Old April 1st 05, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default District Stock

Travelling in by car earlier this week on the M4 I pulled up next to a
freshly painted D stock on a trailer (I assume going to Ealing depot)

It was carriage 17002. From the outside, looks similar to the one they
redid a few years ago, red doors, white and blue trim. Two main things I
noticed the press or opens have been removed (well there were never turned
on anyway) and there are big disabled stickers on the end doors.

Also all the glass looks to be heavily tinted (I think they were anyway on
this stock) so I guess that is the poor man's Air Conditioning fitted

Regards

Leo

Old April 1st 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Leo Mindel wrote:
Travelling in by car earlier this week on the M4 I pulled up next to

freshly painted D stock on a trailer (I assume going to Ealing depot)

It was carriage 17002. From the outside, looks similar to the one

they
redid a few years ago, red doors, white and blue trim. Two main

things I
noticed the press or opens have been removed (well there were never

turned
on anyway) and there are big disabled stickers on the end doors.

If it was 17002 then isn't it the one they did re-do a few years ago?

Old April 1st 05, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Leo Mindel" wrote in message
Travelling in by car earlier this week on the M4 I pulled up next to a
freshly painted D stock on a trailer (I assume going to Ealing depot)

It was carriage 17002. From the outside, looks similar to the one they
redid a few years ago, red doors, white and blue trim. Two main things I
noticed the press or opens have been removed (well there were never turned
on anyway) and there are big disabled stickers on the end doors.

Do you mean the buttons to open the doors ? If I remember correctly these
were used during winter months, but during warmer months train operators
were instructed to open all doors at station stops to help with ventilation.

This is remembering from 3+ years ago when I was last in London, so things
may have changed since then..

Andrew.

Old April 2nd 05, 01:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew wrote:

Do you mean the buttons to open the doors ? If I remember correctly

these
were used during winter months, but during warmer months train

operators
were instructed to open all doors at station stops to help with

ventilation.

This is remembering from 3+ years ago when I was last in London, so

things
may have changed since then..

Andrew.

The buttons don't seem to be used at all nowadays. At a normal stop
all the doors open and the button illuminates, at terminals this
happens then the door buttons go off.

Occasionally the drivers do something at the terminals which makes only
one door per carriage stay open, although I don't know what this is but
it keeps it nice and warm

--
Chris

Old April 3rd 05, 01:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Leo Mindel" wrote in message
Travelling in by car earlier this week on the M4 I pulled up next to a
freshly painted D stock on a trailer (I assume going to Ealing depot)

It was carriage 17002. From the outside, looks similar to the one they
redid a few years ago, red doors, white and blue trim. Two main things I
noticed the press or opens have been removed (well there were never turned
on anyway) and there are big disabled stickers on the end doors.

Also all the glass looks to be heavily tinted (I think they were anyway on
this stock) so I guess that is the poor man's Air Conditioning fitted

I just wish they had chosen a different colour scheme though.

As the indicators on the Wimbledon branch line are often wrong (it will say
its an Edgware Road train when its really a City service and vice versa)
using the different colours was a useful way of telling the "true"
destination very easily.

True, if you travel frequently, you know that the carriage's look different
but it was so much easier to describe to other people ("wait on platform for
a red/blue coloured train" or a "white" train)

However, having travelled on the refurbished new stock, at least it looks
nice inside..

Regards
Sunil