Old November 28th 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

Default FGW Link excels even Thames Strains at public safety (lack of ...)

.... at putting hundreds at risk.

The 11.53 today (Sunday) ex-Hayes to Paddington FGWL strain arrived -
well eventually - fully 25 minutes late - but packed to the gunnels.
It was a three car unit - the rear car was completely locked out of
use. This meant that EVERYONE had to pack into the two forward cars.
We left after a ten minute squeeze into an already jammed train. We
stopped at Southall where even more tried to get on board - most
failed - most were left behind - they'd waited an hour. By this time
you'd have thought that an apology was due from the driver - but NONE
was made. We endured the most appalling cattle truck conditions -
babies and mothers, the elderly, hundreds of others - until Ealing -
where there was a gigantic squash for some to disembark, and many more
embark. Again this took about 10 minutes. We arrived at Paddington
almost an HOUR late. Again no apology - no-one to complain to - no
apology from the driver. As someone remarked is this really 2004. God
help us when they reduce the local service even further in December to
make way for more over-priced HEX services. (I use the word 'service'
with complete sarcasm - FGWL wouldn't know what a service was).

SB

Old November 28th 04, 03:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"S.Byers" wrote in message
om...

... at putting hundreds at risk.

surely they put themselves at risk by attempting to get into an already full
train. Indeed those getting on at Southall exacerbated the situation and
put "babies and mothers, the elderly, hundreds of others" at even greater
risk by squeezing in. Would an apology from the driver have magically
conjured up another three cars?

Al

Old November 28th 04, 06:00 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london, uk.local.london

Huge wrote:
(S.Byers) writes:
The 11.53 today (Sunday) ex-Hayes to Paddington FGWL strain arrived

-
well eventually - fully 25 minutes late - but packed to the gunnels.

It's "gunwhales", BTW.

actually, it's "gunwales".

CC

Old November 28th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"S.Byers" wrote in message
[...]

FGWL, hmmmn. I love the way they launched the service proclaiming that they
were going to be so much better than Thames Trains when I, as a daily
commuter between Ealing Broadway and Paddington, have seen the service
reduced to ridiculously poor levels. I see on-board posters "boasting" of
improved services - I'm not quite sure how they worked that out; more than a
little bit of wishful thinking..

Lately there have been on-board posters stating "no-one likes a dirty train"
and talks about how they are deep cleaning all of the trains. This would be
a great idea if they could actually get the basics of running a train
company correct in the first place - i.e. an efficient on-time service..

Surely the majority of the staff are the same now as when they were Thames
Trains so what has happened...?

The new timetable launches on 12th December - if this makes things better
than they are now then they will proclaim that as a great success story. In
my opinion, things would have to greatly improve to even be on par with the
service offered by Thames Trains this time last year.

Regarding the new timetable, has anyone noticed that they claim the new
timetable will make more space on the track for a new stopping service
between Paddington and Heathrow BUT that this will not be introduced until
Spring '05... great so from December 12 to "Spring '05" are we going to be
running at an even lower capacity than normal?

Anyway, moaning over, except to say that I think we should start a campaign
to ban them from using the word "great" in their company name.

--
Ant May

Old November 28th 04, 08:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"Huge" wrote in message
(S.Byers) writes:
.... at putting hundreds at risk.

The 11.53 today (Sunday) ex-Hayes to Paddington FGWL strain arrived -
well eventually - fully 25 minutes late - but packed to the gunnels.

It's "gunwhales", BTW.

Actually it isn't - it's gunwales. No 'h'.

Old November 28th 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

In article ,
Ant May wrote:

Regarding the new timetable, has anyone noticed that they claim the new
timetable will make more space on the track for a new stopping service
between Paddington and Heathrow BUT that this will not be introduced
until Spring '05... great so from December 12 to "Spring '05" are we
going to be running at an even lower capacity than normal?

The half hourly Paddington-Heathrow service will run from 12 December but
only as far as Hayes, and will be worked by Class 165s. It will be
extended from Hayes to Heathrow next Spring when the first four 360/2
Desiros are available. The first of these units is already at Old Oak
Common. Other services will also be strengthened after 12 December, with
more trains formed of two 165/166s instead of one providing more seats.

David

Old November 28th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"Ant May" wrote in message

Regarding the new timetable, has anyone noticed that they claim the new
timetable will make more space on the track for a new stopping service
between Paddington and Heathrow BUT that this will not be introduced until
Spring '05... great so from December 12 to "Spring '05" are we going to be
running at an even lower capacity than normal?

Until the new trains for the stopping service to Heathrow are available,
FGWL will operate Paddington - Hayes & Harlington trains in the paths set
aside for the new service. From 12 December they should be able to alleviate
some of the overcrowding, as Adelantes will take over some journeys from
Thames Turbo (mainly Oxford and Worcester services), and Chiltern are taking
over the Stratford-upon-Avon service, so FGWL will not run north of Banbury.

Peter

Old November 28th 04, 11:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

(S.Byers) wrote in message . com...
[...]

You should try to get a refund outta the buggers.