Old February 5th 05, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How long does it change to swap bus drivers?

Why does it take so long for bus drivers to swap over and why is it
done half way through a route?

--
Chris

Old February 5th 05, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 5 Feb 2005:

Why does it take so long for bus drivers to swap over and why is it
done half way through a route?

It doesn't always take a long time if the replacement driver is waiting
- just the time for the getting-off driver to log out, and the
getting-on driver to log in. But you can wait ages if, for some reason,
he or she isn't waiting at the bus stop!

I agree, I wish they would warn of a crew change mid-run; I find the 159
is particularly prone to changing crews at Brixton garage. The only
time other buses stop there is if the driver is "taken short".
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old February 5th 05, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why does it take so long for bus drivers to swap over and why is it
done half way through a route?

It makes sense to change drivers partway through a route as it is more than
likely closer to the depot than either ends of the route.
In practise this shouldn't take too long, as the driver is approaching the
stop where the changeover takes place he can sign-off his module and print
off a waybill, then as the bus stops just grab his cash bag and leave the
bus, the new driver gets in, signs on his module and drives off.

I have seen this take just over 2 minutes, although no doubt can be done
much quicker.

Some drivers take longer because they like to have a chit chat as they
probably havent seen each other for days.

anyway just my 2p's worth.

Paul

Old February 5th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

foxy 1 wrote:
I have seen this take just over 2 minutes, although no doubt can be

done
much quicker.

Some drivers take longer because they like to have a chit chat as

they
probably havent seen each other for days.

There was no chit-chat - the new driver was casualy walking up the
street, cigarette in mouth after the old driver had left. It didn't
take too long to 'log on' and fill in his paperwork once he got on the
bus (about 5 minutes) but then he started adjusting the steering wheel
console, etc.

Not supprisingly most people at the bus stop were moaning about
travelling by bus being "so inefficient" but still said thanks to the
driver when leaving !?

Old February 5th 05, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"foxy 1" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why does it take so long for bus drivers to swap over and why is it
done half way through a route?

It makes sense to change drivers partway through a route as it is more
than likely closer to the depot than either ends of the route.
In practise this shouldn't take too long, as the driver is approaching the
stop where the changeover takes place he can sign-off his module and print
off a waybill, then as the bus stops just grab his cash bag and leave the
bus, the new driver gets in, signs on his module and drives off.

Are you seriously suggesting that a bus driver should do his paperwork (even
if it on a machine not actually on paper) while driving the bus along the
road?

Old February 5th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Are you seriously suggesting that a bus driver should do his paperwork
(even if it on a machine not actually on paper) while driving the bus
along the road?

I aint suggesting it should be done or is right in doing it but in practise
it is done, certainly round here it is

Old February 5th 05, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , foxy 1
writes
Some drivers take longer because they like to have a chit chat as they
probably havent seen each other for days.

Many tour coach drivers like to do this, too and it's one of the few
things they do that irritates the hell out of me!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old February 7th 05, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

foxy 1 wrote:
I have seen this take just over 2 minutes, although no doubt can be

done
much quicker.

Some drivers take longer because they like to have a chit chat as

they
probably havent seen each other for days.

There was no chit-chat - the new driver was casualy walking up the
street, cigarette in mouth after the old driver had left. It didn't
take too long to 'log on' and fill in his paperwork once he got on the
bus (about 5 minutes) but then he started adjusting the steering wheel
console, etc.

Not supprisingly most people at the bus stop were moaning about
travelling by bus being "so inefficient" but still said thanks to the
driver when leaving !?

Most bus passengers are a miserable bunch. They whine and moan about
everything and anything, particularly if there is a delay of any sort. Coach
passengers on the other hand tend to be different and don't seem to mind
late running. As a for instance, I used to drive route 24 which had a 5
minute headway in the daytime. One particular morning the bus in front was
'missing' (either broken down in the garage or no driver available for it)
so the gap was increased to 10 minutes. It was around 8am, the morning peak
and I filled rapidly and the bus behind caught me up. The whining and
bitching and complaining at each stop as I picked up was unreal. "we've been
waiting 15 minutes for a bus and then 2 come at once etc" - I knew it had
been 10 mins since the last one went, I watched it leave. I also knew a bus
was missing and wasnt allowed to leave early. And I also knew I'd lose time
because of it.

Nowadays I work a National Express coach into London and I'm frequently late
due to traffic and sometimes due to people having lots of luggage and a
tight timetable. But unlike with buses, first use check of the vehicle can
take up to 15 minutes. Once I started a journey almost 15 minutes down
because of a toilet problem which needed fixing. I didn't get a murmour of
complaint from my passengers, some of whom had been waiting at the stop for
30 mins. They were just glad I had come at all!

Old February 7th 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David B wrote:

Most bus passengers are a miserable bunch.

I wouldn't go that far, though...

They whine and moan about
everything and anything, particularly if there is a delay of any sort. Coach
passengers on the other hand tend to be different and don't seem to mind
late running.

.... that is very true.

...Once I started a journey almost 15 minutes down
because of a toilet problem which needed fixing. I didn't get a murmour of
complaint from my passengers, some of whom had been waiting at the stop for
30 mins. They were just glad I had come at all!

Passengers on citytraffic are somewhat spoiled. They seem to tke it as
granted that there's a bus coming up every 5 to 10 minuteswhile regional
passengers do still cherish the few buses the get per day as long as
they show up at all.