London Banter

-   -   Speed Camera Avoidance (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2779-speed-camera-avoidance.html)

redtube February 18th 05 09:40 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

So does anyone have any experience with this product? or similar kind of
thing. And No this posting is not a spam, althopugh the product IS - its a
genuine mail from me to try get an overall picture of whether it is a waste
of money or not : http://hamlin.sdlkfjdlkjstown.com/aboutpb.php
regards
Redtube

redtube February 18th 05 10:04 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"redtube" wrote in message
So does anyone have any experience with this product? or similar kind of
thing.

Actually I just found a UK link to same product: 25 quid Is it money worth
spent or not?
Also I presume is illegal if they catch you having sprayed youir plates with
it??
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/photoblocker.htm
regards
Redtube
London

Paul Cummins February 18th 05 10:11 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In article ,
(redtube) wrote:

So does anyone have any experience with this product?

BARGE-POLE!

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Richard J. February 18th 05 10:31 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

redtube wrote:
"redtube" wrote in message
So does anyone have any experience with this product? or similar
kind of thing.

Actually I just found a UK link to same product: 25 quid Is it
money worth spent or not?
Also I presume is illegal if they catch you having sprayed youir
plates with it??
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/photoblocker.htm

Did you read the Sale Conditions?

"2. The product is for off road use only and is of novelty value only.
It may be illegal to use this product on the road.
7. It is illegal to tamper or interfere with your vehicle number plate."
--
Richard J.

Martin Underwood February 18th 05 10:41 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
redtube wrote:
"redtube" wrote in message
So does anyone have any experience with this product? or similar
kind of thing.

Actually I just found a UK link to same product: 25 quid Is it
money worth spent or not?
Also I presume is illegal if they catch you having sprayed youir
plates with it??
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/photoblocker.htm

Did you read the Sale Conditions?

"2. The product is for off road use only and is of novelty value only.
It may be illegal to use this product on the road.
7. It is illegal to tamper or interfere with your vehicle number plate."

I remember at the Birmingham Motor Show a few years ago there was a stand
selling a modified number plate that was designed to prevent celebrities'
number plates from recording on paparazzis' photos. This was round about the
time that speed cameras were being introduced so I asked the salesman about
the legality of this plate. He looked very sheepish, which was sufficient
answer ;-)

Paul Terry February 18th 05 01:21 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In message ,
redtube writes

Actually I just found a UK link to same product: 25 quid Is it money worth
spent or not?

Would you really want to buy something from a company that thinks the
Scottish Highlands are off-shore?

(See Terms & Conditions 1: This product is only for UK inland sale - we
will not ship this to Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands or any
international destination)

--
Paul Terry

Chris Tolley February 18th 05 04:34 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:31:27 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

7. It is illegal to tamper or interfere with your vehicle number plate."

One frequently sees plates that are so filthy that no camera would pick
up any image. Clearly the drivers take this rule very seriously indeed.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632896.html
(33 117 in the middle (yes, middle!) of a train at Weymouth Q in 1989)

Paul Terry February 18th 05 05:53 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In message , Chris Tolley
writes

One frequently sees plates that are so filthy that no camera would pick
up any image.

The most common type of device (GATSO) makes an infra-red image as well
as a photographic one. Neither dirt nor, I suspect, the reflective spray
that is the subject of this thread, will prevent an infra-red image of
the number plate being taken.

--
Paul Terry

redtube February 18th 05 06:38 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message ,
redtube writes

Actually I just found a UK link to same product: 25 quid Is it money

worth
spent or not?

Would you really want to buy something from a company that thinks the
Scottish Highlands are off-shore?

(See Terms & Conditions 1: This product is only for UK inland sale - we
will not ship this to Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands or any
international destination)

--
Paul Terry

I never noticed THAT Paul, how hilarious. Seems the product has the thumbs
down then and doesnt work.
From the other replies it seems its just not a viable product. Thanks for
your replies. Interesting comments.
regards
Redtube

Chris Tolley February 18th 05 09:42 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:53:51 +0000, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Chris Tolley
writes

One frequently sees plates that are so filthy that no camera would pick
up any image.

The most common type of device (GATSO) makes an infra-red image as well
as a photographic one.

I didn't know that. Fascinating.

--
Not a good picture, but certainly an informative one:
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10862746.html

Grizzly February 19th 05 05:07 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

wrote:

redtube wrote:
"redtube" wrote in message
So does anyone have any experience with this product? or similar
kind of thing.

Actually I just found a UK link to same product: 25 quid Is it
money worth spent or not?
Also I presume is illegal if they catch you having sprayed youir
plates with it??
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/photoblocker.htm

Did you read the Sale Conditions?

"2. The product is for off road use only and is of novelty value only.
It may be illegal to use this product on the road.
7. It is illegal to tamper or interfere with your vehicle number plate."

Besides, how would you test it without running the risk of a penalty +
points?

Cheeky February 19th 05 10:35 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:11 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article ,
(redtube) wrote:

So does anyone have any experience with this product?

BARGE-POLE!

On a similar sort of theme - I've noticed quite a few number plates
around here which are pink-ish in colour. Presumably it's an attempt
to achieve this mythical number plate/camera invisibility....
--

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
Please reply to the group

Paul Scott February 19th 05 11:43 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"Cheeky" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:11 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article ,
(redtube) wrote:

So does anyone have any experience with this product?

BARGE-POLE!

On a similar sort of theme - I've noticed quite a few number plates
around here which are pink-ish in colour. Presumably it's an attempt
to achieve this mythical number plate/camera invisibility....
--

How about hanging some luggage over the rear number plate, and not having
one at the front? Of course you would need to buy a motobike first...

Paul Cummins February 19th 05 02:28 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

How about hanging some luggage over the rear number plate, and not
having one at the front? Of course you would need to buy a motobike
first...

Perfectly legal to have a number plate that can't be read by a gatso as
long as it can be seen from directly behind the vehicle at the same
height.

Graeme February 19th 05 02:38 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:53:51 +0000, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Chris Tolley
writes

One frequently sees plates that are so filthy that no camera would pick
up any image.

The most common type of device (GATSO) makes an infra-red image as well
as a photographic one.

I didn't know that. Fascinating.

NOT TRUE.

2 standard colour 35mm exposures using flash illumination. Nothing infrared
involved with Gatsos.

Other systems using Automatic Number Plate Reading Video cameras (such as
SPECS average speed enforcement system) use infrared illumination. Gatso
doesn't.

Adrian February 19th 05 02:54 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

Paul Cummins ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

Perfectly legal to have a number plate that can't be read by a gatso as
long as it can be seen from directly behind the vehicle at the same
height.

You sure about that?

I'm sure that C&U says something about the permissable minimum angles of
view of plates.

loobyloo February 19th 05 03:17 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:43:19 +0000 (UTC), Paul Scott wrote:

How about hanging some luggage over the rear number plate, and not having
one at the front? Of course you would need to buy a motobike first...
Paul

I suppose one radical solution would be to obey the road traffic laws.

--
Cliff Laine, The Old Lard Factory, Lancaster http://www.loobynet.com
* remove any trace of rudeness before you reply *

Jesus says - whoever comes to me
Will never be thirsty

Poster outside Fishergate Baptist Church, Preston

David Splett February 19th 05 04:12 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"loobyloo" wrote in message
I suppose one radical solution would be to obey the road traffic laws.

Indeed. I find it amazing how much time people will devote to avoiding being
caught by speed cameras, surely outweighing any time saved by being able to
drive faster.

It's not hard to avoid being caught by a GATSO or other type of camera, even
if you routinely disregard speed limits.

Paul Cummins February 19th 05 04:28 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In article , (David
Splett) wrote:

Indeed. I find it amazing how much time people will devote to avoiding
being caught by speed cameras, surely outweighing any time saved by
being able to drive faster.

I think it's something to do with the fact that 80% of British dual
carriageways are of a better standard that German Autobahnen, but have
slower, and often unreasonably slower, speed limits.

How am I endangering anyone by doing 80-90 down the M6 at 3am on a clear
morning?

Paul Terry February 19th 05 05:01 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In message , Graeme
writes

NOT TRUE.

2 standard colour 35mm exposures using flash illumination. Nothing infrared
involved with Gatsos.

So are websites such as http://www.termsys.demon.co.uk/gatso.htm wrong
when they claim ...

The photographs taken will be both normal and infra-red. (The
infra-red will 'see' your registration mark when the vehicle is
caked in dirt.) Also, to collect the proof, two photographs are
taken in quick succession, so that the distance travelled can be
seen.

And http://www.benlovejoy.com/speedtrapdetectors.html ... with its
picture of "A forward-facing infra-red Gatso hidden behind a sign"

Gatsometer's own site claims that they make GATSOs "with optional
infra-red flash", but I have no idea if these are used in the UK.

Other systems using Automatic Number Plate Reading Video cameras (such as
SPECS average speed enforcement system) use infrared illumination. Gatso
doesn't.

I believe the Truvelo system also uses I-R.

Basically, if I-R is being used at all, and it certainly appears to be,
then I cannot see how a reflective spray varnish will help to avoid it.

--
Paul Terry

Brimstone February 19th 05 05:14 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

Paul Cummins wrote:
In article , (David
Splett) wrote:

Indeed. I find it amazing how much time people will devote to
avoiding being caught by speed cameras, surely outweighing any time
saved by being able to drive faster.

I think it's something to do with the fact that 80% of British dual
carriageways are of a better standard that German Autobahnen, but have
slower, and often unreasonably slower, speed limits.

How am I endangering anyone by doing 80-90 down the M6 at 3am on a
clear morning?

What has breaking the speed limit got to do with safety?

redtube February 19th 05 05:41 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"loobyloo" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:43:19 +0000 (UTC), Paul Scott wrote:

I suppose one radical solution would be to obey the road traffic laws.

--
Cliff Laine, The Old Lard Factory, Lancaster http://www.loobynet.com
* remove any trace of rudeness before you reply *

Arrrgh listen to old self righteousness Lardface out there, - Obey the road
traffic laws? oh sure and thats why the overwhelming majority of us *real*
people out there find the wretched things things anything but a safety
measure and purely as a device to earn revenue? Easy money in other words.
Most Dual Carriageway speed limits should be removed anyway cos no
pedestrians are involved usually most are barrier proofed with footbridges
or traffic lights these days. So why even HAVE a 50 say for instance
suddenly turn into a 40 or even 30 on a Dual Carriageway with perfectly good
barriers to safeguard the pedestrians? Reason? to catch the motorists out,
thats what.

redtube

Martin Underwood February 19th 05 05:56 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"redtube" wrote in message

"loobyloo" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, a lot of main roads near where I live (Oxfordshire) have recently been
downgraded to 50 (or are about to be downgraded) "to reduce the number of
traffic accidents". This is solving the right problem in the wrong way: to
avoid collisions, you need to penalise the person who *causes* the accident,
typically a driver who is on a minor road who pulls out into fast-moving
traffic without assessing its speed or the pedestrian who crosses the road
without regard for the traffic, rather than penalising (by imposing a
draconian speed limit) the driver who is in the right and who has priority.

Children are a special case, and a 40, 30 or even 20 limit is sensible (with
the level set according to the amount of segregation between pavement and
road) but otherwise the onus is on the pedestrians or the drivers on side
roads to make sure that they do not cause accidents. Any fool can reduce
*the effect of* accidents by cutting speed limits, but driver/pedestrian
training is the clever solution.

The A44 Oxford-Evesham road and the A329 Stadhampton to Thame road are cases
in point: the main road where it's safe to do 60 or 70 on the straight carry
a 50 limit, whereas the narrow twisty country lanes leading off on either
side, where it's often not safe to go above 40, carry a 60 limit.

The A415 Abingdon to Berinsfield road has a 30 mph limit almost all the way
from Clifton Hampden to Berinsfield, where I would judge 40 on hte bends and
60 on the straights is sensible. There are long-term road-works further west
while a cycle track is being made which mostly merit a reduction from 60 to
40 at worst (apart from the rare times when half the road is coned off) but
a blanket 30 limit has been imposed. Driving at 30 on a road that previously
carried a 60 limit is very hard. Try as I might, I can't keep much below 40
and that feels as if I'm crawling along.

Speed limits should be set according to the highest speed that it is safe to
drive - a 60 limit on a single-track road with harepin bends is simply
taking the ****.

I reckon that the speed limit should be set at the speed that a mythical
"safe, competant driver" would choose to drive at if there were no speed
limits: it's when that driver would choose to drive at 20 mph or more above
the actual limit that you get problems with non-compliance. Penalise the
serious offenders who think it's safe to drive at 100 on a single
carriageway or 60 in a built-up area with parked cars and the likelihood of
children emerging from behind them; don't penalise those who drive at 40 in
a 30 zone where there is good visibility of hazards.

Mrs Redboots February 19th 05 06:01 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

Paul Cummins wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 19 Feb 2005:

I think it's something to do with the fact that 80% of British dual
carriageways are of a better standard that German Autobahnen, but have
slower, and often unreasonably slower, speed limits.

Well, German Autobahnen may have a speed limit of 130 kph, but in my
experience one can almost never go at it - either there's too much
traffic, or there are road works, or it's raining.....

French autoroutes, now..... and you get a much better drive quality - I
can often read on an autoroute, where I certainly can't on the M1 (I've
tried!)

How am I endangering anyone by doing 80-90 down the M6 at 3am on a clear
morning?

Do they actually *have* speed cameras on the M6? Mostly, I've only seen
them on parts of the motorway where the speed is limited to 70 mph for
whatever reason.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Paul Cummins February 19th 05 06:01 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

I believe the Truvelo system also uses I-R.

Basically, if I-R is being used at all, and it certainly appears to be,
then I cannot see how a reflective spray varnish will help to avoid it.

Truvelo must use Infra red, because to have a forward facing flash would
be dangerous.

Mrs Redboots February 19th 05 06:02 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

redtube wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 19 Feb 2005:

Reason? to catch the motorists out,
thats what.

Yeah, or perfectly good roads into Brighton, quite safe at 40 mph,
suddenly turning into 30 mph without even telling you until you get
flashed & penalty points (this one's a very sore point in our family!).

Martin Underwood February 19th 05 06:19 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
redtube wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 19 Feb 2005:

Reason? to catch the motorists out,
thats what.

Yeah, or perfectly good roads into Brighton, quite safe at 40 mph,
suddenly turning into 30 mph without even telling you until you get
flashed & penalty points (this one's a very sore point in our family!).

Presumably there must be 30 signs to make the speed limit enforceable, but
they may not be very obvious.

I'd like to see much greater use of 300, 200, 100-yard countdown markers in
advance of speed limits, especially where the change of speed limit is 20 or
more mph - a sort of "Morpeth rules" for cars. With advance warning of
limits (especially where the sign is round a corner or hidden by a hedge
until you're very close) you can plan ahead and simply lift off the power to
slow down gently rather than having to brake - I always try to slow down by
coming off the power if I can, but that's the advanced driver in me ;-)

Adrian February 19th 05 06:32 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

Martin Underwood ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

[...]

applause

Mrs Redboots February 19th 05 06:45 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 19 Feb 2005:

Presumably there must be 30 signs to make the speed limit enforceable, but
they may not be very obvious.

I think so - I always do keep an eye out for such things when I'm in the
car (as a non-driver, it's easier for me to navigate & warn of cameras,
speed limits, etc) and I certainly never saw it.

I'd like to see much greater use of 300, 200, 100-yard countdown markers in
advance of speed limits, especially where the change of speed limit is 20 or
more mph - a sort of "Morpeth rules" for cars. With advance warning of
limits (especially where the sign is round a corner or hidden by a hedge
until you're very close) you can plan ahead and simply lift off the power to
slow down gently rather than having to brake - I always try to slow down by
coming off the power if I can, but that's the advanced driver in me ;-)

I think most people who have been driving for any length of time do, no?

Martin Underwood February 19th 05 08:21 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

[...]

Actually no. Following behind cars, I very often see them brake where I
don't - not because I take the bend any faster but because I've planned
ahead. When I was a passenger with one driver recently I was surreptitiously
watching and his right foot was permanently on either the accelerator or the
brake - he never lifted off the power and just let the car slow down by
friction. Admittedly it was in an automatic and you get less engine braking
with them, but even so... I dread to think how quickly he goes through brake
pads :-(

Chris Tolley February 19th 05 09:32 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:56:48 -0000, Martin Underwood wrote:

I reckon that the speed limit should be set at the speed that a
"safe, competant driver" would choose to drive at

I entirely agree - if, at the same time, you ensure that all the people
who do not meet this standard are disallowed from driving on the said
roads.

Stimpy February 19th 05 10:24 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

Chris Tolley wrote:
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:56:48 -0000, Martin Underwood wrote:

I reckon that the speed limit should be set at the speed that a
"safe, competant driver" would choose to drive at

I entirely agree - if, at the same time, you ensure that all the
people who do not meet this standard are disallowed from driving on
the said roads.

I've still not heard a compelling reason why mandatory periodic re-testing
isn't a good idea

Chris Tolley February 19th 05 11:21 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:24:37 -0000, Stimpy wrote:

I've still not heard a compelling reason why mandatory periodic re-testing
isn't a good idea

Logistics? If one presumes that people take a test and then drive for 40
years on average, then it follows that he testing system has to cope
with 2.5% of the drivers per annum. Give people a test, say every 5
years, and it will have to cope with 20%. That's an awful lot of
appointments to fit in.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632911.html
(Skye seen through mist and low cloud from Kyle of Lochalsh in 1999)

Stimpy February 19th 05 11:43 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

Chris Tolley wrote:
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:24:37 -0000, Stimpy wrote:

I've still not heard a compelling reason why mandatory periodic
re-testing isn't a good idea

Logistics? If one presumes that people take a test and then drive for
40 years on average, then it follows that he testing system has to
cope
with 2.5% of the drivers per annum. Give people a test, say every 5
years, and it will have to cope with 20%. That's an awful lot of
appointments to fit in.

Yes but I'm not sure that's a *compelling* reason. If the standard of
driving is as bad as we're led to believe then presumably the cost of repeat
testing would be offset to some degree by the reduced consequential cost of
accidents.

If we can academically test all 16 and 18 year olds every year then surely
the logistics involved in testing (say) 4 million drivers (?) a year aren't
insurmountable

Roland Perry February 20th 05 05:44 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In message , at
19:19:06 on Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Martin Underwood
remarked:
Yeah, or perfectly good roads into Brighton, quite safe at 40 mph,
suddenly turning into 30 mph without even telling you until you get
flashed & penalty points (this one's a very sore point in our family!).

Presumably there must be 30 signs to make the speed limit enforceable, but
they may not be very obvious.

What has happened in some places is they've removed a section of "40"
road, between two sections of "30". So you don't have a 30 sign to miss
seeing.

Sometimes they'll put up signs saying the road is no longer 40, but
sometimes they won't.

Peter Sumner February 20th 05 08:44 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:19:06 -0000, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Yeah, or perfectly good roads into Brighton, quite safe at 40 mph,
suddenly turning into 30 mph without even telling you until you get
flashed & penalty points (this one's a very sore point in our family!).

Presumably there must be 30 signs to make the speed limit enforceable, but
they may not be very obvious.

No the speed limit on roads with streetlights is 30mph unless there
are signs to indicate otherwise, I'd expect advanced drivers to know
that :-}

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103

--
Peter Sumner

Paul Cummins February 20th 05 08:49 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In article ,
(Peter Sumner) wrote:

No the speed limit on roads with streetlights is 30mph unless there
are signs to indicate otherwise,

Hmmm...

The Midlands Urban Motorway has streetlights every 100 metres, and no road
signs saying it's a 70 limit...

So that rule of thumb doesn't work.

loobyloo February 20th 05 09:15 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:56:48 -0000, Martin Underwood wrote:

Yes, a lot of main roads near where I live (Oxfordshire) have recently been
downgraded to 50 (or are about to be downgraded) "to reduce the number of
traffic accidents". This is solving the right problem in the wrong way: to
avoid collisions, you need to penalise the person who *causes* the accident,
typically a driver who is on a minor road who pulls out into fast-moving
traffic without assessing its speed or the pedestrian who crosses the road
without regard for the traffic, rather than penalising (by imposing a
draconian speed limit) the driver who is in the right and who has priority.

I'd agree with that if it weren't for the fact that one party (the
pedestrian) is an entire magnitude more vulnerable than the other. One is
carrying round has a set of fragile bones at a maximum of about 4mph, the
other several hundredweight of speeding metal. If you are in charge of such
an object then I think you should accept that the restrictions placed upon
the motorist are going to be greater than those placed on pedestrians.

Children are a special case, and a 40, 30 or even 20 limit is sensible (with
the level set according to the amount of segregation between pavement and
road) but otherwise the onus is on the pedestrians or the drivers on side
roads to make sure that they do not cause accidents. Any fool can reduce
*the effect of* accidents by cutting speed limits, but driver/pedestrian
training is the clever solution.

I'd be in favour of that. As someone else has said later in teh thread,
there's not much post-test training available for drivers.

it's when that driver would choose to drive at 20 mph or more above
the actual limit that you get problems with non-compliance. Penalise the
serious offenders who think it's safe to drive at 100 on a single
carriageway or 60 in a built-up area with parked cars and the likelihood of
children emerging from behind them; don't penalise those who drive at 40 in
a 30 zone where there is good visibility of hazards.

But then, you could argue that you need to set a deliberately cautious
speed limit, to take account of lapses of concentration, mechanical
failure, unpredictable road conditions, and oncoming idiots. The number of
times I've had close shaves on my bike on roads like the ones you've
described, where I'm at a total loss as to why, in perfect conditions, and
wearing my fetching flourescent jacket, a driver has obviously failed to
see me until the last minute.

--
Cliff Laine, The Old Lard Factory, Lancaster http://www.loobynet.com
* remove any trace of rudeness before you reply *

Using words well is a social virtue. Use 'fortuitous' once more to
mean 'fortunate' and you move an English word another step towards
the dustbin. If your mistake took hold, no one who valued clarity
would be able to use the word again.

John Whale

Roland Perry February 20th 05 09:36 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In message , at 09:44:03 on
Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Peter Sumner
remarked:
Presumably there must be 30 signs to make the speed limit enforceable, but
they may not be very obvious.

No the speed limit on roads with streetlights is 30mph unless there
are signs to indicate otherwise, I'd expect advanced drivers to know
that :-}

No, that's a common fallacy. The streetlights have to be less than a
particular distance apart, and for a minimum distance.

It's not very easy for the average motorist to benchmark short stretches
of streetlights (eg) at intersections on an otherwise de-restricted
road. But you can be sure that most times the limit doesn't suddenly
drop to 30mph for a couple of hundred yards.

Brimstone February 20th 05 09:53 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

loobyloo wrote:

But then, you could argue that you need to set a deliberately cautious
speed limit, to take account of lapses of concentration, mechanical
failure, unpredictable road conditions, and oncoming idiots. The
number of times I've had close shaves on my bike on roads like the
ones you've described, where I'm at a total loss as to why, in
perfect conditions, and wearing my fetching flourescent jacket, a
driver has obviously failed to
see me until the last minute.

A friend's brother-in-law heading home from work one night was similarly
attired with lights etc so as to make himself as visible as possible, wasn't
seen by a lorry driver and is now on the great cycle lane in the sky.