London Banter

-   -   Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2755-easier-stanstead-luton-london.html)

Pete February 11th 05 12:57 PM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean easier/faster
and/or cheaper.

TIA.

Solar Penguin February 11th 05 03:10 PM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

--- Pete said...

I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean
easier/faster and/or cheaper.

Hi, Pete. Stanstead is easier, because the station is part of the
airport buildings. From Luton, you have to take a bus from the airport
to the station.

--

"The guests were -- like herself -- invisible! It appeared to be the
worst story ever." -- MegaHal

Paul Corfield February 11th 05 03:48 PM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:57:07 +0100, "Pete" wrote:

I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean easier/faster
and/or cheaper.

Both airports have their own stations with direct trains to London.

Luton is served by Thameslink to Kings Cross. You can get the Tube to
the Westminster area easily from Kings Cross. Please note that
Thameslink is currently split in half and there are significant
construction works at Kings Cross so there may be some more hassle
opting for that route.

Stansted has a direct rail service (Stansted Express) into London
Liverpool St with an intermediate stop at Tottenham Hale for the
Victoria Line direct to Victoria which is in the heart of Westminster.
You can buy a through ticket.

http://nrekb.nationalrail.co.uk/links.htm has links to the relevant
train company websites for you to look at prices and timetables.

HTH
--
Paul C

d February 11th 05 04:19 PM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message
--- Pete said...

I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean
easier/faster and/or cheaper.

Hi, Pete. Stanstead is easier, because the station is part of the
airport buildings. From Luton, you have to take a bus from the airport
to the station.

--

"The guests were -- like herself -- invisible! It appeared to be the
worst story ever." -- MegaHal

Yeah - that makes all the difference. The luton shuttle bus makes timing
your journey difficult. Also, there are no "Luton Express" services (yet),
so you have to use regular trains, and that involves making sure it stops at
the right station, and whether it's a fast train, or a stopping service (get
the wrong one, and you've added 20/30 mins to your trip).

If you have a choice, Stanstead all the way.

informer February 11th 05 06:47 PM

"Pete" wrote in message
I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean easier/faster
and/or cheaper.

Stansted is London's rural airport with a branch line rail service to London
which takes on average 50 minutes and runs as little as every half hour
even in the early evening and not at all during the night. Luton is on the
main line, has up to 9 trains an hour and a journey time of as little as 23
minutes. Yes there is a shuttle bus but it runs every few minutes and
takes just 5 minutes to get to the station.

Don't forget at Stansted you have to catch a train to get from the stands to
the terminal. By the time you have got out of Stansted you could be half way
to London from Luton.

tim February 11th 05 07:07 PM

"informer" wrote in message

"Pete" wrote in message
I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean
easier/faster
and/or cheaper.

Stansted is London's rural airport with a branch line rail service to
London
which takes on average 50 minutes and runs as little as every half hour
even in the early evening and not at all during the night. Luton is on
the
main line, has up to 9 trains an hour and a journey time of as little as
23
minutes. Yes there is a shuttle bus but it runs every few minutes and
takes just 5 minutes to get to the station.

Don't forget at Stansted you have to catch a train to get from the stands
the terminal.

usually not if you fly with ryanair

tim

Bonzo February 11th 05 07:58 PM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:19:17 GMT, "d" wrote:

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message
--- Pete said...

Yeah - that makes all the difference. The luton shuttle bus makes timing
your journey difficult. Also, there are no "Luton Express" services (yet),
so you have to use regular trains, and that involves making sure it stops at
the right station, and whether it's a fast train, or a stopping service (get
the wrong one, and you've added 20/30 mins to your trip).

If you have a choice, Stanstead all the way.

My usual comment, to OP and followups:

There is only one A in Stansted!

Dave Arquati February 11th 05 09:29 PM

Pete wrote:
I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean easier/faster
and/or cheaper.

All hail Luton! It may need a short 5-minute free shuttle bus ride to
the station, but from plane to train it probably works out the same as
Stansted's integrated station as Stansted requires a much longer walk
through the terminal...

Once you are at Luton Airport Parkway, currently almost all Thameslink
trains call at West Hampstead and reach it within half an hour; at West
Hampstead there is a 5-minute walk between stations and then you're on
the Jubilee line and can be at Westminster station in 20 minutes.

The train from Luton gets to London quicker than the train from
Stansted, which is further away.

Train fare is about £12 or a bit more for a Travelcard; this is cheaper
than the train from Stansted. Coaches are also available from both
airports and I think they cost about the same; both will drop you off at
Victoria which is not far from Westminster (20 minute walk or 5 mins on
Tube or bus), but again the journey from Luton is faster as it is nearer.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Michael Hoffman February 11th 05 09:45 PM

Paul Corfield wrote:

Luton is served by Thameslink to Kings Cross.

St. Pancras, actually, which is next to Kings Cross and shares its
Tube station.
--
Michael Hoffman

informer February 12th 05 06:34 AM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

"Huge" wrote

And when you arrive at St.Pancras you're ... in a building site.

But not for too much longer

Paul Corfield February 12th 05 09:11 AM

On 11 Feb 2005 22:53:29 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Michael Hoffman writes:
Paul Corfield wrote:

Luton is served by Thameslink to Kings Cross.

St. Pancras, actually, which is next to Kings Cross and shares its
Tube station.

St. Pancras, actually, which is some way from Kings X if you are carrying
any amount of luggage or are elderly or unfit, and has no Tube Station.

Last time I looked the Tube station was called Kings Cross St Pancras.

The current arrangement, as you all know, is temporary with respect to
Thameslink terminals in the area.
--
Paul C

Dave Arquati February 12th 05 12:21 PM

Michael Hoffman writes:

Paul Corfield wrote:

Luton is served by Thameslink to Kings Cross.

St. Pancras, actually, which is next to Kings Cross and shares its
Tube station.

St. Pancras, actually, which is some way from Kings X if you are carrying
any amount of luggage or are elderly or unfit, and has no Tube Station.

Last time I looked the Tube station was called Kings Cross St Pancras.

The current arrangement, as you all know, is temporary with respect to
Thameslink terminals in the area.

I'm sure it's deeply reassuring to know what the Tube station is called
and that the arrangement is temporary as you drag your suitcases 500
yards in the ****ing rain to wait outside the gates until the Northern
Line platforms clear enough to let some more people in.

Figures.

To the OP: Go to Gatwick. St. Pancras is a shambles at present and to be
avoided at all costs.

The OP is only coming for a few days and probably doesn't have much
luggage, so St Pancras probably isn't a big deal. If he's travelling to
Westminster than changing at West Hampstead is probably very useful for him.

Gatwick is more convenient for Westminster - but the OP asked which was
better between Luton or Stansted, so Gatwick is a completely useless
suggestion.

Paul Oter February 12th 05 03:40 PM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:47:52 +0000 (UTC), "informer"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean easier/faster
and/or cheaper.

Stansted is London's rural airport with a branch line rail service to London
which takes on average 50 minutes and runs as little as every half hour
even in the early evening and not at all during the night. Luton is on the
main line, has up to 9 trains an hour and a journey time of as little as 23
minutes. Yes there is a shuttle bus but it runs every few minutes and
takes just 5 minutes to get to the station.

Don't forget at Stansted you have to catch a train to get from the stands to
the terminal. By the time you have got out of Stansted you could be half way
to London from Luton.

Though whilst you're on the automated shuttle train at Stansted your
luggage is being unloaded so it probably doesn't increase the total
amount of time taken to exit the airport - it simply reduces the
length of time you're waiting at the carousel. (Unless you're
travelling with hand baggage only,of course).

PaulO

[email protected] February 12th 05 05:28 PM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

I had to wait for that automated shuttle train a few years back. The
crowds were enormous and the tunnel to the train was claustrophobic.
Someone decided to drop their guts which didn't help. I can still
taste it today.

Paul Corfield February 12th 05 10:06 PM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

On 12 Feb 2005 10:55:08 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Paul Corfield writes:
On 11 Feb 2005 22:53:29 GMT,
(Huge) wrote:

Michael Hoffman writes:
Paul Corfield wrote:

Luton is served by Thameslink to Kings Cross.

St. Pancras, actually, which is next to Kings Cross and shares its
Tube station.

St. Pancras, actually, which is some way from Kings X if you are carrying
any amount of luggage or are elderly or unfit, and has no Tube Station.

Last time I looked the Tube station was called Kings Cross St Pancras.

The current arrangement, as you all know, is temporary with respect to
Thameslink terminals in the area.

I'm sure it's deeply reassuring to know what the Tube station is called
and that the arrangement is temporary as you drag your suitcases 500
yards in the ****ing rain to wait outside the gates until the Northern
Line platforms clear enough to let some more people in.

Figures.

Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother with
attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.
--
Paul C

Ian Jelf February 12th 05 10:38 PM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother with
attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow the
occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10% of what
you're on about discourage you.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Dave Arquati February 13th 05 12:51 AM

Paul Corfield writes:

Figures.

Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother with
attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

The intelligent majority find your contributions extremely helpful and
useful.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Ian F. February 13th 05 09:59 AM

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

The intelligent majority find your contributions extremely helpful and
useful.

Agreed. Carry on posting, Paul.

That said, St. Pancras is a mess at present and a real schlep from Kings
Cross. The advice to the OP to stick to Stansted is fair.

Ian

Ian Jelf February 13th 05 10:48 AM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

In message , Huge
writes
Ian Jelf writes:
In message , Paul Corfield
writes
Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother with
attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow the
occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10% of what
you're on about discourage you.

So, your bigotry somehow distorts spacetime and means that people
arriving at St.Pancras *don't* have to drag their suitcases 500 yards
in the ****ing rain to wait outside Kings X until the Tube has cleared
sufficiently?

Damn, I must be imagining those enraged/confused tourists every
morning. And the thousands of Thameslink customers getting it
up the arse from T/L, GoVia, whatever the National rail authority
is called this week and LuL. "Kings X is full, go away."

To the OP: Definitely use Stanstead. St.Pancras is a shambles and
Kings X a building site at present. Oh, and I wouldn't bother
with a Blue Badge Guide, either, if they're all as accurate (and
bigoted) as above.

Oh thanks, Huge, I haven't been flamed for *ages*! :-))

I have made no comment about the use of Kings Cross Saint Pancras or
otherwise for the original poster. I *do* however, feel the desire to
post a few words of support to Paul C whose contributions here are
balanced, valuable and well thought out.

Paul Corfield February 13th 05 11:12 AM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

On 13 Feb 2005 10:16:59 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Paul Corfield writes:
On 12 Feb 2005 10:55:08 GMT,
(Huge) wrote:

[20 lines snipped]

I'm sure it's deeply reassuring to know what the Tube station is called
and that the arrangement is temporary as you drag your suitcases 500
yards in the ****ing rain to wait outside the gates until the Northern
Line platforms clear enough to let some more people in.

Figures.

Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother with
attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

Frankly, given the quality of the "help" offered, I'd be inclined to agree
with you. You might work for LU, but I have to *use* the "service" you
"offer" in the real world.

You seem to somehow imagine that I don't use the tube and buses every
day to get about London. As I have said many times on here (utl) there
are days when the service is truly awful - no argument - but also there
are countless days when I (and thousands of others) get about with no
problems whatsoever. There is a lot of effort being made to knock the
system into shape so that there are no delays or breakdowns.

Now who do you work for so I can assess whether I use your services and
then can make sweeping statements about what your firm provides?
--
Paul C

John Rowland February 13th 05 11:39 AM

"Huge" wrote in message
Paul Corfield writes:

Thanks for reminding me why I really, really
should not bother with attempting to be
remotely helpful to people on this group.

Frankly, given the quality of the "help" offered,
I'd be inclined to agree with you. You might work
for LU, but I have to *use* the "service" you
"offer" in the real world.

Come off it, Huge, you weren't rude to Paul for a reason, you were rude to
him because you're rude to everyone.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Mrs Redboots February 13th 05 12:38 PM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

Ian Jelf wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 12 Feb 2005:

In message , Paul
Corfield writes
Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother with
attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow the
occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10% of
what you're on about discourage you.

You're generous, Ian - I would have said they knew about 1%!

Paul, do keep on posting here, please!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Paul Corfield February 13th 05 04:06 PM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

On 13 Feb 2005 13:14:55 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Paul Corfield writes:
On 13 Feb 2005 10:16:59 GMT,
(Huge) wrote:

Paul Corfield writes:

[13 lines snipped]

Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother with
attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

Frankly, given the quality of the "help" offered, I'd be inclined to agree
with you. You might work for LU, but I have to *use* the "service" you
"offer" in the real world.

You seem to somehow imagine that I don't use the tube and buses every
day to get about London.

So why are you advising, contrary to that offered by your employers,
people to use Kings X? And indulging in pointless pedantry? What
the station is called is of no consequence. It's a 500 yard walk, out
of doors. End of debate. All else is pointless willy-waving.

The original poster asked about both Stansted and Luton. Therefore my
answer covered both - but obviously not to the level of detail you feel
appropriate given that *you* clearly have to walk from St Pancras at
present or else you would not be making such a song and dance about all
of this.

If the OP opts to use Luton Airport they have NO option to avoid St
Pancras and Kings Cross if they travel by train into the current
terminal. Other people suggested changing further out e.g. at West
Hampstead. The OP gave only approximate details as to the extent of
their encumbrance, whether they were able bodied or not, whether
frequency was more important than a direct service etc. A little more
detail would have allowed a more focused and accurate reply - there is
no way of knowing whether your view about using Stansted is any more
appropriate than anyone else suggesting Thameslink via St Pancras and
Kings Cross or changing to the Tube at West Hampstead or Kentish Town.
No criticism of the OP is implied in the above comments before you leap
to an inappropriate conclusion.

Oh and I notice you haven't bothered to answer my question to you. Still
you're only here for the wind up potential so I guess a straight answer
was expecting too much.
--
Paul C

Richard J. February 13th 05 04:59 PM

Huge wrote:
Mrs Redboots writes:
Ian Jelf wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 12 Feb 2005:

In message , Paul
Corfield writes
Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother
with attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow
the occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10%
of what you're on about discourage you.

You're generous, Ian - I would have said they knew about 1%!

I sure as **** know how far it is from St.Pancras to Kings X.

No, you don't. The walk in the open down Pancras Road is actually 300
yards, not 500.

--
Richard J.

James Farrar February 13th 05 05:53 PM

On 13 Feb 2005 18:19:14 GMT, Huge wrote:

"Richard J." writes:
Huge wrote:
Mrs Redboots writes:
Ian Jelf wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 12 Feb 2005:

In message , Paul
Corfield writes
Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother
with attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow
the occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10%
of what you're on about discourage you.

You're generous, Ian - I would have said they knew about 1%!

I sure as **** know how far it is from St.Pancras to Kings X.

No, you don't. The walk in the open down Pancras Road is actually 300
yards, not 500.

Typical transport weenie; much rather split hairs than address actual
issues.

Translation: "I was wrong".

Richard J. February 13th 05 08:59 PM

Huge wrote:
"Richard J." writes:
Huge wrote:
Mrs Redboots writes:
Ian Jelf wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 12 Feb 2005:

In message , Paul
Corfield writes
Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother
with attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow
the occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10%
of what you're on about discourage you.

You're generous, Ian - I would have said they knew about 1%!

I sure as **** know how far it is from St.Pancras to Kings X.

No, you don't. The walk in the open down Pancras Road is actually
300 yards, not 500.

Typical transport weenie; much rather split hairs than address
actual issues.

You were the one who boasted that you "sure as ****" knew the distance.
If you think an overestimate of 67% is splitting hairs, your judgement
is not to be trusted.

To the OP: Pay no attention to what the transport weenies tell you.
They live in some bizarre world where a delay is an opportunity to
be ecstatic about being on a train, a long and inconvenient walk an
opportunity to admire the architecture of St. Pancras and they'd
*much* rather attack me than bother about real issues; it's so much
easier.

You've conveniently forgotten that Paul Corfield actually said "there
are significant construction works at Kings Cross so there may be some
more hassle opting for that route." Also that you suggested Gatwick to
a poster who said he'd got the option of Luton or Stansted.

By the way, you never told us what your job is. You're not ashamed of
it, are you?

--
Richard J.

Dave Arquati February 14th 05 09:27 PM

Ian F. wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

The intelligent majority find your contributions extremely helpful and
useful.

Agreed. Carry on posting, Paul.

That said, St. Pancras is a mess at present and a real schlep from Kings
Cross. The advice to the OP to stick to Stansted is fair.

What have you all got against West Hampstead? :-) I know it's a short
walk down the road, but for airport-to-Westminster can it really be beaten?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Aidan Stanger February 15th 05 05:36 AM

Huge wrote:

Ian Jelf writes:

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow the
occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10% of what
you're on about discourage you.

So, your bigotry somehow distorts spacetime and means that people
arriving at St.Pancras *don't* have to drag their suitcases 500 yards
in the ****ing rain to wait outside Kings X until the Tube has cleared
sufficiently?

What happened to the ramp down from St.Pancras directly into the Tube
station?

Ian F. February 15th 05 07:07 AM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

What have you all got against West Hampstead? :-)

1. It's in north London.
2. Er...
3. ...that's it.

;-)

I know it's a short
walk down the road, but for airport-to-Westminster can it really be

beaten?

I wasn't sure if the OP meant he was going to Westminster itself or the
Westminster area - maybe Westminster station is not best for him. If it is,
then I guess you're right.

Ian

Dave Arquati February 15th 05 12:09 PM

Ian F. wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

What have you all got against West Hampstead? :-)

1. It's in north London.
2. Er...
3. ...that's it.

;-)

I know it's a short
walk down the road, but for airport-to-Westminster can it really be

beaten?

I wasn't sure if the OP meant he was going to Westminster itself or the
Westminster area - maybe Westminster station is not best for him. If it is,
then I guess you're right.

If he's heading to the Victoria end of Westminster, the Victoria line
would theoretically be more useful, but also has platforms the furthest
walk from St Pancras.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Richard J. February 15th 05 01:42 PM

Aidan Stanger wrote:
Huge wrote:

Ian Jelf writes:

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow
the occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10%
of what you're on about discourage you.

So, your bigotry somehow distorts spacetime and means that people
arriving at St.Pancras *don't* have to drag their suitcases 500
yards in the ****ing rain to wait outside Kings X until the Tube
has cleared sufficiently?

What happened to the ramp down from St.Pancras directly into the
Tube station?

If you mean the Tube exit from the new interim St Pancras, it's
escalators rather than a ramp, and it leads directly to a hole in the
ground that will become the Northern Ticket Hall. There's a report on
the BBC today* that says the government have approved the funding of
this, so it will eventually be provided. Actually the BBC report is a
right mess, failing to distinguish between the Northern Ticket Hall of
the Tube station and a new ticket hall for King's Cross mainline
station, which would enable the grotty single-storey buildings between
the train shed and Euston Road to be removed. Whether that is part of
the £400M plan is not clear.

* http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4266559.stm

--
Richard J.

Roland Perry February 17th 05 07:17 AM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

In message , at 17:06:04 on
Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Aidan Stanger remarked:
What happened to the ramp down from St.Pancras directly into the Tube
station?

It was closed about a year ago when they started refurbishing the old
part of the station. St Pancras is no longer there - the trains depart
from a new concrete and glass monstrosity they've built a five minute
walk (with no cover for bad weather) to the north.

Paul February 18th 05 09:31 AM

Pete wrote:
I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean easier/faster
and/or cheaper.

TIA.

I'd choose Luton. The Stansted Express is often crowded, does not have
adequate space for passenger's luggage and the trains are frequently
vandalised by Essex yobs. None of these problems on the Thameslink.

I've also found the wait for baggage longer at Stansted Airport, but I
may just have been unlucky.

Tristán White February 18th 05 01:52 PM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:57:07 +0100, "Pete" wrote:

I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean easier/faster
and/or cheaper.

TIA.

Stanstead definitely. You also have a very cheap bus service, it's £7
from Stratford (which is a 5 minute train ride from the city). Takes
about an hour during the day (varies on traffic) and no more than 40
minutes in the middle of the night. Runs all day/night too, so you can
make a 6 a.m. flight without any problem.

informer February 19th 05 07:26 AM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

Solar Penguin" wrote
Yeah - that makes all the difference. The luton shuttle bus makes timing
your journey difficult. Also, there are no "Luton Express" services

(yet),
so you have to use regular trains, and that involves making sure it stops

at
the right station, and whether it's a fast train, or a stopping service

(get
the wrong one, and you've added 20/30 mins to your trip).

But the Stansted Express takes longer to get to London than the all stopping
Luton service and takes twice as long as the MML non stop service

Roland Perry February 19th 05 07:37 AM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

In message , at 08:26:11 on Sat, 19
Feb 2005, informer remarked:

But the Stansted Express takes longer to get to London than the all stopping
Luton service and takes twice as long as the MML non stop service

The Stansted train runs rather more often than the MML.

Dave Arquati February 19th 05 09:25 AM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:26:11 on Sat, 19
Feb 2005, informer remarked:

But the Stansted Express takes longer to get to London than the all
stopping
Luton service and takes twice as long as the MML non stop service

The Stansted train runs rather more often than the MML.

But he does have a point about the all-stations service to Luton; it's
not actually faster than the Stansted Express, but at 47 minutes versus
44 or 46 minutes, there's not much of a difference.

I'm still backing Luton :-)

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Ian F. February 19th 05 10:39 AM

Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

I'm still backing Luton :-)

You are Eric Morecambe AICMFP.

;-)

Ian

Michael Hoffman February 19th 05 10:42 AM

Dave Arquati wrote:
But he does have a point about the all-stations service to Luton; it's
not actually faster than the Stansted Express, but at 47 minutes versus
44 or 46 minutes, there's not much of a difference.

But... the bus! What about the bus you have to take to get to Luton
Airport Parkway?

;-)
--
Michael Hoffman

Dave Arquati February 19th 05 02:34 PM

Michael Hoffman wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

But he does have a point about the all-stations service to Luton; it's
not actually faster than the Stansted Express, but at 47 minutes
versus 44 or 46 minutes, there's not much of a difference.

But... the bus! What about the bus you have to take to get to Luton
Airport Parkway?

;-)

Actually, it's quite fun standing on the bus winding its way down the
hill and round the roundabouts to the station. Plus anything that's free
can't be that bad... :-)

On a slightly serious note, I've found the shuttle bus to be pretty good
- it runs all day and connects to the night Thameslink trains too, and
there's almost always one waiting to pick up passengers as one doesn't
leave until the one behind arrives.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7