Old February 6th 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route 73 to go DD and Route 29 to go Bendi???

Apparently it has been reported in other newsgroup forums that Route
73 is to revert back to being a double deck bus route and the bendis
redeployed on the Route 29, does anyone know whether any truth exists
in this story or is it just mere speculation. If it does revert it
will be interesting what reason is given, I suspect bendi buses
running the whole length of Oxford Street has been a major problem
along with the buses being backed to capacity in the morning peak.

Martin

Old February 6th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Feb 2005 12:22:30 -0800, (Martin Whelton)
wrote:

Apparently it has been reported in other newsgroup forums that Route
73 is to revert back to being a double deck bus route and the bendis
redeployed on the Route 29, does anyone know whether any truth exists
in this story or is it just mere speculation. If it does revert it
will be interesting what reason is given, I suspect bendi buses
running the whole length of Oxford Street has been a major problem
along with the buses being backed to capacity in the morning peak.

aha - it's on the Routemaster Exchange

There is a consultation under way concerning changes to routes 29 and
141 and one of the options involves converting the 29 to artic. However
no conclusion has been reached and reported on. The 73 change is the
first I've heard of it. Personally this sounds a bit like wishful
thinking as the route 29 PVR is only 35 vehicles while the bendy 73 has
42

Therefore there would be a surplus of bendies as the 29 proposal
involves cutting the section north of Wood Green which would mean even
fewer buses being needed. As one of the key justifications of bendy
operation is fewer vehicles for a given capacity it really makes no
sense to move them from the 73 to the 29. In addition there is the
whole "face saving" thing where I doubt that TfL would wish to "admit
defeat" by moving bendies off the 73. It would also blow a hole in the
argument for converting other busy routes like the 12 and 38 to bendy
operation.

As a double deck 73 would need more buses than the old RM operation
(i.e. more than 55) then where will be the extra 20 odd buses come from
to top up the buses made available from the 29 going bendy? TfL simply
don't have the money to fund new buses on this sort of scale.

As I said wishful thinking on the part of whoever started the story
although I expect the residents of Stoke Newington wouldn't mind getting
double decks back on the 73.
--
Paul C

Old February 7th 05, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message

The bendies are a complete
nightmare for cyclists on Euston Road from King's Cross and turning left
into Judd Street.

At least something good's come out of them, then!

;-)

Ian

Old February 7th 05, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:05:59 +0000, Jason wrote:

wrote:
Apparently it has been reported in other newsgroup forums that Route
73 is to revert back to being a double deck bus route and the bendis
redeployed on the Route 29

As I said wishful thinking on the part of whoever started the story
although I expect the residents of Stoke Newington wouldn't mind getting
double decks back on the 73.

I'm curious: why do you mention the residents of SN in particular?
What about all the other areas and people along the 73 route?

Well depends what bit of Stoke Newington. I was referring to the Church
St, Albion Rd, Newington Green section where the 73 is the main bus
route. Yes there is the 476 and 393 and yes you get other buses at
Newington Green but a large part of the 73's patronage is from the Stoke
Newington area. Once past Mildmay Park you get the 38 and 56 helping
out. The most vocal complaints have come from Stoke Newington if you
look at the various websites that were set up to save the RMs or else
moan about the bendy version of the 73.

Surely SN has more than one bus service! ;-)

Yes - see above.
--
Paul C

Old February 8th 05, 12:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

There is a consultation under way concerning
changes to routes 29 and 141

Is this a consultation that the public can contribute to?

While we're on the subject of Green Lanes, I wonder if TfL could pay for
some infomercials about box junction law to be broadcast on London Greek
Radio. I'm tired of getting beeped at by the car behind every time I
correctly observe a box junction in a Greek area. It never happens in any
other part of London.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 8th 05, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

There is a consultation under way concerning
changes to routes 29 and 141

Is this a consultation that the public can contribute to?

While we're on the subject of Green Lanes, I wonder if TfL could pay for
some infomercials about box junction law to be broadcast on London Greek
Radio. I'm tired of getting beeped at by the car behind every time I
correctly observe a box junction in a Greek area. It never happens in any
other part of London.

It wouldn't hurt to broadcast the same on CentreComm either. I used to work
overlooking the box junction on Oxford Street / Portman Street and every
other cycle during the day it would be blocked eastbound by a London bus.

Dave.

Old February 8th 05, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

Is this a consultation that the public can contribute to?

Errrm, what scoundrel spoofed my identity, only to put a preposition at the
end of a sentence?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 8th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , John Rowland wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in message

Is this a consultation that the public can contribute to?

Errrm, what scoundrel spoofed my identity, only to put a preposition at the
end of a sentence?

That is the sort of thing up with which you will not put?

Niklas
--
"Oh, now, Ket. That's not nice. You shouldn't kick a man when his fiscal
strategy is failing. You should knife him."