Old March 8th 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fantasy bus routes

Well, there should be more of them - it's overwhelmingly the best night
bus in SW London. Better still, split the route, and have a portion
running non-stop on the A3 from Wandsworth to Kingston Vale :-D

Old March 8th 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Rupert Candy" wrote in message
oups.com...
John Rowland wrote:

Many parts of London would kill for the rail network Streatham has.

Really? Which ones? Apart from Hackney, I can't really think of any...

Belmont (Harrow), Belmont (Sutton), Staples Corner, Edmonton, Chingford,
Roehampton, Blackfen, Shooters Hill, Woolwich, the list is too long, in
fact, most places in London belong on the list.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 9th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

Many parts of London would kill for the rail network Streatham

has.

Really? Which ones? Apart from Hackney, I can't really think of

any...

Belmont (Harrow), Belmont (Sutton), Staples Corner, Edmonton,

Chingford,
Roehampton, Blackfen, Shooters Hill, Woolwich, the list is too long,

in
fact, most places in London belong on the list.

But "most places in London" are on the Tube (though admittedly not many
of the examples you give). I imagine most inhabitants of Streatham
would gladly swap their three stations for an extension of the Victoria
Line...

Old March 9th 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rupert Candy wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 9 Mar 2005:

But "most places in London" are on the Tube (though admittedly not many
of the examples you give). I imagine most inhabitants of Streatham
would gladly swap their three stations for an extension of the Victoria
Line...

So would certain inhabitants of Brixton who go to Streatham 5-6 times
per week!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old March 10th 05, 01:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 3 Mar 2005:

Would improved frequencies on overground rail lines or the mooted
extension of the Victoria line to Herne Hill help matters?

What would *really* help is if they could run direct trains between
Brixton and Streatham. The infrastructure is there, but "it's not a
route", so you have to change at Herne Hill.... Sigh....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Furthermore, there should be paths for such a service with the huge
gaps needed in front of the fast trains due to the line only being
double track to Shortlands.

Old March 29th 05, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"E. Zackatackali" wrote in message
If you had the power to add/change/remove bus routes, what would you do?

I would reinstate the 726 to run its original complete route from Heathrow
to Dartford, and also extend it to Bluewater. I would increase the appalling
current frequency to something more sensible like every 30 minutes.

It is shocking that TfL is trying to kill off this route. They cut it from
Dartford to Bromley, and within the next week or two it will only run from
Croydon to Heathrow.

Keith Spink
InfoTransport (http://www.infotransport.co.uk/)
Transport Images (http://www.transportimages.com/)

Old March 30th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Keith Spink wrote:

I would reinstate the 726 to run its original
complete route from Heathrow to Dartford, and
also extend it to Bluewater. I would increase
the appalling current frequency to something
more sensible like every 30 minutes.

The problem with making the route even longer
than it already is is of course that it will
make the reliability even worse than it already
is.

Wouldn't it be far better to run 2, 3 or even 4
express routes over the Bluewater - Heathrow
route with generous overlaps and better
frequency. Thus if buses were stuck on Hampton
Court Road for 40 minutes (not unheard of) then
people in Croydon would still have an express
route to Bromley.

And have the routes run by someone, anyone,
other than Tellings Golden "worst bus company
in London" Miller.

If you had the power to add/change/remove bus
routes, what would you do?

Re route the E3 to stay as far away from Acton
High Street as possible.

Run a shuttle bus with lots of luggage space
and a decent frequency from Feltham NR to all
the Heathrow terminals, thus making the Feltham
Railair a reality rather than another name for
the 285 minibus.

Matt Ashby
www.mattashby.com

Old March 31st 05, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Route 726 is being replaced by route X26 on the 16th April
operating between Croydon & Heathrow tfl website says

X26
New daily limited stop service between East Croydon Station and
Heathrow Airport Central, via Sutton, Kingston, Teddington and Hatton
Cross, partially replacing route 726.
Buses will stop only at the following locations: East Croydon Station, West
Croydon Station, Wallington Green, Carshalton High Street, Sutton,
Cheam Broadway, North Cheam, Worcester Park Station, New Malden,
Kingston, Teddington, Hatton Cross, Heathrow Airport Central.
To run hourly, operated by fully-accessible single-deck buses.
Service to be operated by Metrobus.

I would reinstate the 726 to run its original
complete route from Heathrow to Dartford, and
also extend it to Bluewater. I would increase
the appalling current frequency to something
more sensible like every 30 minutes.

The problem with making the route even longer
than it already is is of course that it will
make the reliability even worse than it already
is.

Posted with NewsLeecher v2.1 Beta 1
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Old April 4th 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matt Ashby" wrote in message
ups.com...
Keith Spink wrote:

I would reinstate the 726 to run its original
complete route from Heathrow to Dartford, and
also extend it to Bluewater. I would increase
the appalling current frequency to something
more sensible like every 30 minutes.

The problem with making the route even longer
than it already is is of course that it will
make the reliability even worse than it already
is.

Wouldn't it be far better to run 2, 3 or even 4
express routes over the Bluewater - Heathrow
route with generous overlaps and better
frequency. Thus if buses were stuck on Hampton
Court Road for 40 minutes (not unheard of) then
people in Croydon would still have an express
route to Bromley.

Possibly two parts, but no more. The biggest problem with London is that
travelling from one outer London town to another is very tricky, without
either a very slow bus ride or going via Central London.

I still reckon that a frequent bus service from Croydon towards Heathrow
(the new X26), as well as an express route from Croydon toward Bromley,
Bexleyheath, Dartford and Bluewater has real potential.

I have not used the 726 in years, since it stopped running from the Bexley
area. But in the days when I did use it (just before it was cut), it was a
well used route, on my trips from Bexleyheath to Croydon.

Best wishes