Old December 9th 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default mingle with cyclists

David Splett wrote:
"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Now, how you can read into this that I think *all* cyclists
don't realise this is quite beyond me.

Point missed or otherwise, one gets the impression that your
judgement might be being clouded by an anti-cycling bias. I hope
this is not the case.

It would be fairer, surely, to say that Mrs R's views were influenced by
her experience. I have certainly been subjected as a pedestrian to more
near misses from cyclists when I had right of way on the carriageway
than from car drivers. That doesn't mean that I'm "anti-cycling" or
"pro-cars".
--
Richard J.

Old December 10th 04, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...

It would be fairer, surely, to say that Mrs R's views were influenced by
her experience. I have certainly been subjected as a pedestrian to more
near misses from cyclists when I had right of way on the carriageway
than from car drivers. That doesn't mean that I'm "anti-cycling" or
"pro-cars".

I have much the same view, but I was taught the difference, on another
group, between cyclists and people-on-bikes. Cyclists are, in the main,
sensible road-users, whereas it is the POB who ride on the pavement, jump
red lights etc.

What category, I wonder, would we put cycle couriers in? In my experience,
they are some of the worst offenders.

Ian

Old December 10th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
I have much the same view, but I was taught the difference, on another
group, between cyclists and people-on-bikes. Cyclists are, in the main,
sensible road-users, whereas it is the POB who ride on the pavement, jump
red lights etc.

From the point of view of a pedestrian who's just had a near miss,
I would imagine the distinction is moot.

Besides, some of the most blatant offenders I have seen have very
much been cyclists rather than people-on-bikes.

Although to be fair as regards the "almost hit by a bike" issue,
in quite a few cases it seems pedestrians only look or listen for
motor vehicles before stepping into the road, ignoring the bicycle
hurtling towards them.

What category, I wonder, would we put cycle couriers in? In my experience,
they are some of the worst offenders.

Some of them are.

Pete.
Old December 10th 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 9 Dec 2004:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Now, how you can read into this that I think *all* cyclists
don't realise this is quite beyond me.

Point missed or otherwise, one gets the impression that your judgement might
be being clouded by an anti-cycling bias. I hope this is not the case.

Why is it anti-cycling to suggest that not all cyclists obey the Highway
Code?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 10th 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots typed

Why is it anti-cycling to suggest that not all cyclists obey the Highway
Code?

It isn't. Suggesting that such behaviour is representative of cyclists
in general is.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old December 10th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
It would be fairer, surely, to say that Mrs R's views were influenced by
her experience.

Perhaps, but I don't see the need to bring up the subject every time cycling
is mentioned. I'm sure this is not the first time, but perhaps a search on
Google will prove me wrong.

I have certainly been subjected as a pedestrian to more
near misses from cyclists when I had right of way on the carriageway
than from car drivers. That doesn't mean that I'm "anti-cycling" or
"pro-cars".

Yes, and I've had many times when pedestrians have stepped across the road
in front of me whilst cycling, both at pedestrian crossings (against a red
man) and elsewhere. In fact, it happens *every* morning on one particular
crossing at King's Cross. If it happened in the wrong place and I wasn't
doing the thinking of others as well as myself, I'd be flying through the
air at (potentially) 30+mi/h, and well on my way to death, or at least being
permanently brain-damaged or bound to a wheelchair.

AFAIAC, the issue is that we have a small minority of people (possibly more
than a minority in London, which is probably why I now seek to minimize the
amount of time I spend there) who cause trouble in everything they do, be it
when walking, cycling, driving a car, travelling by train, or whatever.
Society would do far better to target this group of people, rather than
making false generalizations based on meaningless labels.

Rant ends.

Old December 11th 04, 12:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote:

AFAIAC, the issue is that we have a small minority of people
(possibly more than a minority in London, which is probably why I
now seek to minimize the amount of time I spend there) who cause
trouble in everything they do, be it when walking, cycling, driving
a car, travelling by train, or whatever. Society would do far
better to target this group of people, rather than making false
generalizations based on meaningless labels.

"This group of people"? Are you suggesting that it's the same people
who cause trouble in all modes of trsnsport? Seems unlikely to me. I
would guess there is perhaps a small minority who are arrogant and
selfish at any time, some who are a menace in one role, and many others
(me included if I'm honest) who occasionally lose their cool and common
sense when provoked or in a bad mood. I'm not clear how "society"
should target all these people.
--
Richard J.

Old December 11th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 10 Dec 2004:

Mrs Redboots typed

Why is it anti-cycling to suggest that not all cyclists obey the Highway
Code?

It isn't. Suggesting that such behaviour is representative of cyclists
in general is.

I didn't. Suggest that, I mean.

Old December 11th 04, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 10 Dec 2004:

Mrs Redboots typed

Why is it anti-cycling to suggest that not all cyclists obey the Highway
Code?

It isn't. Suggesting that such behaviour is representative of cyclists
in general is.

I didn't. Suggest that, I mean.

I know you didn't but some could read it that way.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old December 11th 04, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Huge)typed

I didn't. Suggest that, I mean.

I know you didn't but some could read it that way.

FX: Waves.

)

waves Season's Greetings...

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

Should cyclists be kissing the ass of drivers for using their roads? Clive London Transport 4 August 25th 10 09:08 PM
Cyclists allowed to run red lights? Graculus London Transport 298 April 21st 09 03:13 PM
CYCLISTS THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO GET INJURED ON BENDY BUS ROUTE- POPE Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 50 June 18th 07 11:16 PM
Fascist cyclists d London Transport 90 February 6th 06 07:02 AM
Crash Suit for Cyclists puppyluv2 London Transport 0 December 19th 05 09:01 AM