Old February 25th 05, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Train Fire at Victoria

Richard J. wrote:
wrote:
Don't have a f**king go at me.

If you feel that the phrases "Don't you feel that ..." and "I

suggest"
have that interpretation, then I think you're a tad over-sensitive.

At 8.10 this morning a co worker announced that the front coach
of his train went up in flames at Victoria. The office is at
Vauxhall so I guess that this happened between 7.45 and 7.55.
And you are saying why didn't any news organisation pick it up.
It had happened in the previous 15 minutes.

I'm saying that at 14:58 (the time of my previous post in this

thread),
nearly 7 hours later, there was no sign of any news report on the BBC

or
Evening Standard web sites, or Google news, nor was there any sign of
service disruption earlier today on the National Rail site, which

would
have occurred with a major explosion/fire incident.

You can't report any rail related incident now for fear of setting
the train spotters off on one.

If you post on utl, don't complain if people want to know more, or if
your "incident" appears to have been grossly exaggerated.

Have you asked your colleague what really happened yet?

--
Richard J.

Well if it wasn't in the Evening Standard or on the BBC or on Usenet
then it didn't happen. I will inform my co-worker that you think he is
a liar. Why do you who wasn't there presume to know more than my
co-worker who had just got off the train.

Old February 25th 05, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
wrote:
Well if it wasn't in the Evening Standard or on the BBC or on Usenet
then it didn't happen. I will inform my co-worker that you think he is
a liar.

I don't think he is a liar; I do think he was wrong.

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver
Old February 25th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
Well if it wasn't in the Evening Standard or on the BBC or on Usenet
then it didn't happen. I will inform my co-worker that you think he
is a liar.

I don't think he is a liar; I do think he was wrong.

At least guilty of gross exaggeration.

Old February 25th 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

Well if it wasn't in the Evening Standard or on the BBC or on Usenet
then it didn't happen. I will inform my co-worker that you think he is
a liar. Why do you who wasn't there presume to know more than my
co-worker who had just got off the train.

Because many people on this group have access to far more detailed
information about the operational railway. For example, several posters work
on the national network and have access to internal systems or direct
contacts with major station managers, employees and/or depot staff in the
areas concerned and have reported no incident of this nature.

There may well have been a small fire, possibly caused by combustible
rubbish discarded by idle passengers who couldn't be bothered to use the
litter bins provided on the trains or elsewhere or to take their litter away
with them . To imply that there was a major conflagration is nonsense, the
internal reporting requirements of such an event, together with systems for
delay attribution etc. would be require an incident of that magnitude to be
highlighted. Traction current in the affected area would require to be
isolated (which would be reported) whilst an investigation took place. The
fact that there is no trace of this event does not imply that nothing
occurred, merely that the seriousness of it was grossly exaggerated.

Old February 25th 05, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Could this possibly be a simple case of some idiot chucking a banger down by
the buffers?

Result would be a big bang echoing around the station, little or no damage
and nothing for the papers to report.

A slightly vivid imagination could easily turn that into an exploding train.

Old February 25th 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:38:49 -0000, Vernon wrote:

Could this possibly be a simple case of some idiot chucking a banger down by
the buffers?

Result would be a big bang echoing around the station, little or no damage
and nothing for the papers to report.

A slightly vivid imagination could easily turn that into an exploding train.

Let's hope that there's no-one around with a real gift for invention,
then ;-)

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9925977.html
(319 381 descending the 1 in 27 leaving London Blackfriars in 2004)