Old January 17th 05, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Madness OT

Martin Rich ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

And the 1992 changes had nothing at all to do with Roehampton.

I seem to vaguely recall Roehampton being part of Thames Poly/Univ of
Greenwich at the time - I did my (Computer Science) finals there in '92, so
took Thames exams on Thames paper and got a Greenwich degree certificate.

Old January 17th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May typed

Ah yes, qualifications don't mean anything, blah blah blah. The world
we live in is very different now than it was in the 1970s. If a person
from the 70s were to travel through time and find themself in 2005, I
doubt they'd be able to do much of any use no matter what grades they
got. The world changes. Move with it.

I had all my O Levels and A Levels in the 70s. I cope fine with the
world, even if my SO and friends spend much time grouching about poor
English in the things we read...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 17th 05, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Adrian
writes

I seem to vaguely recall Roehampton being part of Thames Poly/Univ of
Greenwich at the time - I did my (Computer Science) finals there in '92, so
took Thames exams on Thames paper and got a Greenwich degree certificate.

You are thinking of Garnett College which, although in Roehampton Lane,
adjacent to what is now Roehampton University, was never part of the
Roehampton Institute or University.

For most of its life it was a small college primarily for training
lecturers, run by the LCC and then ILEA. It became part of Thames
Polytechnic in the 80s and then passed to the University of Greenwich
(who never made much use of it, AFAIR).

I think the site and buildings are now used by Thames College.

--
Paul Terry
Old January 17th 05, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

I seem to vaguely recall Roehampton being part of Thames Poly/Univ of
Greenwich at the time - I did my (Computer Science) finals there in
'92, so took Thames exams on Thames paper and got a Greenwich degree
certificate.

You are thinking of Garnett College which, although in Roehampton
Lane, adjacent to what is now Roehampton University, was never part of
the Roehampton Institute or University.

Thank you for that clarification. It wasn't a site I ever made it to, being
based in the middle of the myriad delights of central Woolwich.
Old January 17th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Madness

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:43:57 on Sun,
16 Jan 2005, Mike Bristow remarked:
Of course, it's just a Small Matter Of Programming, so I'm sure
it'll be along any decade now.

Apparently they are training some more programmers at Roehampton.

Really? Is that the old teacher training place?

Old January 17th 05, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:05:01 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:43:57 on Sun,
16 Jan 2005, Mike Bristow remarked:
Of course, it's just a Small Matter Of Programming, so I'm sure it'll be along
any decade now.

Apparently they are training some more programmers at Roehampton.

Perhaps all government IT projects come from that place?
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Old January 21st 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The fact still remains that students of computing at
Roehampton are only required to get 200 UCAS
points (thats a C and 2 D's at A level)

The entry requirements for degree courses have
always been a much better indication of popularity
than quality. High entry requirements usually mean
that a course is extremely popular and so the
institution has set high grades to restrict the number
of applicants to a reasonable level for processing.

Thus, in general, the entry requirements for
physical science courses are lower than those for,
say, English. Not because you need to be more
clever to do English than physics, but because more
people want to do English than physics.

Matt Ashby