Old February 28th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fantasy bus routes

If you had the power to add/change/remove bus routes, what would you do?

There would be four changes I would make:

1. 35 - Shoreditch to Clapham Junction. I'd extend the Shoreditch end to run
to Hackney Central and truncate the Clapham Junction at Brixton. So there
would now be a link between South London and Hackney.

2. 345 - Peckham to South Kensington. I'd reroute this at Brixton so that it
runs along the route of the changed 35 to Clapham Junction

3. 197 - Norwood Junction - East Croydon. I can't see the point of such a
short route. I'd extend this to Thornton Heath.

4. 80 - Hackbridge to Belmont. This is one crazy route which meanders all
over the place - a shame, since Sutton seems to have very few links to
anywhere. I'd keep the section from Belmont to Sutton, then reroute the rest
of the route via the route of the 407 up to Purley Way, then the route of
the 289 up to Thornton Heath, then the route of the 109 up to Streatham.

Old February 28th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

E. Zackatackali wrote:
If you had the power to add/change/remove bus routes, what would you do?

Finally get the 228 running, from Blackheath via Greenwich centre to
North Greenwich.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/lewgreennews/display.var.484137.0.threearea_bus_route_delayed.p hp

--
Mark Etherington

Old February 28th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

E. Zackatackali wrote:
If you had the power to add/change/remove bus routes, what would you do?

Make the C1 a bit more useful (i.e. faster) by diverting it between
Brompton Road and Sloane Street via Pont Street. And use some proper
buses on it during District closures, since it will provide a route
between Earl's Court, South Ken, Sloane Square and Victoria.

Supplement the C3 with another route that runs further afield - the
service from Sands End to anywhere else is a bit crappy. Running a route
from Sands End to South Kensington might be a start; you could even
leave the C1 alone and extend this hypothetical Sands End route from
South Kensington to Sloane Square and Victoria via Pont St & Sloane St.
(I wouldn't use the 360 route as it is plagued by difficult turns and
the inability to maneouvre past Range Rovers).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 1st 05, 01:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"E. Zackatackali" wrote in message

If you had the power to add/change/remove bus routes, what would you do?

Extend the 41 to Camden Town and Euston, so that there is a decent route
from Turnpike Lane to Camden Town (the 29 is circuitous and tends to suffer
from a severe case of Harringay).

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 1st 05, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

E. Zackatackali wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 28 Feb 2005:

If you had the power to add/change/remove bus routes, what would you do?

There would be four changes I would make:

1. 35 - Shoreditch to Clapham Junction. I'd extend the Shoreditch end to run
to Hackney Central and truncate the Clapham Junction at Brixton. So there
would now be a link between South London and Hackney.

It's not all that many years since it *did* run to Clapton Pond.

2. 345 - Peckham to South Kensington. I'd reroute this at Brixton so that it
runs along the route of the changed 35 to Clapham Junction

Going back to what old bus maps tell me happened some 40 years or so
ago. Originally the 345 and the 45 were the same route, then they split
and the 345 was called the 45a, then the PTB decided to get rid of "a"s
and renumbered them.

Don't know the other two routes you mention. But what I would do, if I
had my way, would be to take either the 109 or the 250 or the 118, and I
don't think it much matters which, and have it turn left at Lambeth Town
Hall and go along Acre Lane, terminating at Clapham Common instead of
Brixton Station. It would make my life *so* much easier....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old March 1st 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , E. Zackatackali
writes
If you had the power to add/change/remove bus routes, what would you do?

I'd put the 9 back to Liverpool Street Station (but still with plenty of
short turns to the Aldwych).

Also.......
4. 80 - Hackbridge to Belmont. This is one crazy route which meanders all
over the place

I don't think I've ever seen a route wander around as much as the 191
from Brimsdown to Edmonton Green. (Although the H13 from Ruislip Lido
to Wiltshire Lane probably has the two closes-to-each-other termini.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old March 1st 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"E. Zackatackali" wrote the following in:

If you had the power to add/change/remove bus routes, what would
you do?

15: I'd extend this to Canning Town. Why Blackwall station? It's a
bizarre place for the route to end with the only interchange being to
the DLR. If it continued a few minutes more to Canning Town then you'd
have interchange with loads of buses and trains, making it much easier
for people to continue their journey.

69: I'd like to introduce countdown for a few stops on this route, but
that's purely for selfish reasons. It'd make it much easier for me to
decide whether to catch the bus or walk to the station!

--
message by Robin May.
Drinking Special Brew will get you drunk in much the same way that

http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Old March 1st 05, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

127 - extend North from Tooting Broadway to somewhere useful, probably
Earlsfield and Clapham Jct.

New route from South to SE London, providing access to key rail stations
without needing to go into London Bridge as at present.
Mitcham-Tooting-Streatham-Dulwich-Catford-Eltham-Woolwich. That would rock
like a *******, that route.

Make all routes cyclic, so that instead of running over the same route
repeatedly, they switch to a different one, eventually cycling through
several routes and getting back to where they started.

Buses would display their next route as well as their current route.

For passengers that would've wanted to change to the new route anyway, they
can just stay on the bus, and for those who don't, the system is no
different from how it is now.

You'd need to abandon strict timetabling, because it's ****ing ****.
Instead, buses should set out from their starting location for any given
route when the next bus on the same route reaches a given trigger point.
Passengers might be sitting on a stationary bus for a while, but they'd only
be waiting at the stop for the same bus anyway.

BTN

Old March 1st 05, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

If you had the power to add/change/remove bus routes, what would you do?

Introduce a direct Harrow to Ealing bus route, linking at least town
centre with town centre. Takes under 20 mins by car; but a very
awkward journey by bus/tube, taking up to an hour, with multiple
changes.

(Or, seeing as this is fantasy, extend the Greenford line to Harrow by
light rail, as someone suggested here recently... if only...)
Old March 1st 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

4. 80 - Hackbridge to Belmont. This is one crazy route which meanders all
over the place

I don't think I've ever seen a route wander around as much as the 191
from Brimsdown to Edmonton Green. (Although the H13 from Ruislip Lido
to Wiltshire Lane probably has the two closes-to-each-other termini.)

Apart from the H10 of course - Harrow Bus Stn to Harrow Bus Stn, via
much of the local area