Old December 7th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oh dear.....I'm sure it wont happen.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong but it says: "after six months of
negotiations failed to resolve a four-year dispute"....

Like you, I am not involved in the nitty gritty, but if thats true how much
diplomacy is the right amount?

"d" wrote in message
. uk...
How about they try good ol' diplomacy? Instead, they act selfishly, and
screw over the public. Repeatedly. Am I the only person who finds this
disgusting?

I'm all for unions. I've seen how they can get workers the rewards they
deserve. I've also seen how they get greedy and take more. I'd hate to
think the RMT is the second type, but with more and more industrial action
threats flying about, it's getting harder to think otherwise.

d.

Old December 7th 04, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

Judging by the amount of industrial action by this union compared to other
unions, it makes you wonder...

I'm just saying it doesn't look good to people. The same people who have to
endure the strikes.

Old December 7th 04, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

Exactly - it wouldn't affect you. It would affect the company, though.
That's the beauty. Why should we suffer over a dispute between two other,
seperate entities? It just strikes me as madness.

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
news
In article , d
writes
DECEMBER 6: LONDON UNDERGROUND's biggest union is to ballot more than
330
signallers and line controllers for strike action

[...]
For public transport, they sure do hate the public. This really, really
annoys me. I'm so fed up of being a pawn in this stupid game between the
RMT and LUL. Why do they close the service?

What other options do signallers and line controllers have?

Don't they care that us, the
people who pay their wages, are getting our lives screwed up on an
increasingly regular basis?

I suspect they care more - assuming the report is true - that *their*
lives are about to be screwed up by less pay and longer hours.

If they really DO care about the public, the union workers should strike
like they do in Dublin. In Dublin, during industrial action, public
transport workers stop charging people fares.

Signallers and line controllers don't have anything to do with fare
collection. If those staff who do collect fares got involved, they'd be
breaking the laws about unions.

The company gets a financial
wake-up call, AND it's a gift to the very public they're supposedly trying
to serve.

Since I have an annual season ticket, it doesn't affect me. It won't
affect the vast majority of regular travellers, just those who would only
travel if they don't have to pay.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old December 7th 04, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Since I have an annual season ticket, it doesn't affect me. It won't
affect the vast majority of regular travellers, just those who would
only travel if they don't have to pay.

Eh? If you have an annual season ticket, you may not lose out
financially but you will certainly pay in time and inconvenience if your
regular service doesn't run. It may well affect the ability of some
workers to earn overtime if their commuting journeys take longer. I'm
sure there are also many people who use the Tube for non-leisure
purposes but who do not have the same journey every day. They *will* be
affected, and it may reduce their income or increase their costs if
they're self-employed.

--
Richard J.

Old December 7th 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Generally speaking, in the past any strike action has cost more to the
employee in pay lost than they recoup from an increase in wages. So perhaps
they do it because they have a principle to adhere to.

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...

Old December 7th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Malcolm & Nika wrote:
Generally speaking, in the past any strike action has cost more to
the employee in pay lost than they recoup from an increase in
wages. So perhaps they do it because they have a principle to
adhere to.

That's true of a few maybe. The rest strike because they couldn't be
bothered to vote in the ballot. I can never understand why so few union
members vote when, as you say, they stand to lose more than they gain.
I hope the signallers and line controllers actually vote this time.
--
Richard J.

Old December 8th 04, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Actually its neither of those. Life isnt quite so simple as an A or B
response.

Oh I think it is in this case. The RMT have seen an opportunity to
screw LU because its xmas time and
they know it'll be bad public relations to have a strike then.

it another. I am sure some discussion will see it all blow over and it

will
all be a big misunderstanding.

What , like all the others? Dream on.

Perhaps the LU management and staff are much more in touch with good
industrial relations and negotiation than you think.

LU management might be , but the RMT woudln't know good industrial
relations
if it was served up on a plate in front of them with a large
explanatory notice written
in crayon.

B2003

Old December 8th 04, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

What other options do signallers and line controllers have?

Perhaps they could just get on with the jobs they're damn well paid to
do and
knew the conditions for before they signed up. You know, like most
other working people
in this country do? Or are RMT members exempt from working to a signed
contract?

I suspect they care more - assuming the report is true - that *their*
lives are about to be screwed up by less pay and longer hours.

Ok , lets do this in simple english for the people who can't grasp
simple working law.
They will have signed a contract when they joined LU. If the contract
doesn't allow LU
to change their working conditions then they can take LU to court (and
the fact that they
haven't done so in apparently 6 months says it all). If the contract
DOES allow it then
thats just tough luck, they can either put up or shut up and if they
don't like it they
can eff off and get a job elsewhere. McDonalds always has vacancies.
B2003

Old December 8th 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

All these people are highly skilled proffesionals (that should get you
going!). LUL want to change something, control centre staff are happy for
that to happen. Its just a case of both getting what they want.

oups.com...

Old December 10th 04, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Richard
J. writes
Since I have an annual season ticket, it doesn't affect me. It won't
affect the vast majority of regular travellers, just those who would
only travel if they don't have to pay.

Eh? If you have an annual season ticket, you may not lose out
financially but you will certainly pay in time and inconvenience if your
regular service doesn't run.

You missed the point. The previous post said that a ticket-checking
embargo would benefit passengers. It will *not* benefit the vast
majority of regular travellers, just those who pay per journey (and
therefore might well not have travelled if the embargo wasn't
happening).

Yes, an actual strike (of signallers, in this case) will affect me
adversely. However, if it's justified (something I don't have enough
information to determine), then I will grin and bear it.

[Older readers may wish to note my name.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: