Old December 19th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Old tramway visible in Streatham

Hi all,

An anonymous person sent me the following.

++++++++++++++++++
The old tram depot building at Brixton Hill, just north of the junction with
Christchurch Road still survives. From the signage on the front, it seems
like it is still owned by one of the bus operating companies, but not as a
depot. Anyway, some erosion or works on the tarmac surface of their access
has uncovered some of the original tramline, including what appears to be
pointwork, and the cobbles it was set into. (This isn't the current
Streatham Garage site BTW - that's a few hundred metres south, on the other
side of the South Circular junction).

It isn't more than a few metres worth of track - more or less confined in
the area from the back of footway to building line, but I was surprised to
see it. Subsequent amendments to the kerbs (and alignment?) of the main
road make the tramline layout look a little odd in the current setting (it
doesn't quite line up with the footway crossover as it currently exists, and
there may have been some alteration to the building frontage too).

The building is in the lower left corner of the central square of
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...173509&A=Y&Z=1 but
the resolution on the linked photo isn't good enough to show anything
interesting.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 20th 04, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The rails were visible at the Norwood depot for a while a few years
ago, until the entrance was resurfaced.

During construction of Croydon Tramlink various short lengths of old
street rail were dug up, but these didn't seem to be where trams had
previously run, and some were running across the street, so I assume
they were old scrap rails which had been used for some other purpose;
to strengthen the road where it passed over something like a sewer
maybe?

The rails, and conduit, are still in place on the ramp of the old
Kingsway subway of course.

I suspect that there's still quite a bit of old rail covered up in
various places. Does anyone know of any more.

Old December 20th 04, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 19 Dec 2004:

[...]

It belongs to Arriva and I think it is used to store surplus buses
overnight. Until quite recently it was in private hands and was used as
a repair garage - I'm told that Royal vehicles were often sent there for
service, as the corrugated doors at the front are/were bomb-proof, and
the person who ran it had a high security clearance.

I must say it's a wonderful building, and I always enjoy going past in
the early morning when the doors are open, and seeing the tram-lines
still in existence inside!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 20th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Fulwell still had tram track at the entrance a few years ago. Don't
know if its still there though

Neill

Old December 20th 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neillw001" wrote in message
oups.com

Fulwell still had tram track at the entrance a few years ago. Don't
know if its still there though

Neill

I was lamenting the disappearance of these very tracks only a couple of
weeks ago, they disappeared within the last month.

Old December 20th 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ilgate.org,
(Troy Steadman) wrote:

"Neillw001" wrote in message
oups.com

Fulwell still had tram track at the entrance a few years ago. Don't
know if its still there though

I was lamenting the disappearance of these very tracks only a couple of
weeks ago, they disappeared within the last month.

Dug up and removed or just covered over?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Kingsway Tramway Peter Smyth London Transport 30 October 15th 09 10:43 AM
[OT?] Building visible from the Heathrow Express Gnomo London Transport 9 May 4th 05 09:35 AM
Old tramroutes, Streatham CharlesPottins London Transport 0 December 23rd 04 08:08 PM
London Tramway - Does anybody know persons to present the idea Mathias Boelckow London Transport 8 February 3rd 04 01:40 PM
District Line tunnel visible in building site on north side of Victoria Street John Rowland London Transport 1 January 31st 04 12:03 AM