London Banter

-   -   The restoration of St. John's Woo Station (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2843-restoration-st-johns-woo-station.html)

TheOneKEA March 11th 05 10:44 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

I noticed that the restoration of St. John's Wood appears to be
proceeding nicely. However, I noticed that the Bakerloo brown tiling
that once lined the platform wall panels is being replaced with...
Bakerloo brown tiling. NOT Jubilee grey tiling.

Is this intentional?

JMUpton2000 March 11th 05 10:51 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

I believe that because SJW station is a listed building/structure, LUL are
required to replace/restore like with like.

If it where a non-protected station, then I would have expected the tiling
to have been changed to Jubilee silver though.

oups.com...

Richard J. March 11th 05 11:11 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

JMUpton2000 wrote [his top-posting corrected here]:
"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
I noticed that the restoration of St. John's Wood appears to be
proceeding nicely. However, I noticed that the Bakerloo brown
tiling that once lined the platform wall panels is being replaced
with... Bakerloo brown tiling. NOT Jubilee grey tiling.

Is this intentional?

I believe that because SJW station is a listed building/structure,
LUL are required to replace/restore like with like.

Tube Lines[1] say that "thousands of wall tiles will be removed and
replaced with new hand-made tiles to replicate their original 1900s
character", so it sounds as if they are indeed trying to replicate the
original design (which actually dates from 1939).

[1] Press release http://www.tubelines.com/docs/05_july_04.pdf

If it where a non-protected station, then I would have expected the
tiling to have been changed to Jubilee silver though.

Except that light grey tiles wouldn't provide enough contrast with white
to be an effective design.

--
Richard J.

John Rowland March 12th 05 01:47 AM

"JMUpton2000" security novels @f ree uk.com wrote in message

If it where a non-protected station, then I would have expected
the tiling to have been changed to Jubilee silver though.

Is it really policy to make all platforms on a particular line look the
same? That's astonishing.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Greg Hennessy March 12th 05 09:32 AM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:11:30 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

JMUpton2000 wrote [his top-posting corrected here]:
"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
I noticed that the restoration of St. John's Wood appears to be
proceeding nicely. However, I noticed that the Bakerloo brown
tiling that once lined the platform wall panels is being replaced
with... Bakerloo brown tiling. NOT Jubilee grey tiling.

Is this intentional?

I believe that because SJW station is a listed building/structure,
LUL are required to replace/restore like with like.

Tube Lines[1] say that "thousands of wall tiles will be removed and
replaced with new hand-made tiles to replicate their original 1900s
character", so it sounds as if they are indeed trying to replicate the
original design (which actually dates from 1939).

What an idiotic waste of time and money, it a tube station for chrissakes.
--
Delenda est Carthago

thoss March 12th 05 09:36 AM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a station
named after him?
--
Thoss

Richard J. March 12th 05 10:34 AM

wrote:

JMUpton2000 wrote [his top-posting corrected here]:
"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
I noticed that the restoration of St. John's Wood appears to be
proceeding nicely. However, I noticed that the Bakerloo brown
tiling that once lined the platform wall panels is being replaced
with... Bakerloo brown tiling. NOT Jubilee grey tiling.

Is this intentional?

I believe that because SJW station is a listed building/structure,
LUL are required to replace/restore like with like.

Tube Lines[1] say that "thousands of wall tiles will be removed and
replaced with new hand-made tiles to replicate their original 1900s
character", so it sounds as if they are indeed trying to replicate
the original design (which actually dates from 1939).

What an idiotic waste of time and money, it a tube station for
chrissakes.

So?
--
Richard J.

John Ray March 12th 05 12:06 PM

Richard J. wrote:

What an idiotic waste of time and money, it a tube station for
chrissakes.

So?

So that's why the fares are so high?

--
John Ray

Brimstone March 12th 05 12:09 PM

thoss wrote:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a station
named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Greg Hennessy March 12th 05 12:24 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:34:09 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Tube Lines[1] say that "thousands of wall tiles will be removed and
replaced with new hand-made tiles to replicate their original 1900s
character", so it sounds as if they are indeed trying to replicate
the original design (which actually dates from 1939).

What an idiotic waste of time and money, it a tube station for
chrissakes.

So?

Given the very finite levels of time & resources for refurbishment of tube
stations.

Wasting it on hand made tiles + the time/expense of fitting them to a
*single* station just beggars belief.

greg

--
Delenda est Carthago

[email protected] March 12th 05 01:41 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

Is SJW a listed station?

Certainly it's not one of those listed at the back of Capital
Transport's excellant book "Underground Architecture".

In fact, the platforms here have been comprehendively trashed. The
original biscuit-coloured tiles (including the Harold Stabler pictorial
designs), name freeze and associated ceremic roudels have been either
hacked off or crudely plastered over. (I understand Tubelines say they
"might" be able to save "some" of the the Stabler pictorials - not that
they were in any danger until Tubelines got their hands on them!!!)

Replacement tiling does not correctly replecate that which it replaces,
e.g. the contrasting colour banding used as a relief is not of the same
pattern nor being applied in the same places.

The tiles here were generally in a good condition, notwithstanding a
patina of age, and their destruction is nothing short of official
vandalism. This does not auger well for the future of other 'classic'
LU stations under the PPP dictat (i.e. Aldgate East scheduled next for
demolition, and the supposedly 'listed' Bow Road where almost every
existing feature has been removed at footbridge and pltform level.

DOESN'T ADMIT TO WORKING FOR LONDON UNDERGROUND

Robin May March 12th 05 02:01 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

wrote the following in:
oups.com

The tiles here were generally in a good condition, notwithstanding
a patina of age, and their destruction is nothing short of
official vandalism. This does not auger well for the future of
other 'classic' LU stations under the PPP dictat (i.e. Aldgate
East scheduled next for demolition, and the supposedly 'listed'
Bow Road where almost every existing feature has been removed at
footbridge and pltform level.

On this subject, what have they done to Bow Road? It seems to me that
their "improvement" consists of hiding everything interesting behind a
horribly boring white partition wall that removes all the station's
character. At first I hoped that this wall was a temporary thing during
the refurbishment but it has gradually dawned on me that no, this is
how things are going to stay.

--
message by Robin May.
Drinking Special Brew will get you drunk in much the same way that

http://robinmay.fotopic.net

David Splett March 12th 05 02:32 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

wrote in message
oups.com...
The tiles here were generally in a good condition, notwithstanding a
patina of age, and their destruction is nothing short of official
vandalism. This does not auger well for the future of other 'classic'
LU stations under the PPP dictat (i.e. Aldgate East scheduled next for
demolition, and the supposedly 'listed' Bow Road where almost every
existing feature has been removed at footbridge and pltform level.

I agree with every word. Apart from Kennington (and possibly Borough), all
of the recent refurbishments have been disastrous. Given the limited funds,
replacing the tiles at Manor House and St. John's Wood seems pointless.
Tufnell Park, which I agree probably did merit re-tiling, now looks plain
hideous. The island platform at West Hampstead now looks garish and untidy,
destroying the 1930s simplicity of the original.

TheOneKEA March 12th 05 08:19 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

snip

What about Earl's Court?

Nick Cooper March 12th 05 09:48 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:09:06 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

thoss wrote:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a station
named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Clearly your grasp of history is almost as non-existent as your sense
of humour....

--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Brimstone March 12th 05 10:17 PM

wrote:

thoss wrote:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a
station named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Clearly your grasp of history is almost as non-existent as your sense
of humour....

On this particular occasion in direct inverse proportion to your sense of
self-importance perhaps?

Michael Hoffman March 12th 05 10:23 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

Brimstone wrote:
Nick Cooper wrote:
[Brimstone]:
[thoss]:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a
station named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Clearly your grasp of history is almost as non-existent as your sense
of humour....

On this particular occasion in direct inverse proportion to your sense of
self-importance perhaps?

I don't see what pointing out your error has to do with anyone's sense
of self-importance.
--
Michael Hoffman

James March 12th 05 11:24 PM

Brimstone wrote:
thoss wrote:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a

station
named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Must be hungry then.

Brimstone March 13th 05 08:13 AM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
Nick Cooper wrote:
[Brimstone]:
[thoss]:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a
station named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Clearly your grasp of history is almost as non-existent as your sense
of humour....

On this particular occasion in direct inverse proportion to your sense of
self-importance perhaps?

I don't see what pointing out your error has to do with anyone's sense
of self-importance.

Not necessarily the pointing out but the manner?

Nick Cooper March 13th 05 08:50 AM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:13:59 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
Nick Cooper wrote:
[Brimstone]:
[thoss]:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a
station named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Clearly your grasp of history is almost as non-existent as your sense
of humour....

On this particular occasion in direct inverse proportion to your sense of
self-importance perhaps?

I don't see what pointing out your error has to do with anyone's sense
of self-importance.

Not necessarily the pointing out but the manner?

Two self-evident facts pointed out succintly and without elaboration.
Obviously you're pretty clueless when it comes to what counts as
"self-importance," as well. What's up, can't behave like an adult and
accept you ****ed up?

Nick Cooper March 13th 05 08:52 AM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

wrote:

thoss wrote:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a
station named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Clearly your grasp of history is almost as non-existent as your sense
of humour....

On this particular occasion in direct inverse proportion to your sense of
self-importance perhaps?

Or you're inability to accept that you were in error, perhaps?

Mrs Redboots March 13th 05 09:12 AM

Nick Cooper wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 13 Mar 2005:

Or you're inability to accept that you were in error, perhaps?

What about yours, confusing "you are" and "your"?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Brimstone March 13th 05 09:49 AM

wrote:

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
Nick Cooper wrote:
[Brimstone]:
[thoss]:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a
station named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Clearly your grasp of history is almost as non-existent as your
sense
of humour....

On this particular occasion in direct inverse proportion to your
sense of self-importance perhaps?

I don't see what pointing out your error has to do with anyone's
sense
of self-importance.

Not necessarily the pointing out but the manner?

Two self-evident facts pointed out succintly and without elaboration.
Obviously you're pretty clueless when it comes to what counts as
"self-importance," as well. What's up, can't behave like an adult and
accept you ****ed up?

Quite obviously you can't read English. Go back and try again.

Brimstone March 13th 05 09:52 AM

wrote:

thoss wrote:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a
station named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Clearly your grasp of history is almost as non-existent as your
sense of humour....

On this particular occasion in direct inverse proportion to your
sense of self-importance perhaps?

Or you're inability to accept that you were in error, perhaps?

When you've learnt to read and write English feel free to raise the subject
again.

Nick Cooper March 13th 05 05:12 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:12:50 +0000, Mrs Redboots
wrote:

Nick Cooper wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 13 Mar 2005:

Or you're inability to accept that you were in error, perhaps?

What about yours, confusing "you are" and "your"?

No, just a bad bit of editing when I changed what I originally started
to type.

Nick Cooper March 13th 05 05:17 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

wrote:

thoss wrote:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a
station named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Clearly your grasp of history is almost as non-existent as your
sense of humour....

On this particular occasion in direct inverse proportion to your
sense of self-importance perhaps?

Or you're inability to accept that you were in error, perhaps?

When you've learnt to read and write English feel free to raise the subject
again.

Well, **** me, but obviously I've conned all those editors and
publishers who've paid for my writing in the past! Still, I think a
bit of bad editing when I changed what I first started to type pales
into insignificance compared to your stunning belief that the film
industry didn't exist before 1939.

Nick Cooper March 13th 05 05:17 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

wrote:

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
Nick Cooper wrote:
[Brimstone]:
[thoss]:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a
station named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Clearly your grasp of history is almost as non-existent as your
sense
of humour....

On this particular occasion in direct inverse proportion to your
sense of self-importance perhaps?

I don't see what pointing out your error has to do with anyone's
sense
of self-importance.

Not necessarily the pointing out but the manner?

Two self-evident facts pointed out succintly and without elaboration.
Obviously you're pretty clueless when it comes to what counts as
"self-importance," as well. What's up, can't behave like an adult and
accept you ****ed up?

Quite obviously you can't read English. Go back and try again.

And what am I supposed to have misunderstood, Mr Smartarse? Your
pig-****-thick belief that there was no film industry before 1939?

Brimstone March 13th 05 05:45 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
Nick Cooper wrote:
[Brimstone]:
[thoss]:
[...]

Flattery will get you nowhere. Keep reading and make an effort to
understand.

Brimstone March 13th 05 05:47 PM

wrote:

thoss wrote:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a
station named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Clearly your grasp of history is almost as non-existent as your
sense of humour....

On this particular occasion in direct inverse proportion to your
sense of self-importance perhaps?

Or you're inability to accept that you were in error, perhaps?

When you've learnt to read and write English feel free to raise the
subject
again.

Well, **** me, but obviously I've conned all those editors and
publishers who've paid for my writing in the past! Still, I think a
bit of bad editing when I changed what I first started to type pales
into insignificance compared to your stunning belief that the film
industry didn't exist before 1939.

It's true some people are easily misled, but I'd be interested to know how
you arrive at the conclusion that I believe that there was no film industry
before 1939.

Nick Cooper March 13th 05 06:26 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:47:39 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

thoss wrote:
[...]

The station - which you said "predates the film industry" - dates from
1939.

Nick Cooper March 13th 05 06:27 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:45:14 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
Nick Cooper wrote:
[Brimstone]:
[thoss]:
[...]

I'll take that as a "can't," then.

Brimstone March 13th 05 06:41 PM

Nick Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:47:39 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

thoss wrote:
[...]

So are you saying that there was no St. John's Wood station before that
date?

Nick Cooper March 13th 05 06:49 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:41:39 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

Nick Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:47:39 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

thoss wrote:
[...]

No, but then the station under discussion is the Jubilee/ex-Bakerloo
one. You said "the station predates the film industry," not "the
station _name_ predates the film industry."

Brimstone March 13th 05 06:59 PM

wrote:

Nick Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:47:39 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

thoss wrote:
[...]

So it's OK for you to make a mistake but no one else, is that what you're
saying?

Nick Cooper March 13th 05 07:34 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

wrote:

Nick Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:47:39 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

thoss wrote:
[...]

Your entire posting was based on a mistake. That's somewhat different
from making a minor editing error in any otherwise valid observation.

Brimstone March 13th 05 07:41 PM

wrote:

Nick Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:47:39 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

wrote:

thoss wrote:
[...]

If only your observation had been valid this pointless sub thread wouldn't
have happened.

Nick Cooper March 13th 05 07:50 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

wrote:

Nick Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:47:39 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

wrote:

thoss wrote:
[...]

I hadn't pointed out your error initially, you mean?

Brimstone March 13th 05 07:53 PM

wrote:

Nick Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:47:39 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

wrote:

thoss wrote:
[...]

Is there any point to this?

Michael Hoffman March 13th 05 07:56 PM

The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

Brimstone wrote:

Is there any point to this?

Oh please go on, this is highly entertaining for those of us
who haven't already killfiled this thread.
--
Michael Hoffman

Brimstone March 13th 05 08:17 PM

Brimstone wrote:

Is there any point to this?

Oh please go on, this is highly entertaining for those of us
who haven't already killfiled this thread.

Glad to learn that the audience is enjoying it. :-)