Old January 13th 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster prepay fare capping

tim wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 12 Jan 2005:

No, it seem that you are right (I did not use PT when I
was there - I could not work out the tickets. It was pre
internet, so I had no chance to find out before I went.)

Now, I can't work out what the difference is between:

Bilety okresowe miejskie na okaziciela
and
Bilety sieciowe okresowe na okaziciela

No, me neither!

Oh well, I'll just have to take the 2.40 Zl (0.50Eu) pd hit if I go
back!

I, with some difficulty, bought a 7-day travelcard - with retrospect, I
should have got the hotel staff to write down for me what I should ask
the person manning the kiosk for! Next time, if there is a next time,
I'll do so.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old January 13th 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I see what you mean, but the idea is that the discount for the through
journey will make Prepay cheaper for a simple return journey. For
example, for someone in Battersea who feeds into Vauxhall by bus for a
journey to King's Cross, the current prepay fare is £0.80 + £1.70 each
way (£5.00 return, making the off-peak travelcard cheaper at £4.70).
However, imagine the bus fare is only £0.40 for journeys connecting
to/from a Tube leg - £2.10 each way, making the return journey £4.20.

It lessens the £1.30 "penalty" for not living near a Tube station to

£0.40.

I think you mean to £0.80 but that doesn't change the point of course. I
see the idea now. Not sure I can totally sympathize with the view of this
being a "penalty" for not living near a tube station though and I am a
decent bus ride away from the nearest one myself.

I guess if national rail stations were brought into the TfL zonal pricing
for singles and returns it would also weaken the argument somewhat.

Old January 13th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message

--- peter said...

If you take into account the cost of maintenance, staff wages,
depreciation, management costs, and all the other fixed costs,
the actual cost of a 2 hr journey is probable only marginally
above a 15 minute one.

But most of those fixed costs would still be in place even if there were
no journeys at all. (e.g. an empty bus still needs to drive along its
route looking for passengers to pick up.) Why should customers be made
to pay for costs which aren't our fault?

That's my point. The fares have only a passing relationship to the costs.
The fare levels are based on what the market will tolerate and not drive
users to other modes of transport. In some cases it's a social decision and
some wouls argue that public transport should be free and the cost covered
by general taxation.
peter

Old January 13th 05, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Graham J wrote:
[...]

That would certainly affect the argument from some places in South
London, like Battersea, where a quick and regular rail service feeds
into the Tube at Vauxhall (and Victoria), but the additional fare
discourages people using it.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7