01 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

Something makes me suspect that wannabe-late-night-tube-users will be
more vocal during the consultation period than
already-early-morning-tube-users, and we will end up with an hour more
of ****ed people and an hour less of useful workers, but that's just
me being cynical I guess.

I thought it was in the bye-laws that you can't be intoxicated and
travel on the tube

umpston November 23rd 04 08:18 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"LarryLard" wrote in message
om...
"Richard J." wrote in message

o.uk...
BBC news report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4031397.stm

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said. The
last Tube would run at 1.30am, but [the Tube] would not start running
until an hour later the next day to allow time for maintenance work.

TfL will consult Tube users, businesses and workers about the plans over
the coming months. If approved, services would be extended by the end of
2006."

Something makes me suspect that wannabe-late-night-tube-users will be
more vocal during the consultation period than
already-early-morning-tube-users,

Well there are more of them, with a corresponding late-night economic
benefit to London.

and we will end up with an hour more
of ****ed people and an hour less of useful workers, but that's just
me being cynical I guess.

Yes you are. There is no need for an hour less of useful workers - in
todays "can do" society companies can just change their shifts to match the
tubes. Or helpfully advise their employees to get bikes. Anybody else has
no business to be up at such unearthly hours on the weekend.

redtube November 23rd 04 10:13 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"Phil Richards" wrote in message
T...
redtube wrote:

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said.

Oh yeah are they going to put the idea to the Train Ops as well?

So a change to rosters, perhaps. What's wrong with that?

A hell uv a lot thats what You think I want to be faced with turns finishin
at 2am or whatever to cart a load of smashed faced loonies around that fall
asleep, sometimes throw up and often have to be removed from carriages.Also
they will push more night turns on us and remember we dont get paid any
extra any more for night duties its all thrown in the monthly salary these
days whatever hours of the 24 hour clock worked. Might be different if there
was sommat in it for us. What decent people travel home at that hour anyway?

redtube November 23rd 04 10:16 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
I thought it was in the bye-laws that you can't be intoxicated and
travel on the tube

er interesting concept but not likely to be true otherwise there would be
nobody on the trains after midnight!

Tom Anderson November 23rd 04 10:47 PM

On 23 Nov 2004, Chris wrote:

Something makes me suspect that wannabe-late-night-tube-users will be
more vocal during the consultation period than
already-early-morning-tube-users, and we will end up with an hour more
of ****ed people and an hour less of useful workers, but that's just
me being cynical I guess.

On the bright side, you'll be tucked up in bed while they're filling the
carriages with vomit, so it shouldn't affect you too much.

I thought it was in the bye-laws that you can't be intoxicated and
travel on the tube

Presumably; i've certainly never seen anyone do it.

tom

--
Optical illusions are terrorism of the mind.

Phil Richards November 23rd 04 11:05 PM

redtube wrote:

So a change to rosters, perhaps. What's wrong with that?

A hell uv a lot thats what You think I want to be faced with turns finishin
at 2am or whatever to cart a load of smashed faced loonies around that fall
asleep, sometimes throw up and often have to be removed from carriages.Also
they will push more night turns on us and remember we dont get paid any
extra any more for night duties its all thrown in the monthly salary these
days whatever hours of the 24 hour clock worked. Might be different if there
was sommat in it for us.

My heart bleeds for you. What sort of money must you be on? £30K+ ?

What decent people travel home at that hour anyway?

For starters people that are employed in the leisure industry in Central
London. Agree some of their customers might not be in a good state to
travel, but I think you'll find a majority are. They have got every right
to travel home on public transport services like you or I.

--
Phil Richards
Stroud Green, London

Richard J. November 23rd 04 11:29 PM

redtube wrote:

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on
Friday and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor
has said.

Oh yeah are they going to put the idea to the Train Ops as well?

So a change to rosters, perhaps. What's wrong with that?

A hell uv a lot thats what You think I want to be faced with turns
finishin at 2am or whatever to cart a load of smashed faced loonies
around that fall asleep, sometimes throw up and often have to be
removed from carriages.Also they will push more night turns on us
and remember we dont get paid any extra any more for night duties
its all thrown in the monthly salary these days whatever hours of
the 24 hour clock worked. Might be different if there was sommat in
it for us.

There is. Five-day, 35-hour working week and 52 days holiday according
to the BBC. Bob Crow and the RMT have agreed a deal which includes the
principles of later running on Friday and Saturday, and also commits to
24-hour working on New Year's Eve. See

I've just noticed that the report says the deal has been agreed by
"station staff". Not sure if that's significant (not drivers?) or if
it's just sloppy wording.

--
Richard J.

Kevin November 24th 04 07:33 AM

Kevin wrote:

I really don't see this coming off. A few late over running
engineering works and you wont see the first underground trains until
after 8am. I can see London businesses tolerating that just so a few
party goers on a Friday night don't need to get a taxi home.

A "few" party goers? According to the figures on the BBC site 140,000
would use a later running tube service. 55,000 use the tube on during the
first hour of the weekend.

But typical of this country to treat the symptom and not the cause.

So your solution would be?

And what about the second hour. My comment was for late running
engineering work, not the fact that between 5.30 and 6.30 the tube is
hardly used.
My solution is that people go home earlier.
I can see this idea causing considerable problems for workers getting
into work for Saturday morning, and travellers with early departures.
It will will boil down to has more clout. The retail industry having
problems getting workers in on Saturday morning and the hospitality
industry because it can't stay open until some unearthly hour.
Kevin

Kevin November 24th 04 07:38 AM

Tom Anderson wrote in message ...
On 23 Nov 2004, Kevin wrote:

typical of this country to treat the symptom and not the cause.

Which is what? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

tom

The problem is with the fact that you can't get a taxi after 9pm let
alone midnight unless it is an illegal minicab and if you are a woman
you stand a good chence of getting attacked by the minicab driver.
With taxi drivers (legal) making more than enough money working 9 to 5
they wont work during the night. And Ken Livinstone has done what to
help this situation.
Kevin

Phil Richards November 24th 04 08:13 AM

Kevin wrote:

So your solution would be?

And what about the second hour. My comment was for late running
engineering work, not the fact that between 5.30 and 6.30 the tube is
hardly used.

Late running engineering work would have to be tackled the same way as it
is at present. What we are effectively looking at is having the same
length of time in which to let the engineers do their work as they have
present. In a nutshell it's unacceptable that possessions overrun in the
first place and I would guess as with the TOCs and Network Rail there is
some sort of financial penalty. For the passenger it means they are
delayed in getting to work, just the same as when the system screws
itself up at 8am on a weekday morning for example.

My solution is that people go home earlier.

As long as the bars and clubs are open, people will stay there. They will
find a way home.

I can see this idea causing considerable problems for workers getting
into work for Saturday morning, and travellers with early departures.
It will will boil down to has more clout.

Those with early departures? OK for flights, early long distance trains
coaches etc. then they will have to take in to account these details when
arranging their journey. I've caught Eurostar from Waterloo from
where I live in North London well before the tube opens up. Easy answer,
it's called a Night Bus.

The retail industry having problems getting workers in on Saturday
morning

Of course shops have different opening hours. Most don't open until 9,
many in Central London (including where I work) don't open until 10.
Sundays it's either 10 or 11. You're really trying to say by postponing
the tube start up from 05:30-ish to 06:30-ish will prevent people from
getting to work on time?

What I keep stressing is not gain an hour at the end of the day at the
expense of an hour the next morning twice per week simply because the
engineers need access to the line for every hour of every night. Why
can't we close the system down an hour at the weekend or two later then
re-open the times they currently do the next morning? The engineers etc.
need to adapt, make their operations fit around the service pattern, not
vice-versa.

Paul Weaver November 24th 04 02:09 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:18:58 +0000, umpston wrote:
Yes you are. There is no need for an hour less of useful workers - in
todays "can do" society companies can just change their shifts to match the
tubes. Or helpfully advise their employees to get bikes. Anybody else has
no business to be up at such unearthly hours on the weekend.

A another 9-5 shiftist.

Kevin November 24th 04 02:32 PM

Kevin wrote:

So your solution would be?

And what about the second hour. My comment was for late running
engineering work, not the fact that between 5.30 and 6.30 the tube is
hardly used.

Late running engineering work would have to be tackled the same way as it
is at present. What we are effectively looking at is having the same
length of time in which to let the engineers do their work as they have
present. In a nutshell it's unacceptable that possessions overrun in the
first place and I would guess as with the TOCs and Network Rail there is
some sort of financial penalty. For the passenger it means they are
delayed in getting to work, just the same as when the system screws
itself up at 8am on a weekday morning for example.

Lets face it, they wont be able to prevent overruns. At least at
present, if the service starts an hour late the service does start
before the main peak. If the start is now an hour later and there is
an hour overun it will be a complete f**kup

Those with early departures? OK for flights, early long distance trains
coaches etc. then they will have to take in to account these details when
arranging their journey. I've caught Eurostar from Waterloo from
where I live in North London well before the tube opens up. Easy answer,
it's called a Night Bus.

If I need to get into London for 8am even now it is touch and go if I
will trust the tube. Absolutely zero chance if this comes in. Look out
for far more car usage.

Of course shops have different opening hours. Most don't open until 9,
many in Central London (including where I work) don't open until 10.
Sundays it's either 10 or 11. You're really trying to say by postponing
the tube start up from 05:30-ish to 06:30-ish will prevent people from
getting to work on time?

And shelf stackers, warehouse people. I bet there aren't many shop
workers arrive 5 minutes before opening time.
What I keep stressing is not gain an hour at the end of the day at the
expense of an hour the next morning twice per week simply because the
engineers need access to the line for every hour of every night. Why
can't we close the system down an hour at the weekend or two later then
re-open the times they currently do the next morning? The engineers etc.
need to adapt, make their operations fit around the service pattern, not
vice-versa.

This is all interesting but I will lay odds that the London retail
industry won't put up with it.
Kevin

David FitzGerald November 24th 04 03:00 PM

(Kevin) wrote in message . com...

My solution is that people go home earlier.

Fantasic. Why not take it further... people shouldn't go out at all,
and then we wouldn't need buses or a tube and all the roads would be
empty. Problem solved!

But in all seriousness, if there is a demand for public transport late
at night (even if going out late at night isn't *your* cup of tea)
then it seems only sensible that the demand should be satisfied where
possible.

D.

Phil Richards November 24th 04 04:37 PM

Kevin wrote:

If I need to get into London for 8am even now it is touch and go if I
will trust the tube. Absolutely zero chance if this comes in. Look out
for far more car usage.

What day of the week are we talking about? Sunday, possibly you might not
be arrive in Central London from the furthest parts of the Tube. Other
days of the week should be no problem.

And shelf stackers, warehouse people. I bet there aren't many shop
workers arrive 5 minutes before opening time.

Like the transport industry staff work round the clock including nights.

This is all interesting but I will lay odds that the London retail
industry won't put up with it.

Only if the retail industry starts to loose customers through the door
and money in the till. That's not likely to happen because of the plans
to the revised tube operations. The staff employed to start early (or
finish late) will find their way in to work some way (Night buses for
example) if Tube travel is impossible. Otherwise they'll leave and seek
work elsewhere.

--
Phil Richards
Stroud Green, London

Mrs Redboots November 24th 04 05:06 PM

Kevin wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 24 Nov 2004:

Lets face it, they wont be able to prevent overruns. At least at
present, if the service starts an hour late the service does start
before the main peak. If the start is now an hour later and there is
an hour overun it will be a complete f**kup

But *is* there a main peak on a Saturday or Sunday morning? AIUI, this
proposal is for Friday and Saturday nights, not Sunday nights.

If I need to get into London for 8am even now it is touch and go if I
will trust the tube. Absolutely zero chance if this comes in. Look out
for far more car usage.

Again, how often do you need to be in London at 8.00 am on a Saturday or
Sunday?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Malcolm & Nika November 24th 04 05:38 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

1) 52 days off isnt for drivers as asked above. Station staff only. And its
actually payback for hours worked. (In arrears and if you are off sick they
dont accumulate so you get less time off). As it should be.
2) 4 day week is off the agenda - it wont happen.
3) Anyone want to come down on the tube for the after midnight travellers is
more than welcome. Just buy a ticket and stand at the gates at
say...Brixton. Its not a petty site.
5) No amount of money compensates for the spit, vomit, excrement, abuse. It
does however make it easier to cope with as it buys a lifestyle.
6) No....(i know what most are thinking). Why should tube staff be forced to
leave a job just because a minority of the travelling public cant behave.
Try shouting/spitting at your pub bouncer.....
7) Why cant we be like other city transit/metros. No eating or drinking
while travelling. Opps forgot, no one to enforce it.
8) Suprisingly they get lots of support when on industrial action. Really.
Honest. They do.
9) Just cos the BBC says they have half the population wanting to use the
tube at 2am dont mean its correct. Didnt they say something about Iraq...or
a scientist once.
10) I think Saturday nights/Sunday mornings are a bit quiet when it comes to
the PPP boys and overnight engineering works. An hour extra here probably
wouldnt hurt a great deal. (Sorry T/Ops...its a bit of give and take)!
11) All the lines have night shift T/Ops already, the frequency of the
service at that hour extra probably wouldn't require a huge increase in
T/Ops on duty....Station staff are another story...minimum requirement for
manning and all that.
12) There is no number 12

Mal....

Fustanella November 24th 04 06:22 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

1)

The 12 points you gave in reply to me don't seem to touch on my
question. Could you narrow 'em down, please? Thanks.

Chris November 24th 04 07:06 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"redtube" wrote in message ...
"Chris" wrote in message
om...
I thought it was in the bye-laws that you can't be intoxicated and
travel on the tube

er interesting concept but not likely to be true otherwise there would be
nobody on the trains after midnight!

"4. Intoxication and possession of intoxicating liquor
(1) No person in a state of intoxication shall enter or remain on the
railway.
(2) Where reasonable notice is, or has been given prohibiting
intoxicating liquor on any train service, no person shall have any
intoxicating liquor with him on it, or attempt to enter such train
with intoxicating liquor with him.
(3) Where an authorised person reasonably believes that any person is
in a state of intoxication or has with him intoxicating liquor
contrary to this Byelaw, the authorised person may:
(i) require him to leave the railway; and
(ii) prevent him entering or remaining on the railway until the
authorised person is satisfied that he has no intoxicating liquor with
him. "

From http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/about/byelaw.asp

From my experience, most staff of leisure places open beyond midnight
get a taxi paid for by their place of work so most of the travellers
are revellers and most are drunk

Tom Anderson November 24th 04 07:41 PM

redtube wrote:

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said.

What decent people travel home at that hour anyway?

Me. I have an experiment to do at midnight tonight.

tom

--
Understand the world we're living in

Tom Anderson November 24th 04 07:48 PM

On 23 Nov 2004, Kevin wrote:

typical of this country to treat the symptom and not the cause.

Which is what? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

The problem is with the fact that you can't get a taxi after 9pm let
alone midnight unless it is an illegal minicab and if you are a woman
you stand a good chence of getting attacked by the minicab driver. With
taxi drivers (legal) making more than enough money working 9 to 5 they
wont work during the night. And Ken Livinstone has done what to help
this situation.

I think we have another problem here, which is that YOU ARE INSANE.

The real problem is most definitely *not* that i can't get a taxi home. I
don't want to get a taxi home! I want cheap, simple public transport home!
I don't want to stick a tenner in some fat, racist, cyclist-murdering
arsehole's pocket just so i can sleep in my own bed!

The real cause is that our tube system requires far too much maintenance;
the solution is to replace or renew the entire thing, with good-quality,
well-designed tracks, trains and signals, and with enough redundancy that
parts can be taken out of service without shutting the whole thing down
(either New-York-style quadruple tubes, triple tubes, or some way of
closing one of the pair of tubes and wrong-railing the trains past it).
Sadly, this would cost about 2 to 2.5 hojillion pounds, so we can't do it.
Therefore, we resort to palliative care, viz later tube opening.

tom

ps No offence, Mr Hughes!

--
Understand the world we're living in

Tom Anderson November 24th 04 08:01 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Phil Richards wrote:

Why can't we close the system down an hour at the weekend or two later
then re-open the times they currently do the next morning? The engineers
etc. need to adapt, make their operations fit around the service
pattern, not vice-versa.

Exactly! And let's have daily status reports until the situation improves!
And why not halve the costs while they're at it!

I don't want to take time away from the engineers - i want to have a tube
network that runs safely and efficiently, and that means giving them
everything they need to do their job, which includes time.

Which said, as someone mentioned, they aren't making much use of the
saturday/sunday shutdown, so let's see if we can wring a couple of hours
out of that.

What if the overnight possessions could be done in a more focused way?
Rather than closing every line for five hours (or however long it is)
every night, close a couple of lines every night, perhaps even for a bit
longer, and stuff them to the gills with navvies to make the most of it.
That way, people could use the admirable flexibility of the tube network
to get around. A halfway house would be to close every line only from 0300
to 0500, to give the engineers time do basic stuff like walking the line,
replacing those clip things that always break, picking up bits of trains
that have fallen off, etc, and to have one night a week on each line of
closing at 2300, to do the real work. If you ignore the W&C, which closes
all sunday anyway, and the circle, which closes whenever another
subsurface line closes, there are ten lines - you could close two each
school night, and have friday and saturday nights closure-free. Would that
be enough time to do what needs to be done?

tom

--
Understand the world we're living in

Tom Anderson November 24th 04 08:02 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Malcolm & Nika wrote:

1)

I'd just like to say that i STRONGLY APPROVE of posts in point form. Well
done that man!

tom

--
Understand the world we're living in

redtube November 24th 04 09:40 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:29:45 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:
It most likely is just station staff, given drivers want a Oh...And £35k+

a year for doing so.
Barry

This 32 hour, 4 day week business is made up nonesense - BY A TROLL. I've
never heard of such a proposal and i'm in ASLEF - ok agreed there is
'discussion' banded around over whether to go for a 4 day week merely as a
suggestion to give more family condusive time off but that doesnt mean less
hours into the bargain, it means a different arrangement of the existing
agreements i.e., 156 hrs per month spread over a longer working day
actually, my son! Also whats this crap you go on about - 35k+ a year? - not
even worth a comment

Alek November 24th 04 11:26 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

And your POINT is...????

Dave Liney November 25th 04 06:26 AM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"David FitzGerald" wrote in message
om...
(Kevin) wrote in message
. com...

My solution is that people go home earlier.

Fantasic. Why not take it further... people shouldn't go out at all,
and then we wouldn't need buses or a tube and all the roads would be
empty. Problem solved!

But in all seriousness, if there is a demand for public transport late
at night (even if going out late at night isn't *your* cup of tea)
then it seems only sensible that the demand should be satisfied where
possible.

There is a demand for public transport late at night and there are Night
Buses to meet this demand. In the small hours the roads are almost empty
(well maybe not Charing Cross Road) and the buses fly along. I remember
getting from Putney to King's Cross at 3am in a ridiculously quick time;
faster than the tube would have managed it.

Crossing from north to south (and equivalents) used to mean a change of bus
but since almost all of them went to Trafalgar Square that wasn't such a
problem. Out of interest now that is no longer the case are such journeys
harder or easier to make? Since moving out of London I've stopped having to
do it.

Dave

Dave Arquati November 25th 04 11:02 AM

Dave Liney wrote:
"David FitzGerald" wrote in message
om...

(Kevin) wrote in message
e.com...

[...]

There are more night or 24-hour routes since the congestion charge
improvements came in, so I'd say easier. It does depend how far you're
going. You have routes like the N74 (Roehampton - Putney), N28
(Wandsworth - Camden Town) and N31 (Clapham Junction - Kilburn) which
cross the centre without terminating.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Sir Benjamin Nunn November 25th 04 01:54 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"LarryLard" wrote in message
om...
"Richard J." wrote in message
o.uk...
BBC news report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4031397.stm

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said. The
last Tube would run at 1.30am, but [the Tube] would not start running
until an hour later the next day to allow time for maintenance work.

TfL will consult Tube users, businesses and workers about the plans over
the coming months. If approved, services would be extended by the end of
2006."

Something makes me suspect that wannabe-late-night-tube-users will be
more vocal during the consultation period than
already-early-morning-tube-users, and we will end up with an hour more
of ****ed people and an hour less of useful workers, but that's just
me being cynical I guess.

What about people who've been out on Saturday, but whose trains (or ****ing
replacement coaches) arrive late back into London?

All the operators are guilty, but thinking specifically of Virgin Trains
West Coast mainline, it is not unlikely for trains from Glasgow, Liverpool
etc. to be delayed by more than an hour or two throughout the course of
their journey?

The /last/ thing I want to do when I've been travelling for about six hours
is to have to extended my journey further via a combination of night buses
to get to my destination.

BTN

Dave Liney November 25th 04 02:56 PM

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message

What about people who've been out on Saturday, but whose trains (or
****ing replacement coaches) arrive late back into London?

All the operators are guilty, but thinking specifically of Virgin Trains
West Coast mainline, it is not unlikely for trains from Glasgow, Liverpool
etc. to be delayed by more than an hour or two throughout the course of
their journey?

The /last/ thing I want to do when I've been travelling for about six
hours is to have to extended my journey further via a combination of night
buses to get to my destination.

When I was delayed by 1.5 hours coming into Euston on the last train and so
had missed the last tube Virgin paid for a taxi back to Clapham for me. I
thought that was standard.

Dave

Chris November 25th 04 06:22 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

What about people who've been out on Saturday, but whose trains (or ****ing
replacement coaches) arrive late back into London?

All the operators are guilty, but thinking specifically of Virgin Trains
West Coast mainline, it is not unlikely for trains from Glasgow, Liverpool
etc. to be delayed by more than an hour or two throughout the course of
their journey?

The /last/ thing I want to do when I've been travelling for about six hours
is to have to extended my journey further via a combination of night buses
to get to my destination.

BTN

So I presume you are for the extended openning then?

Dave Arquati November 25th 04 07:48 PM

redtube wrote:
What decent people travel home at that hour anyway?

A large number of revellers who support the central London economy and
therefore London Underground jobs?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

UM Pston November 26th 04 12:08 AM

Paul Weaver wrote in message ...
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:18:58 +0000, umpston wrote:
Yes you are. There is no need for an hour less of useful workers - in
todays "can do" society companies can just change their shifts to match the
tubes. Or helpfully advise their employees to get bikes. Anybody else has
no business to be up at such unearthly hours on the weekend.

A another 9-5 shiftist.

No. I work when I feel like it, whether it be 10-6 or 7-3. I'd
recommend the same for anybody.