Old November 4th 08, 01:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How long does an Oyster card last?

I was last in London in August 2006. I'm returning this week, arriving
Thursday morning at Heathrow T3.

Will my Oyster card still work?

And if I do need a new one, is the £3 deposit still waived if I buy a 7-
day Travelcard when I obtain the card? And how far in advance can I buy
a Travelcard? I might not want it to start up right away.

Thanks.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Old November 4th 08, 02:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David of Broadway" wrote in message
t...
I was last in London in August 2006. I'm returning this week, arriving
Thursday morning at Heathrow T3.

Will my Oyster card still work?

And if I do need a new one, is the £3 deposit still waived if I buy a 7-
day Travelcard when I obtain the card? And how far in advance can I buy
a Travelcard? I might not want it to start up right away.

Thanks.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Yes it still should work. I use mine ever couple of years on trips to London
(or lend it to friends to use to save the hassle of queuing to get one) .
Its got a PAYG balance on it. It is registered, and I check the balance on
the internet a couple of times a year. Yes, if you buy a 7 day Travel card
the £3 deposit is waived.

Peter
Sydney

Old November 4th 08, 07:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 21:50:36 -0500, David of Broadway wrote:

I was last in London in August 2006. I'm returning this week, arriving
Thursday morning at Heathrow T3.

Will my Oyster card still work?

Yes, I moved out of London in 2005, and stupidly ended up with £20 left on
the card. I used it last week without any problem (after doing the dumb
tourist thing and hogging the ticket machine for 5 minutes trying to work
out how to read the balance off the card)

Steve
Old November 4th 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Nov, 02:50, David of Broadway
wrote:
I was last in London in August 2006. *I'm returning this week, arriving
Thursday morning at Heathrow T3.

Will my Oyster card still work?

I remember reading in the Oyster Terms & Conditions that after a
certain period - I think it may have been 2 years - unused Oyster
cards would be deactivated. *However* I have never come across any
example of this actually happening, and I cannot find this mentioned
in any of the current TfL T&Cs - so I dare suggest it is (or was) a
theoretical condition that has never actually been applied, if indeed
it still exists whatsoever.

As you can see from the replies of others there wouldn't appear to be
any issue whatsoever here. (So long as your Oyster card isn't actually
physically broken that is! My advice is don't put it in your back
pocket and sit on it, as it doesn't like being continually flexed like
that!)

And if I do need a new one, is the £3 deposit still waived if I buy a 7-
day Travelcard when I obtain the card? *And how far in advance can I buy
a Travelcard? *I might not want it to start up right away.

The £3 deposit is indeed still waived for 7-day Travelcards (and Bus
Passes as well I think), and you can buy it to start ages in advance -
I think it's up to a month in advance, certainly up to a week
beforehand.
Old November 5th 08, 01:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , spam@puppet-
headDOT.coDOT.uk says...
On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 21:50:36 -0500, David of Broadway wrote:

I was last in London in August 2006. I'm returning this week, arriving
Thursday morning at Heathrow T3.

Will my Oyster card still work?

Yes, I moved out of London in 2005, and stupidly ended up with £20 left on
the card. I used it last week without any problem (after doing the dumb
tourist thing and hogging the ticket machine for 5 minutes trying to work
out how to read the balance off the card)

Thanks.

I'm actually up to three Oyster cards now - one of my colleagues handed
me two of his, with leftover balances.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA