London Banter

-   -   South Kensington and the Museums (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2771-south-kensington-museums.html)

[email protected] February 14th 05 06:16 PM

South Kensington and the Museums

Does anyone know why most of the museums in South Kensington close at
some time between 1750 and 1800?

Particularly this week (half term) this causes tremendous pressure on
the tube station (with South Ken being closed for a period this
evening). Wouldn't it be advantageous to stagger the closing and / or
not close at 6 when many people leave work and a substatial part of a
university finishes lectures?

Also, when South Ken re-opened why were famalies being waved through
and normal commuters being shouted at by staff? All this served to do
was cause a further back log as kids slowly walked down the stairs
accross the whole width. Lets not forget a family travelcard costs
less than an off peak ODTC and much much less than a peak day
travelcard. So why did the tube give priority to the non daily
commuters and why are cheap tickets valid in the evening peak?

--
Chris

Dave Newt February 14th 05 07:16 PM

wrote:
Does anyone know why most of the museums in South Kensington close at
some time between 1750 and 1800?

Particularly this week (half term) this causes tremendous pressure on
the tube station (with South Ken being closed for a period this
evening). Wouldn't it be advantageous to stagger the closing and / or
not close at 6 when many people leave work and a substatial part of a
university finishes lectures?

The reverse question is valid too - I often see *dozens* of potential
visitors stuck outside the museums at 9am trying to work out how to get
in, not realising that they don't open until 10am (and if they want a
coffee in the meantime, they have to walk all the way back towards the
station again too).

Presumably, it's all down to the amount of money the museums have (and,
since they are free now, this must be a bigger issue than ever?), but
your suggestion is spot-on - if ever I left work 20 mins late, at ten to
six, it was a nightmare getting down to the station.

[email protected] February 14th 05 08:20 PM

Dave Newt wrote:
The reverse question is valid too - I often see *dozens* of potential

visitors stuck outside the museums at 9am trying to work out how to

get
in, not realising that they don't open until 10am (and if they want a

I wonder how many potential visitors will be outside the science museum
on Wednesday when it's closed due to strike

Chris Tolley February 14th 05 08:57 PM

On 14 Feb 2005 11:16:03 -0800, wrote:

Does anyone know why most of the museums in South Kensington close at
some time between 1750 and 1800?

a) because they have done so for a long time.
b) because that's a reasonable time that most folk can understand.
c) because it means people don't have to work unusually long days.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9680301.html
(76 027 at Wath in 1978 - my sole decent picture of a 76 in service)

Dave Newt February 14th 05 09:04 PM

wrote:
Dave Newt wrote:

The reverse question is valid too - I often see *dozens* of potential

visitors stuck outside the museums at 9am trying to work out how to

get

in, not realising that they don't open until 10am (and if they want a

I wonder how many potential visitors will be outside the science museum
on Wednesday when it's closed due to strike

First I've heard of it, so I would guess plenty!

[email protected] February 15th 05 07:02 AM

wrote:
[...]

But think how many people who drive to work are blessing that it is
half term. Surely just as if people who live near Wembley, Wimbledon,
Arsenal or wherever learn to adjust their journeys on match days, at
half term commuters have to allow longer for their train/underground
journer. No point in blaming the children.

Kevin

[email protected] February 16th 05 02:14 PM

wrote:
But think how many people who drive to work are blessing that it is
half term. Surely just as if people who live near Wembley, Wimbledon,

It'd be nice if they put more Wimbledon tubes one when Fulham / Chelsea
are playing - it's more packed than usual even in the late evening rush
hour (7pm onwards)

Arsenal or wherever learn to adjust their journeys on match days, at
half term commuters have to allow longer for their train/underground
journer. No point in blaming the children.

Kevin

I wasn't blaming the children. I was suggesting the museums stagger
their closing times (e.g. Natural History museum could close at 1730
and the science museum at 1800). I was also irritated that
day-trippers, rather than the every day commuters, were getting
priority at the station during rush hour.

Chris Tolley February 16th 05 05:14 PM

On 16 Feb 2005 07:14:48 -0800, wrote:

I was also irritated that day-trippers, rather than the every day
commuters, were getting priority at the station during rush hour.

Why is that irritating?
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p11218102.html
(Class 460 Gatwick Express emu 06 at South Croydon on 15 Jan 2005)

Roland Perry February 17th 05 07:12 AM

South Kensington and the Museums

In message , at 21:57:08 on
Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Chris Tolley remarked:
Does anyone know why most of the museums in South Kensington close at
some time between 1750 and 1800?

a) because they have done so for a long time.
b) because that's a reasonable time that most folk can understand.
c) because it means people don't have to work unusually long days.

d) Because they've never heard of flexitime.

Roland Perry February 17th 05 07:15 AM

South Kensington and the Museums

In message .com, at
07:14:48 on Wed, 16 Feb 2005, remarked:
I was suggesting the museums stagger
their closing times (e.g. Natural History museum could close at 1730
and the science museum at 1800).

Wouldn't that just mean a wave of people all trying to visit the Science
museum for half an hour?

I was also irritated that day-trippers, rather than the every day
commuters, were getting priority at the station during rush hour.

So you'd rather their one-off experience of Public Transport was a
nightmare, and they drove next time?