London Banter

-   -   LUL Drivers Work to Rule (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2607-lul-drivers-work-rule.html)

[email protected] January 4th 05 12:26 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

I see that LUL drivers are not signing on at Earl's Court due to
inadequate facilities. No squash courts presumabley.

Kevin

Boltar January 4th 05 04:36 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

wrote:
I see that LUL drivers are not signing on at Earl's Court due to
inadequate facilities. No squash courts presumabley.

:o)

Is anyone seriously surprised though? Any excuse to do less work and
the
drivers will use it. Presumably the only reason they haven't gone on
strike is
because they need to pay off the xmas credit card bills. Wonder how
long before
theres a walkout because theres no one on standby to wipe their arse
for them in
the toilets.

B2003

Brimstone January 4th 05 07:05 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I see that LUL drivers are not signing on at Earl's Court due to
inadequate facilities. No squash courts presumabley.

:o)

Is anyone seriously surprised though? Any excuse to do less work and
the
drivers will use it. Presumably the only reason they haven't gone on
strike is
because they need to pay off the xmas credit card bills. Wonder how
long before
theres a walkout because theres no one on standby to wipe their arse
for them in
the toilets.

"Boltar slags off drivers again over .. (click) Boltar slags off drivers
again over .. (click) Boltar slags off drivers again over .. (click) Boltar

Boltar January 6th 05 09:27 AM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

Brimstone wrote:
[...]

In case you hadn't noticed I didn't start the thread. Besides , those
muppets
with their endless pay deals are partly responsible for the outrageous
fare
rises on the tube this year so why shouldn't I slag them off? They're
costing
me and every other tube user more money.

B2003

General Von Clinkerhoffen January 17th 05 12:01 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

If you worked at say Tesco Basingstoke, and you were asked to work at
Tesco Newbury, but you would only finish work when you got back to Tesco
Basingstoke, what would your reaction be?

Paul Weaver January 17th 05 07:19 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:01:21 +0000, General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote:

If you worked at say Tesco Basingstoke, and you were asked to work at
Tesco Newbury, but you would only finish work when you got back to Tesco
Basingstoke, what would your reaction be?

Assuming that you get free travel between the two places, and paid for
my time, I'd quietly question the competency of management and get on with
my job.

Of course that would never happen in the private sector as it would be a
waste of money.
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

General Von Clinkerhoffen January 18th 05 10:38 AM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

Ahhh you hit the nail on the head with the phrase "paid for my time" the
district drivers Don't get paid for their time, travelling from Acton to
Earls Court, that is all they want either to be paid for the time from
Acton as they used to be, or to have ALL duties booking on at Acton
Town, not too much to ask, is it?

Dave Liney January 20th 05 11:50 AM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

"Huge" wrote in message
"Dave Liney" writes:

[30 lines snipped]

Q: Why is bottom-posting such a bad thing?
A: Because it messes up the natural flow of a conversation

So, you have your conversations back to front, do you? Must make
jokes a bit dull, getting the punch-line first.

No but I don't usually have the entire conversation repeated from the
beginning before adding to it. In fact the bit you snipped I thought made
the point but apparently this is a matter you take far too seriously.

Dave.

Brimstone January 23rd 05 11:22 AM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote:
NO I will continue to top post, it's bloody annoying having to scroll
down to find the 2 new lines posted, if you don't like it TOUGH.

You poor soul, we really feel for you.

Have you considered the people who have difficulty reading and use a gadget
that reads the posts out loud for them? It means they get a conversation
"upside down".

Paul Weaver January 23rd 05 12:38 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:45:16 +0000, Robin Mayes wrote:

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:38:33 +0000, General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote:

Seems to me you should talk to your manager about your contract. Demand
either logical clocking on opportunities, or compensatory pay. If they say
no, hand in your notice and seek employment elsewhere.

Great idea, so instead of a few delays until this is resolved people using
the line have to use only a limited number of trains (60%?) for six months
or so! Don't forget those who teach people to drive trains are actually
train driver themselves!

And that's relevent because...?

If you dont like your job, and you cant agree on a better deal, then seek
employment elsewhere. Doesn't matter if you're a shop worker, train
driver, or prime minister.
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Paul Weaver January 23rd 05 12:39 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:52:18 +0000, General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote:

Nothing is more likely to make me top post than complaining about it,
but now I digress.

The union HAVE been talking to the management, for 2 years, and have got
no where, this action is the last resort.

"The union" *spit*

Dont you have the balls to talk to your own manager?

If you dont like your job, hand in your notice and leave. It's not hard.

Paul Weaver January 23rd 05 12:43 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:50:27 +0000, Dave Liney wrote:

"Huge" wrote in message
"Dave Liney" writes:

[30 lines snipped]

Q: Why is bottom-posting such a bad thing?
A: Because it messes up the natural flow of a conversation

So, you have your conversations back to front, do you? Must make
jokes a bit dull, getting the punch-line first.

No but I don't usually have the entire conversation repeated from the
beginning before adding to it. In fact the bit you snipped I thought made
the point but apparently this is a matter you take far too seriously.

But surely your usenet client colours different levels of quoteing in
different colours, or allows you to collapse quote blocks. I can easilly
see the latest addition to the thread, while simultaneously reading
context should I need to be.
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Robin Mayes January 23rd 05 02:32 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
.. .

Great idea, so instead of a few delays until this is resolved people

using
the line have to use only a limited number of trains (60%?) for six

months
or so! Don't forget those who teach people to drive trains are actually
train driver themselves!

And that's relevent because...?

If you dont like your job, and you cant agree on a better deal, then seek
employment elsewhere. Doesn't matter if you're a shop worker, train
driver, or prime minister.
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as

fact.

Cut off your nose to spite your face is the phrase that immediately comes to
mind.

Brimstone January 23rd 05 02:48 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

Paul Weaver wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:52:18 +0000, General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote:

Nothing is more likely to make me top post than complaining about it,
but now I digress.

The union HAVE been talking to the management, for 2 years, and have
got no where, this action is the last resort.

"The union" *spit*

Dont you have the balls to talk to your own manager?

If you dont like your job, hand in your notice and leave. It's not
hard.

There speak someone from a different planet.

loobyloo January 23rd 05 06:43 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:39:48 +0000, Paul Weaver wrote:

If you dont like your job, hand in your notice and leave. It's not hard.

What sort of job do you do? I always find the sudden reduction of my
salary by 100% quite an obstacle to leaving a job I migth be fed up with.

--
Cliff Laine, The Old Lard Factory, Lancaster http://www.loobynet.com
* remove any trace of rudeness before you reply *

Best Eurovision Song Title So Far:

"Vsichki Drehi Mi Prechat" - All Clothes are an Obstacle to Me
(Bulgaria)

Solar Penguin January 23rd 05 10:54 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

--- Paul Weaver said...

If you dont like your job, hand in your notice and leave. It's not
hard.

OTOH the ability to drive an Underground train is not a transferable
skill. Face it, TfL and its franchise holders have a monopoly on
needing workers with that particular skill. Unless the ex-drivers are
prepared to become bottom-rung, menial, unskilled workers somewhere
else, TfL has them by the short n' curlies. It's not surprising they
spend so much effort fighting back!

Paul Weaver January 24th 05 07:05 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:32:23 +0000, Robin Mayes wrote:

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
.. .

Great idea, so instead of a few delays until this is resolved people

using
the line have to use only a limited number of trains (60%?) for six

months
or so! Don't forget those who teach people to drive trains are actually
train driver themselves!

And that's relevent because...?

If you dont like your job, and you cant agree on a better deal, then seek
employment elsewhere. Doesn't matter if you're a shop worker, train
driver, or prime minister.
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as

fact.

Cut off your nose to spite your face is the phrase that immediately comes to
mind.

If you walk into a car showroom, and see a car you like, and offer £5,000,
but the salesman says £50,000 - you don't picket outside the room until he
changes your mind, you go elsewhere.

Why do some people (strike lovers) not understand this?

--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Paul Weaver January 24th 05 07:07 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:48:48 +0000, Brimstone wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:52:18 +0000, General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote:

Nothing is more likely to make me top post than complaining about it,
but now I digress.

The union HAVE been talking to the management, for 2 years, and have
got no where, this action is the last resort.

"The union" *spit*

Dont you have the balls to talk to your own manager?

If you dont like your job, hand in your notice and leave. It's not
hard.

There speak someone from a different planet.

If you think it's hard, I am willing to write resignation letters for £10 per person. Bulk
discount too.

--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Paul Weaver January 24th 05 07:09 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:43:54 +0000, loobyloo wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:39:48 +0000, Paul Weaver wrote:

If you dont like your job, hand in your notice and leave. It's not hard.

What sort of job do you do? I always find the sudden reduction of my
salary by 100% quite an obstacle to leaving a job I migth be fed up with.

I do a job which I was suited for after going to uni and spending 3 years
of my life running up £15,000 or debt. It pays a lot less then an
underground driver, but OTOH I didn't start when I was 18 and end up fully
trained on £30k by the time I was 20. Instead I took the long expensive
road in the hope of brighter carrer prospects in the future. I also put a
lot of free time into keeping my skills sharp so I have workforce
mobility.
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Paul Weaver January 24th 05 07:17 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:54:03 +0000, Solar Penguin wrote:

--- Paul Weaver said...

If you dont like your job, hand in your notice and leave. It's not
hard.

OTOH the ability to drive an Underground train is not a transferable
skill.

Indeed, it's barely a skill at all

Face it, TfL and its franchise holders have a monopoly on
needing workers with that particular skill. Unless the ex-drivers are
prepared to become bottom-rung, menial, unskilled workers

Tube driving isn't menial? 'Push "Open", Push "Close", Slide Forwards,
Mumble into tannoy (only the best ones), Slide backwards, Repeat.'

somewhere
else, TfL has them by the short n' curlies. It's not surprising they
spend so much effort fighting back!

Retrain in your spare time. Stop reading The Sun and read "Beginners guide
to doing a job"

--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Guy Perry January 24th 05 07:23 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

Paul Weaver wrote:

I do a job which I was suited for after going to uni and spending 3 years
of my life running up £15,000 or debt. It pays a lot less then an
underground driver, but OTOH I didn't start when I was 18 and end up fully
trained on £30k by the time I was 20. Instead I took the long expensive
road in the hope of brighter carrer prospects in the future. I also put a
lot of free time into keeping my skills sharp so I have workforce
mobility.

See, and then _you_ do have the prospect of increasing salary until you
retire. For the traindrivers it is these 30k throughout their
workinglife - apart from paydeals their unions worked out.

Not to forget that some people simply don't have the chance of attending
uni.

Guy Perry January 24th 05 07:25 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

Paul Weaver wrote:

If you walk into a car showroom, and see a car you like, and offer £5,000,
but the salesman says £50,000 - you don't picket outside the room until he
changes your mind, you go elsewhere.

Why do some people (strike lovers) not understand this?

Why don't some people understand that the workforce is (according to
your example) more the car in the showroom than the customer?

Brimstone January 24th 05 08:47 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

Paul Weaver wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:43:54 +0000, loobyloo wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:39:48 +0000, Paul Weaver wrote:

If you dont like your job, hand in your notice and leave. It's not
hard.

What sort of job do you do? I always find the sudden reduction of my
salary by 100% quite an obstacle to leaving a job I migth be fed up
with.

I do a job which I was suited for after going to uni and spending 3
years of my life running up £15,000 or debt. It pays a lot less then
an underground driver, but OTOH I didn't start when I was 18 and end
up fully trained on £30k by the time I was 20. Instead I took the
long expensive road in the hope of brighter carrer prospects in the
future. I also put a lot of free time into keeping my skills sharp so
I have workforce mobility.

Which doesn't tell us what you do. You're not a lawyer or an accountant are
you?

loobyloo January 25th 05 01:47 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:47:19 +0000 (UTC), Brimstone wrote:

Which doesn't tell us what you do. You're not a lawyer or an accountant are
you?

I know Blackburn are struggling at the moment but I'd have thought they
paid more than tube drivers:
http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/pa...~31118,00.html

Rob January 26th 05 04:25 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

i did start at 18 and was a fully trained driver 6 months later.
training doesn't take that long.

Paul Weaver February 4th 05 10:36 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:47:19 +0000, Brimstone wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote:
[...]

Engineer
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Paul Weaver February 4th 05 10:37 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:23:34 +0100, Guy Perry wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote:

I do a job which I was suited for after going to uni and spending 3 years
of my life running up £15,000 or debt. It pays a lot less then an
underground driver, but OTOH I didn't start when I was 18 and end up fully
trained on £30k by the time I was 20. Instead I took the long expensive
road in the hope of brighter carrer prospects in the future. I also put a
lot of free time into keeping my skills sharp so I have workforce
mobility.

See, and then _you_ do have the prospect of increasing salary until you
retire. For the traindrivers it is these 30k throughout their
workinglife - apart from paydeals their unions worked out.

Still 50% above the average wage of the country.

Not to forget that some people simply don't have the chance of attending
uni.

Pretty much everyone has the choice nowadays. Too many really, the country
needs more vocational training.

--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Brimstone February 5th 05 08:27 AM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

Paul Weaver wrote:
[...]

Which is a wide ranging term and has been used to cover anyone from a bench
fitter to the chap who designed the Channel Tunnel.

Guy Perry February 6th 05 10:01 AM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

Paul Weaver wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:23:34 +0100, Guy Perry wrote:

See, and then _you_ do have the prospect of increasing salary until you
retire. For the traindrivers it is these 30k throughout their
workinglife - apart from paydeals their unions worked out.

Still 50% above the average wage of the country.

But well within average of the profession of traindrivers so what's the
point? That everyone should only get paid the national average unless
they attended university? That everyone should only get paid a fixed
salary, irrelevant what or how hard they work (or at all when at work),
welcome to the already failed communist system.
I then propose that everyone should only get paid one quid a month and
try to cope with life and existing prices. I hope you understand how
ridiculous that would be, as is the continuous whining about LU's driver
salary.

Not to forget that some people simply don't have the chance of attending
uni.

Pretty much everyone has the choice nowadays. Too many really, the country
needs more vocational training.

Please do prove that to me. I doubt everyone can afford fees for uni.

Paul Weaver February 7th 05 07:33 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 09:27:14 +0000, Brimstone wrote:
Engineer

Which is a wide ranging term and has been used to cover anyone from a bench
fitter to the chap who designed the Channel Tunnel.

I'm still considering whether to start on the road to becoming chartered

--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

General Von Clinkerhoffen February 17th 05 07:33 PM

LUL Drivers Work to Rule

Can we carry on this pointless conversation on alt.politics.communism
then the rest of us can carry on talking about public transport in London.

Oh the work to rule is having very little effect on the district line
which shows that the drivers are correct, they could all book on at
Acton with no effects to the service.