Old February 18th 05, 02:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default [OT] 4x4 cars on London streets

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:36:35 +0100, Guy Perry wrote:

Short question: what's the sense in comfort if we knowingly ruin our
environment?

Comfort feels nice, and the environment is so big that one person isn't
going to make much difference. That may not be sense, but it is reality.
Since Margaret Thatcher undermined the idea of society in the 1980's,
competition, rather than co-operation, has been the model. Sadly.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683618.html
(Class 100 dmu car 51127 and 309 612 at Colchester in 1980)

Old February 18th 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote the following in:

Dan Gravell wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 16 Feb 2005:

Picking up on the original point, my position is that the car is
still overused given PT provision in London. I consider that in
many cases people are too lazy, or simply do not make a conscious
decision to use PT, as if they have some kind of logical reasoning
limit. I come to this conclusion witnessing the chronic congestion
caused almost entirely by private motor vehicle users in South
London.

And there are some people who are simply too scared to use public
transport, reckoning that they'll be mugged, robbed, raped or
otherwise inconvenienced whenever they use it. I know a young
woman of 18 whose mother has simply never allowed her to use
public transport in her entire life, which I find very shocking.
But Dad is a policeman, and Mother says that "Dad tells them" all
the dreadful things that go on

You have to admire the logic in that, it's like a doctor saying
"there's a lot of illness around, it seems like most of the people I
meet at work are sick!".

--
message by Robin May.
Drinking Special Brew will get you drunk in much the same way that

http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Old February 19th 05, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Guy Perry wrote:

Guaranteed a seat, control of the climate, decent quality stereo and
peace & quiet, as well as door to door transport

So you could say a thoroughly US-american attitude

Not at all... I think you'll find that preferring comfort to discomfort and
convenience to inconvenience prevails in most parts of the developed world,
and much of the developing world as well. Not sure why you regard this as a
'US-american attitude' - another agenda bubbling to the surface I suspect

Short question: what's the sense in comfort if we knowingly ruin our
environment? Unless proven otherwise combustion engines cause massive
pollution which will cause future generations to live in less quality
than we do - a bit selfish I'd say.

Very... But I don't have a problem with that :-)

Old February 24th 05, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Late response. Sorry.

Roland Perry wrote:
Most of the commuter rail in and out of London is at bursting point, and
has nowhere to scale *to*. It is at maximum capacity.

Much not most. There may not be much capacity for extra trains, but
there's plenty for making them longer. Last I looked, plenty of
trains, even at peak times, are 4 or even 3 cars.

There is a capacity problem on the tube - but even then mainly in
zones 1 and 2.

Colin McKenzie

Old February 25th 05, 04:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:38:03 +0000, Colin McKenzie wrote:

There may not be much capacity for extra trains, but
there's plenty for making them longer. Last I looked, plenty of
trains, even at peak times, are 4 or even 3 cars.

I didn't realise the title was about running 16-car trains ;-)

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12161563.html
(A red Parcels Bubble 55995 at London Liverpool Street in 1991)