London Banter

-   -   Oyster flambe (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2845-oyster-flambe.html)

Orienteer March 12th 05 07:16 PM

Oyster flambe

Another bendy bus fi
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4343555.stm

Neil Williams March 12th 05 07:40 PM

Oyster flambe

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:16:12 GMT, "Orienteer"
wrote:

Another bendy bus fi
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4343555.stm

Why *is* London having so much trouble with these things? I never
heard of major problems with Citaros (admittedly not the bendy
variety) in either Hamburg or Manchester, where there are significant
numbers of them.

Are they not being maintained correctly, or is there a specific design
fault in the bendy variety that hasn't been fixed yet? (I thought,
like other posters, that it had).

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Robin May March 12th 05 08:12 PM

Oyster flambe

(Neil Williams) wrote the following
in:

wrote:

Another bendy bus fi
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4343555.stm

Why *is* London having so much trouble with these things? I never
heard of major problems with Citaros (admittedly not the bendy
variety) in either Hamburg or Manchester, where there are
significant numbers of them.

Are they not being maintained correctly, or is there a specific
design fault in the bendy variety that hasn't been fixed yet? (I
thought, like other posters, that it had).

This seems to be a rather minor fire. The previous fires completely
destroyed the buses, this one seems to have been nowhere near as
serious because no damage was done to the passenger compartment.

--
message by Robin May.
Drinking Special Brew will get you drunk in much the same way that

http://robinmay.fotopic.net

Paul Corfield March 13th 05 09:50 AM

Oyster flambe

wrote:

Another bendy bus fi
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4343555.stm

Why *is* London having so much trouble with these things? I never
heard of major problems with Citaros (admittedly not the bendy
variety) in either Hamburg or Manchester, where there are significant
numbers of them.

There are plenty of photos of Citaros on the continent going up in
flames.

Are they not being maintained correctly, or is there a specific design
fault in the bendy variety that hasn't been fixed yet? (I thought,
like other posters, that it had).

This incident was caused by a car driving into the engine thus causing
the fire. The fire was contained within the engine compartment and did
not engulf the whole vehicle.

I don't believe we are talking about the same problem as previously
hence remarks about maintenance are not applicable.
--
Paul C

[email protected] March 14th 05 10:06 AM

Oyster flambe

Paul Corfield wrote:

This incident was caused by a car driving into the engine thus

causing
the fire. The fire was contained within the engine compartment and

did
not engulf the whole vehicle.

Why does a car driving into the engine compartment cause a fire. Seems
like a design fault. Cars drive into each other all the time and don't
catch fire and they have fuel that is far more combustable than a bus.

Kevin

Paul Terry March 14th 05 10:52 AM

Oyster flambe

In message .com,
writes

Cars drive into each other all the time and don't catch fire and they
have fuel that is far more combustable than a bus.

In fact, cars DO catch fire in collisions - 1,200 cases in 2001 in the
UK (a 7% increase over 2000) according to stats released by the Deputy
PM's office.

Of course, the appalling rate of car accidents, injuries and fatalities
gets very little publicity compared with even a minor problem on public
transport.

--
Paul Terry

Lars Elmvang March 14th 05 12:52 PM

Oyster flambe

wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

This incident was caused by a car driving into the engine thus

causing

the fire. The fire was contained within the engine compartment and

did

not engulf the whole vehicle.

Why does a car driving into the engine compartment cause a fire. Seems
like a design fault. Cars drive into each other all the time and don't
catch fire and they have fuel that is far more combustable than a bus.

Kevin

That doesn't have to have anything to do with the bus. It might very
well have been the car catching fire, and then the fire spreading to the
bus. A very likely thing to happen actually.

--
Lars Elmvang
Min mailadresse finder du ved kun at skrive det overeksponerede

Paul Corfield March 14th 05 04:31 PM

Oyster flambe

On 14 Mar 2005 03:06:54 -0800, wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

This incident was caused by a car driving into the engine thus

causing
the fire. The fire was contained within the engine compartment and

did
not engulf the whole vehicle.

Why does a car driving into the engine compartment cause a fire. Seems
like a design fault. Cars drive into each other all the time and don't
catch fire and they have fuel that is far more combustable than a bus.

I was simply repeating what I'd read elsewhere. I'm not an expert on
the relative combustion risks of cars vs buses.
--
Paul C

Richard J. March 14th 05 05:54 PM

Oyster flambe

Paul Corfield wrote:

This incident was caused by a car driving into the engine thus
causing the fire. The fire was contained within the engine
compartment and did not engulf the whole vehicle.

Why does a car driving into the engine compartment cause a fire.
Seems like a design fault. Cars drive into each other all the time
and don't catch fire and they have fuel that is far more
combustable than a bus.

I was simply repeating what I'd read elsewhere. I'm not an expert
on the relative combustion risks of cars vs buses.

Tonight's Standard (yes, I know, not the most reliable source) talks
about a minor collision that might have occurred. Curiously, none of
the original news reports that I have seen mentioned a collision, so it
sounds as if it was very minor. The Standard also suggests that the
fire suppression system in the engine compartment, installed last year
after the major fires on bendy buses, failed to work.
--
Richard J.

[email protected] March 14th 05 08:28 PM

Oyster flambe

Richard J. wrote:
Tonight's Standard (yes, I know, not the most reliable source) talks

Also reported in the register:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...uses_reattack/