London Banter

-   -   Oyster Madness (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2670-oyster-madness.html)

Michael Hoffman January 16th 05 07:17 PM

Oyster Madness

Dave Arquati wrote:

All-zones ODTC with a Young Persons Railcard discount.

Wow, I didn't realize you could do this. And for just 10p more than a
R12 ODTC too. Can you do the same with the 3-day Travelcard?
--
Michael Hoffman

Mark Etherington January 16th 05 08:39 PM

Oyster Madness

StaticFish wrote:
The nearest newsagents is a long way from my Univeristy in Roehampton
Lane.

Everest Convenience Stores, 2-3 Aubyn Square, Roehampton Lane, SW15 5NT

Just up the road. Found using http://www.tfl-ticketlocator.co.uk/.

HTH

--
Mark Etherington

[email protected] January 16th 05 09:03 PM

Oyster Madness OT

StaticFish wrote:

2) Actaully smartarse, It used to be Roehampton Instutute, but as of
around 2000 it has University status. I do a computer programing
course. A seperate cambus from the teaching section. so Shhh

My point exactly - it was renamed as a university when labour devalued
degrees by converting polys into universities and giving them degree
awarding powers.

Tom Cordiner January 16th 05 09:50 PM

Oyster Madness OT

wrote:
StaticFish wrote:

2) Actaully smartarse, It used to be Roehampton Instutute, but as of
around 2000 it has University status. I do a computer programing
course. A seperate cambus from the teaching section. so Shhh

My point exactly - it was renamed as a university when labour devalued
degrees by converting polys into universities and giving them degree
awarding powers.

Most of this 'devaluation' was done in 1992 by the Conservative
government. The Further and Higher Education Act (1992) granted
university status to most of the national network of polytechnics and
colleges.

Despite being a Cambridge snob (!) I was under the impression
Roehamption was one of the better new universities?

Tom

Dave Arquati January 16th 05 11:11 PM

Oyster Madness

Michael Hoffman wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

All-zones ODTC with a Young Persons Railcard discount.

Wow, I didn't realize you could do this. And for just 10p more than a
R12 ODTC too. Can you do the same with the 3-day Travelcard?

I'm not sure... I'd guess not, but I don't really have any evidence for
that.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

[email protected] January 16th 05 11:18 PM

Oyster Madness OT

StaticFish wrote:
It's still a degree, it's a "proper" University, and you're an

arrogant
arse-hole

Yes it is a degree and yes Roehampton does seem to be one of the better
new universities (number 64 in the times online league tables)

The fact still remains that students of computing at Roehampton are
only required to get 200 UCAS points (thats a C and 2 D's at A level)

Richard January 16th 05 11:32 PM

Oyster Madness OT

On 16 Jan 2005 14:03:26 -0800, wrote:
My point exactly - it was renamed as a university when labour devalued
degrees by converting polys into universities and giving them degree
awarding powers.

I think there was a devaluation, but rather it was the poly degrees
that were adversely affected, when the CNAA was done away with. A big
name university may have been around for long enough to build trust in
the degrees, but what about the new universities that were created?

I'm not ashamed one bit of my poly education, at an institute that was
founded before the University of London. Sadly it did not include
Internet smileys, and educate me about which one to use for a tongue
sticking out. (Though even more off-topic, Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon says that the first emoticon
was used in a newspaper ad in 1953.)

Richard.

Michael Hoffman January 16th 05 11:53 PM

Oyster Madness OT

wrote:
StaticFish wrote:

It's still a degree, it's a "proper" University, and you're an

arrogant

arse-hole

Yes it is a degree and yes Roehampton does seem to be one of the better
new universities (number 64 in the times online league tables)

The fact still remains that students of computing at Roehampton are
only required to get 200 UCAS points (thats a C and 2 D's at A level)

Why are you continuing on with this snobbery?
--
Michael Hoffman

Jim Crowther January 17th 05 12:05 AM

Oyster Madness OT

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:34:22, StaticFish wrote:

It's still a degree, it's a "proper" University, and you're an arrogant
arse-hole

As much use as an 11-plus these days. :(

In the days when the top 8% of A-level candidates got an A, and the top
10% of Uni entrants escaped with a First, employers could reasonably
decide those who could 'cut the mustard' out of any one year's
prospective employees.

With at least 50% getting a blanket 'In the top echelon' badge these
days, no wonder there is some cynicism abroad.

What's worse, there seems very little vocational training available for
14+ year-olds who are not academic. This maybe why we have so many
chavs on the streets, and such a paucity of trained engineers (lowercase
to stop offending some IEEE members) / mechanics / technicians / etc.

--
Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" (tm SMG)

Always learning.