Old February 9th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default To the M25 by rail

Hi all,

A friend of mine is driving from Essex to Sheffield; he's planning to take
the route via the M25 (A12 to M1, i assume, so J28 to J21). No, he's not
the sharpest tool in the box, but this is to my advantage, since i want to
go to Sheffield with him. Therefore, i plan to rendezvous with him
somewhere on the M25; i will get there by train.

So, what's the easiest way to get from central London (Euston sort of
area) to somewhere where a car on the M25 can make a pickup? He could
probably be persuaded to make a quick dip inward if it would help.

The options i can see that make any sense are Brentwood (he could make a
detour off the A12 before joining the M25), Watford (he could detour down
from J21), maybe somewhere around Waltham Abbey, or Theydon Bois. I like
the sound of Watford, since (a) i can get a reasonably fast train there
and (b) i skip the actual M25 bit.

This should be on friday afternoon; hopefully well before rush-hour. If
it's not, i'll probably just get a train the whole way!

Thanks,
tom

--
If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Old February 9th 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:46:33 +0000, Tom Anderson wrote:

So, what's the easiest way to get from central London (Euston sort of
area) to somewhere where a car on the M25 can make a pickup? He could
probably be persuaded to make a quick dip inward if it would help.

Potters bar isn't far from South Mimms service station, I've got a bus to
about a mile from the service station, or get a taxi. If he doesn't mind
going a bit off the motorway PB isn't too bad to get to.
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Old February 9th 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:46:33 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

[...]

If I go to Sheffield, I find that the best route is to take the
Dartford Tunnel then M25, M11/A14 to the A1(M). Leave the A1 on the
A57 through Worksop and on to Sheffield. It's much less congested than
the M1, except around Cambridge.

Brentwood makes sense to me.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society
Old February 9th 05, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

Piccadilly Line to Cockfosters, a bus takes you from there towards Potters
Bar and there's a bus stop just north of the M25 junction.

I used to use it in the opposite direction.

Old February 10th 05, 01:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

Central Line to Loughton then a 250 bus to the Woodbine; it's a short
drive from the roundabout at M25 Junction 26 (Waltham Abbey)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M1173117A

Or, A12 and join M11 at the Redbridge roundabout and leave at the
Loughton turnoff. Turn left onto Chigwell Lane and pick you up at Debden
station (Central Line) before driving on to Waltham Abbey to join the
M25
--
Kat

Old February 10th 05, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Be careful about using the A1 on a Friday afternoon as it gets very
congested in the Stamford and Grantham areas due to people going
shopping at the superstores. If I go to my friends in Lincoln, I always
go round the Peterborough ringroad and get on the A15 to Lincoln, very
pretty drive an passes the remains of some old WW2 airfields. You can
then pick the A57 up when you reach the Lincoln ringroad.

Neill
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old February 10th 05, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
[...]

Luton Airport Parkway is close to Junction 10 of the M1,
Harlington is close to Junction 12.

Peter.

Old February 10th 05, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Tom Anderson wrote:

So, what's the easiest way to get from central London (Euston sort of
area) to somewhere where a car on the M25 can make a pickup?

Thanks to everyone for suggestions!

However, i have come to my senses and bought a ticket for the train. A
shade under 35 quid is a small price to pay for a fast, comfortable
journey. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a slow, uncomfortable one!

tom

--
I know you wanna try and get away, but it's the hardest thing you'll ever know

Old February 10th 05, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Terry Harper wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 9 Feb 2005:

If I go to Sheffield, I find that the best route is to take the
Dartford Tunnel then M25, M11/A14 to the A1(M). Leave the A1 on the
A57 through Worksop and on to Sheffield. It's much less congested than
the M1, except around Cambridge.

We do this when going to York, only obviously staying on the A1 until
the correct turn-off for York - but last time I swore "Never Again" as
the A14 had roadworks and was so-o-o slow. So was the A1, that
particular day.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

I searching personage lives near motorway west M25 south M25 Leon London Transport 1 May 10th 05 05:31 PM
advice please - pool inside M25 for tour team stay jtaylor London Transport 3 March 11th 05 05:57 PM
M25 Protest Joe London Transport 3 December 20th 04 11:01 AM
London Orbital (M25) - Service Areas Bob Martin London Transport 96 July 8th 04 10:07 AM
M25 at 8 am ? Alistair Bell London Transport 4 April 2nd 04 10:23 AM