Old January 3rd 05, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default No Photocard !

I bought my new weekly ticket today and was told
I no longer needed a photocard.

Now U turns on such issues always fascinate me.

Are they admitting there never were whole families using
the same ticket for all their travel ? That there was no point
to making us all carry photo cards for all those years ?

Plus the photocard was always cited as evidence that we
don't mind carrying photo ID cards. So is this another nail
in the coffin of ID cards ?

I'd love to know the TFL inside line of this ??

--
Edward Cowling - London - UK

Old January 3rd 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:58:42 GMT, "Edward Cowling"
wrote:

I bought my new weekly ticket today and was told
I no longer needed a photocard.

Now U turns on such issues always fascinate me.

Are they admitting there never were whole families using
the same ticket for all their travel ? That there was no point
to making us all carry photo cards for all those years ?

Plus the photocard was always cited as evidence that we
don't mind carrying photo ID cards. So is this another nail
in the coffin of ID cards ?

I'd love to know the TFL inside line of this ??

I suppose it would depend on the actual official reasoning behind
having photocards for period Travelcards in the past. Obviously there
is the issue about someone lending their TC to someone else to use,
but I would have thought it was more to do with identifying the
(ab)users of lost/stolen cards. How easy was it to cancel a single
paper/plastic TC previously? Was it possible at all? With Oyster it
is definitely possible to disable a single card, so I suspect the
reasoning is that a lost/stolen card won't be much use to the
finder/thief for very long.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old January 3rd 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I suppose it would depend on the actual official reasoning behind
having photocards for period Travelcards in the past. Obviously there
is the issue about someone lending their TC to someone else to use,

They are so rarely checked in any case. I think only once last year was I
asked for the photocard, I was so surprised I almost became deaf to the
sound of the connecting door slamming as those wth no tickets escaped his
attention. Still, he was sure everyone who produced a season ticket had a
valid photocard, that's the main thing...

You still need a photocard for National Rail, but I see TfL are now
producing a combined Oyster/photocard with a picture and name on the front
of it, looks very much like an ID card to me -
http://www.atoc.org/traveltrade/news...8_25_12_04.pdf - most odd
though, since elsewhere in that newsletter it mentions photocards with
Oyster are no longer needed?!

Regards,
Dave